Ernesto Valverde - V1

Trickykid

Why are you reducing Mourinho's legacy to the most recent and unfortunate example? It's like speaking about Lucho at Barca and reducing him to the 4-0 and 3-0 vs PSG and Juve. For real? Mourinho's football, the best version of it, is very similar to what we're seeing now from Valverde.

Because he's shown performances like that many times, and EV haven't been close to replicate it. As I said, it's reasonable that you dislike EV, which you've shown from the beginning, but your agenda is too shrill when you're comparing him to Mou.

serghei

Because he's shown performances like that many times, and EV haven't been close to replicate it. As I said, it's reasonable that you dislike EV, which you've shown from the beginning, but your agenda is too shrill when you're comparing him to Mou.

Saying Valverde is similar to Mourinho in many ways is not me disliking him, nor is it criticism. It's just an observation, based on what he's brought in the team and what has he sacrificed. Again, Mourinho has won a lot of big things playing pragmatic football with emphasis on defense and counter-attacking.

What on earth are you on about?

Barca dominated them in first half where game was won.. free kicks not count now?

Then went more defensive in second half due to players either being tired or EV predicting they would be.

Barca were far better side. Created the most chances and were well worth the win.

This lazy 'Mourinho' comparison from is a joke if actually watched the game.

You seem to want Barca to continue to attack all the time against maybe the top counter attacking side on go at moment having played a few days previously....aye that makes sense.

No, I don't. I think playing in a pragmatic way gives you options, as long as it doesn't become the norm in every top game. Now, if he's going to start vs Roma on Camp Nou as if a 1-0 is a great result, and don't try to make a decisive step towards the qualification on Camp Nou, against a much inferior team, then, yes, I don't think it's the right approach.

There are moments when you need to be pragmatic, and moments when you need to be more daring.

JamDav1982

Saying Valverde is similar to Mourinho in many ways is not me disliking him, nor is it criticism. It's just an observation, based on what he's brought in the team and what has he sacrificed. Again, Mourinho has won a lot of big things playing pragmatic football with emphasis on defense and counter-attacking.

Valverde is not winning with emphasis on defence and counter attacking. That is the difference.

One minute you are saying you are comparing him to Mou at Real then next say the performance vs Atletico was Mourinho like as you twist it as if Barca sat back and defended all game and looked to nick a goal from a set piece.

That is not how game went at all shows why saying why it was 'Mourinho' like is way off.

serghei

Valverde is not winning with emphasis on defence and counter attacking. That is the difference.

One minute you are saying you are comparing him to Mou at Real then next say the performance vs Atletico was Mourinho like as you twist it as if Barca sat back and defended all game and looked to nick a goal from a set piece.

That is not how game went at all shows why saying why it was 'Mourinho' like is way off.

Really? Everywhere I read, on most major football forums the first idea that gets thrown in as to why we might win the CL is our stats in defence, that we're hard to beat and we have Messi. The fact that we conceded 2 goals so far.

And, tbh, that's exactly how we kicked out Chelsea. Defended well, got lucky several times, and had a clinical Messi who just was so far better than every other player.

Last edited:

Neeraj

I don't think its unfair to say Valverde is not too unlike Mourinho from a few seasons back, when he was still somewhat relevant and not fully senile yet.

Mourinho in his hay days and Valverde do have similar approaches. Even in substitutions, Mourinho used to make late and often cautious subs like Valverde does now.

As much as I dislike Valverde, cannot compare him to the current Mourinho, because he is a senile clown. Everyone needs to see his rant after the Sevilla loss :lol:

JamDav1982

Really? Everywhere I read, on most major football forum the first idea that gets thrown in as to why we might win the CL is our stats in defence. The fact that we conceded 2 goals so far. The most impressive stuff Valverde's brough so far is the defending.

So you are equating the strong defensive record with Mourinho like football? There is the problem. Doesnt work like that.

Have not seen anyone claim Barca would win it due to playing defensive football at all.

There is a big difference from saying defensively Barca have improved and are more balanced than to claiming Barca will win it playing Mourinho type football, defending and playing on the break.

serghei

So you are equating the strong defensive record with Mourinho like football? There is the problem. Doesnt work like that.

Have not seen anyone claim Barca would win it due to playing defensive football at all.

There is a big difference from saying defensively Barca have improved and are more balanced than to claiming Barca will win it playing Mourinho type football, defending and playing on the break.

We got dominated at home by Chelsea and we only won because we had Messi and Curtois had a horror night.

JamDav1982

We got dominated at home by Chelsea and we only won because we had Messi and Curtois had a horror night.

No Barca were not 'dominated' at all.

Sat back a bit more after going ahead early as Chelseas main threat was pace on the break.

Were some hairy moments as Chelseas formation caused Barca problems but in no way were dominated.

Your assesments of the Atletico game and the Chelsea game are miles off of what actually happened. Seem desperate to force a narrative and only see what want to.

serghei

No Barca were not 'dominated' at all.

Sat back a bit more after going ahead early as Chelseas main threat was pace on the break.

Were some hairy moments as Chelseas formation caused Barca problems but in no way were dominated.

Your assesments of the Atletico game and the Chelsea game are miles off of what actually happened. Seem desperate to force a narrative and only see what want to.

Let's hope Messi will be pumped and play as brilliant as he's done vs Chelsea all the way through, so that you won't find out what i already know. Because some individual brilliant stuff by Messi and some screwing up on Chelsea's part of what were really dangerous actions in our third masked the issues we have.

serghei

You dont seem to know much going on those games.

We'll probably kick out Italy's 3rd best team, and will play vs an elite side in the semifinal, no matter the draw. We'll find out some more stuff from those games, which could put some light into this discussion. We'll get back to it if or when the time comes.

JamDav1982

We'll probably kick out Italy's 3rd best team, and will play vs an elite side in the semifinal, no matter the draw. We'll find out some more stuff from those games, which could put some light into this discussion. We'll get back to it if or when the time comes.

Haha what are you on about now?

Ahh I see you are joining the gang that think Barca have to win the treble or you are proved correct.

In with some notable names in that gang.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yes we were dominated by Chelsea at times, certainly not for the duration of the entire game but there were many moments, especially for around 10-15 minutes in the second half it was all Chelsea. If it wasn't for a combination of our good defending, their poor finishing and bad luck on their part we would have conceded. To me it felt like the first half of the el Clasico game last fall. Whether it was intentional or not on our part, I don't know, but I didn't like it at all, too risky. To me it all speaks to how lackluster how midfield is.

We can't always rely on luck (Chelsea hit the post 4 times), especially when playing better teams.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
We basically put the tie to bed with two goals after thirty minutes. Added a third one after Chelsea had strong minutes to avoid the end of their season in Europe. We were not dominated at all. Chelsea did not have bad performances against us, especially not at Stamford Bridge, but we were the better team and won advanced comfortably.

1st game in London is a game where you could criticize Valverde btw. Did not like his idea to play Paulinho on the wing where he is useless. Dembele was not in rhythm like he is now but should have probably started that game. Anyway I mentioned I do not like everything Valverde does but the things people in here come up with it...

Home of Barca Fans