Ernesto Valverde - V1

serghei

We were half assing it in the 2nd to preserve energy. I don't have a problem with that. Just that we subbed in fecking Iniesta to do what exactly? He didn't change anything at all. He wasn't sharp, didn't end up controlling the match from that point, so why even play him instead of Alena, who was fitter and hungrier to make an impact on the game? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

We definitely were in the second half. Most of the game hapenned in our box all game. Very rarely did we advance into their danger area and they had more clear cut chances than us too.

They didn't look threatening at all.

Of course most of the game happened in our box as we were protecting a 2-0 lead.

JamDav1982

We definitely were in the second half. Most of the game hapenned in our box all game. Very rarely did we advance into their danger area and they had more clear cut chances than us too.

Not outplayed as Barca stopped trying to play as much.

They had more of the ball and chances but that was down to Barca dropping off.

Boring as fuck to watch but cant forget the past few seasons Barca have totally run out of steam around the CL QF point and if games like this lessen chance of that then so be it.

Neymessi

We were half assing it in the 2nd to preserve energy. I don't have a problem with that. Just that we subbed in fecking Iniesta to do what exactly? He didn't change anything at all. He wasn't sharp, didn't end up controlling the match from that point, so why even play him instead of Alena, who was fitter and hungrier to make an impact on the game? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Half assing the second half to protect energy? Sounds reasonable but we played pretty much like today's second half against chelsea in the entirety of first leg and the last 70 minutes of second leg and protecting energy doesn't seem like a right excuse there and many still made excuses for getting outplayed by chelsea like we were in control blah blah. We just got lucky, and messi happened. He isn't getting any hard criticism for his second half today with his weird ass subs and eveything but I am skeptical of him, very skeptical.

Not outplayed as Barca stopped trying to play as much.

They had more of the ball and chances but that was down to Barca dropping off.

Boring as fuck to watch but cant forget the past few seasons Barca have totally run out of steam around the CL QF point and if games like this lessen chance of that then so be it.

Yeah that reasons perfectly fits the dots. Not going to make any judgements so early. We just have to wait and watch.

Last edited:

serghei

Half assing the second half to protect energy? Sounds reasonable but we played pretty much like today's second half against chelsea in the entirety of first leg and the last 70 minutes of second leg and protecting energy doesn't seem like a right excuse there and many still made excuses for getting outplayed by chelsea like we were in control blah blah. We just got lucky, and messi happened. He isn't getting any hard criticism for his second half today with his weird ass subs and eveything but I am skeptical of him, very skeptical.

He's getting criticism from me for not playing the fresh young players on the bench. That is some shit squad management.

M

MessiCam

No it was clearly a choice to take foot off pedal and sit back a bit more in second half.

This what Valverde had to say about it...

Valverde: "In the first half, we pressured them a lot and we were determined to move forward. It's true that they pressed us a little in the second half and that cost us a lot."

Valverde: "First half was good. Second half we weren't. That's all I can say."

Valverde: "We may have lifted the foot from the accelerator unconsciously in the second half."

We were pinned back. It’s been a thing all season already, so nothing new... When pressed we struggle.

M

MessiCam

Subbing off Dembélé instead of Paco for Iniesta was also dumb. Paco offered nothing other than scoring that goal.

29 games gone a still unbeaten, no one would have predicted that back in August. Brilliant in the 1st half and very comfortable in the 2nd, great to see Dembele get more good minutes under his belt & also nice for Paco to get a start and a goal. I really don't get why people keep complaining about Valverde the club had a terrible pre season losing Neymar, Dembele being injured & two beatings by Madrid. Yet since then he has lost 1 game is into the CL last 8, unbeaten & top of the league & in the Copa final. In addition to that Messi, Rakitic, Alba, Busquets are all back to their very best under him & Roberto & Umtiti have improved massively this season. Also people moaning about him not using Alena at least he put him on the bench to give him match day experience unlike Pep the other week who instead of putting a youngster on the bench went with just 6 subs.

JamDav1982

This what Valverde had to say about it...

We were pinned back. It’s been a thing all season already, so nothing new... When pressed we struggle.

Clear as day they took foot off pedal and wouldnt expect him to come out and say that anyway.

Players that were pressing from front in first half completely stopped doing it and allowed them more of the ball.

M

MessiCam

Clear as day they took foot off pedal and wouldnt expect him to come out and say that anyway.

Players that were pressing from front in first half completely stopped doing it and allowed them more of the ball.

Lol. Yeah, I’m done. You go ahead.

M

MessiCam

No it wasnt so dumb. Was obvious why he took him off.

Which was? Oh I forgot, to bring Iniesta (who is recovering from a recent injury) on to sit deeper and soak up pressure because he ordered the team to take it easy. How silly of me...

Far more plausible reason is that he wanted an extra body in midfield who was capable of holding on to the ball because Bilbao had the better of us.

But anyway, like I said. You continue seeing what you want you want to see.

Home of Barca Fans