Ernesto Valverde - V1

Icarium

Lifestealer
I hope he leaves and I hope we get invincible run so that this season will have something good to remember and I will not say shit about valverde anymore. I will appreciate him but ultimately realize he is not the right coach for us. Forget about results, I just don't like Valverde Barca team. Lucho Barca was much better imo.

FCBfan22

There are 2 most likely scenarios:

a) Valverde learns from mistakes, becomes a bit less pragmatic, rotates more and tells the board what signings would he like for the next season right now when Iniesta announces his departure.

b) Same old, same old. We tank the CL again and maybe win the Copa. In the Liga there is only one way for us, if we don't change something.

I really hope that he improves some things next season.

Devils

His rotations and man management are just too big of concerns for me.

1) Rotations - Awful. To this day the biggest EV mystery is why the hell didn't he rotate against Leganes? Our 30+ year old players should never be playing as much as they did this season.

2) Man management- This is confusing to me. Through the course of the season he's had/having periods of freeing out certain players. He did it to Gomes, Semedo, Denis and Mina. And then later recalled these players. Hard to understand what his approach is here...

I don't get it. Gomes comes out with a statement saying he is very unhappy at Barca and doesn't enjoy playing football here. EV rewards him with starting spots and subs him in against Roma when we are on the ropes.

Some of the decisions EV has made has simply been madness and I am completely unable to find any logical reason why he made them.

Ursegor

World Champion
He did rotate vs. Leganes.

Of all the starters against Roma the following did not start vs. Leganes: Alba, Umtiti, Busquets, Iniesta.

Plus Messi was coming back from international break where he sat out 2 consecutive games.

I would believe the tiredness excuse if the team did somewhat well and started going downhill after an hour or so. We got dominated from start to finish though. And that's never down to EV only. He did fuck up with the formation (4-4-2 vs. 3-5-2) and never reacted to the obvious which is a big concern in itself but this club somehow never puts blame on the players except the fringe players who rarely leave the bench anyway, like Gomes. It's always "Fraudrique, Fraudverde, Patata". With the quality gap between Roma and Barca this team should be able to see out a 4-1 advantage even without a coach.

pepi

And who would you blame? Because not one player performed until he put in Dembele at the end of the game ...

Alik

Of all the starters against Roma the following did not start vs. Leganes: Alba, Umtiti, Busquets, Iniesta.

Plus Messi was coming back from international break where he sat out 2 consecutive games.

I would believe the tiredness excuse if the team did somewhat well and started going downhill after an hour or so. We got dominated from start to finish though. And that's never down to EV only. He did fuck up with the formation (4-4-2 vs. 3-5-2) and never reacted to the obvious which is a big concern in itself but this club somehow never puts blame on the players except the fringe players who rarely leave the bench anyway, like Gomes. It's always "Fraudrique, Fraudverde, Patata". With the quality gap between Roma and Barca this team should be able to see out a 4-1 advantage even without a coach.

We would probably have played better this match without the coach.

BarçaBarça

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but in the end it is his responsibility. Although the players certainly underestimated Roma as well, he could also have started Dembele to show the team and the world that we needed a goal to end this quick. The real deadsin was not making any changes to a team who desperately needed changes: Even Denis or Alena would give some much needed spark, and that is the main mistake of that evening.

Rotation could be better with him, but everyone also forgets that Real has played 2 games in CWC while we played 2 more in Copa and yet everyone says that we lose in CL because we bet on La Copa.. Simply not true.

His rotations and man management are just too big of concerns for me.

1) Rotations - Awful. To this day the biggest EV mystery is why the hell didn't he rotate against Leganes? Our 30+ year old players should never be playing as much as they did this season.

2) Man management- This is confusing to me. Through the course of the season he's had/having periods of freeing out certain players. He did it to Gomes, Semedo, Denis and Mina. And then later recalled these players. Hard to understand what his approach is here...

I don't get it. Gomes comes out with a statement saying he is very unhappy at Barca and doesn't enjoy playing football here. EV rewards him with starting spots and subs him in against Roma when we are on the ropes.

Some of the decisions EV has made has simply been madness and I am completely unable to find any logical reason why he made them.

1) Not awful, but surely not great either. Would you bench Messi? No, you can't. Benching Suarez and Iniesta is also hard: They are not reasonable and says "OK, real fine" when told to sit on the bench, and also our squad-players are not good enough to secure victory without them (yet nobody takes that factor into the assessment when criticizing Valverde). Everyone likes to praise their idols, like "Iniesta is the most humble and best person every" - and I fully agree with that, but lets not be naive and think that he plainly accepts to be rested - it is tough to make that decision, and - surprise - part of man-managing a squad is to keep the leaders satisfied and not turn against you.

2) That is part of the coaching job which is completely invisible to us. Denis has been shit, and the resurrected again - it is hard to say what does the trick, but it is clear that he isn't clueless about getting the best out of his squad. He even made Deulofeu play to our benefit during one period of the season even though he clearly doesn't have the skills or mindset to play for Barca. I don't know about Semedo - it would be a shame if he doesn't get eased into the team, but until now I will give him the benefit of the doubt - if he doesn't get more minutes next season, Valverde has surely made another mistake.

Roma game was a huuuge mistake from him, especially with the missing substitutions, but also with Dembele not in the lineup, that is on point.

gr98

[tw]988463106455056384[/tw]

If only AS weren't unreliable :(

https://www.football-espana.net/71172/reports-valverde-wants-barca-exit

Barcelona Coach Ernesto Valverde is considering leaving the club after just one season despite being on the verge of a domestic double, say reports in Spain.

The 54-year-old moved to the Camp Nou from Athletic Bilbao last summer and despite leading his side to domestic dominance this season, his relationship with the club’s board is said to be strained.

Diario AS reports Valverde – who has a deal with Barca until June 2019 – is considering leaving the Catalan giants despite winning the Copa del Rey and needing just one point from five games to win La Liga.

A report in El Mundo Deportivo on Saturday, reportedly leaked directly from the club’s board, suggested the Coach would be dismissed should he fail to defeat Sevilla in the Copa final.

As it turned out, the Blaugrana triumphed 5-0 but the club’s exit in the Champions League quarter-finals at the hands of Roma is said to have infuriated the board.

The players reportedly support Valverde and were hugely upset at the report in El Mundo Deportivo, claim AS, but nonetheless the possibility of a summer exit is real.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
AS' Barcelona reporters are better than MDs who only act as puppets of the board and their propaganda. Marca and AS also got better football writers than both MD and Sport.

BarcaOG

Banned
I really hope he does the right thing and leaves. Real will be intent on doing better in the league next year and he's not a CL coach. We'll not cope with the pressure.

pepi

If they get Wenger it will be nice. He practices nice attacking football, develops youngsters and KNOWS WHAT IS CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. Just imagine Wenger with strong players like Messi and co. and with La Masia at his disposal.

Home of Barca Fans