Ernesto Valverde - V1

Richard.H

We know tactically he is very capable but like [MENTION=1838]Barcilliant[/MENTION] said, motivation is a huge factor to coach any of the world class clubs in the world.

These athletes are all multi millionaires, they need an extra kick up their ass to actually follow the tactics. Asking a bunch of super rich athletes to follow your orders can perhaps be more difficult than being a tactical mastermind.

Moyes is a clueless schmuck. Valverde has some idea of what he's doing.

I think motivating the players is half the job of the coach. I think Lucho was pretty good at that.

Lucho was very good at that. It covered up his tactical shortcomings at the start.

It's part of the reason Pique is a top 3 CB now and not the inconsistent mess he was around 2012-2014. Although Lucho had to bench him for a time to make it happen. I suspect he had a hand in Alves' resurgence as well, the guy looked finished in 2013.

Barcilliant

We know tactically he is very capable but like [MENTION=1838]Barcilliant[/MENTION] said, motivation is a huge factor to coach any of the world class clubs in the world.

These athletes are all multi millionaires, they need an extra kick up their ass to actually follow the tactics. Asking a bunch of super rich athletes to follow your orders can perhaps be more difficult than being a tactical mastermind.

Exactly. And that's another reason why we have to rejuvenate the squad with the right players.

You can theorise and pontificate about tactics all day long but if the players aren't willing to give 100 % its no use.

The best coaches are great motivators... Klopp, Pep, Simeone, Conte. They transfer their passion and energy to the players.

Richard.H

Lucho was very good at that. It covered up his tactical shortcomings at the start.

It's part of the reason Pique is a top 3 CB now and not the inconsistent mess he was around 2012-2014. Although Lucho had to bench him for a time to make it happen. I suspect he had a hand in Alves' resurgence as well, the guy looked finished in 2013.

I do also think Lucho was a huge part of Pique's and Dani Alves's resurgence. Pique especially. He looked like absolute crap in the Tito and Tata years, making some comic defensive blunders. Dani Alves was also terrible, getting blown by amateur wingers and destroying our attacks with horrible crosses.

I hope Valverde doesn't let any of the players walk over him. I think Neymar is the one he needs to keep on a leash. He seems like the type to revolt if needed.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Some will disagree but with all his faults and shitty decision making Lucho managed to get results, that cannot be taken away from him..

His tenure here was a success on paper, winning 9 trophies in three years, but... despite that somehow we all couldn't wait for him to leave! He certainly left us with a bittersweet taste. Why?

Well, among things like his shitty lineups, subs, tactics, crappy signings, and general hard headedness imo he never managed to provide us with set style, a unit system, an identity which we could adhere to. No groundwork, no foundation was left in his three years here. Too pragmatic, unromantic, result based style of play. It worked, but now we are left feeling faceless and empty.

This is where I think Valverde will improve on. Seems the type of manager great at instilling an idea into the team, making his players understand what he wants of them, and how that will affect the way everyone else plays as a whole. A student of Cruyff, one of 37 players he touched and inspired to become a manager, and later praised by the man himself "He not only accomplishes to win, but does it in a way that is pleasing."

Barcelona has always been a romantic club in the way it looks at Football. We have always cared not just about winning, but the way in which we do it and the joy we get out of it is doubles as a result. Compare Lucho's treble to Pep, and you'll understand why. Hopefully we can return to our roots, to playing beautiful football, to finding joy even in games where we struggle because there's something bigger than the scoreline going on. I truly hope that Ernesto is the man for the job. Here's to tomorrow. :cheers:

mssarm

The thing scares me about Velverde is his mellow type of character. We were successful under 2 dictator type of coaches (Pep and Lucho) and unsuccessful under 2 mellow type(Tito and Tata) . It's very possible that he has strong character that is not so obvious, but if he's weak and cannot deal with likes of Pique and Neymar we are doomed for sure. Leadership as important as tactical skills. Anyways we should be patient with him and bury our pitchforks until at least February.:lucho:

raki

RM is going to be losing a bit of that depth this summer. For sure.

Morata, Isco, and James are all candidates to leave. Still hope we can snag Isco on a bosman. That'd be fun to see.

They will add depth. If Morata leaves another guy will come. Theo is better than Coentrao.

And we are buying Seri to battle againt Kroos,Modric,Isco,Kovacic,James,Asensio...Fuck me

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
The only reason we were supposedly unsuccessful (which isn't even true) under Tito is because the man had cancer. FFS.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
That pic is kinda spooky.

Valverde kinda looks like he could play Lucifer in a movie. Has that dark shrewd mysterious look.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
The thing scares me about Velverde is his mellow type of character. We were successful under 2 dictator type of coaches (Pep and Lucho) and unsuccessful under 2 mellow type(Tito and Tata) . It's very possible that he has strong character that is not so obvious, but if he's weak and cannot deal with likes of Pique and Neymar we are doomed for sure. Leadership as important as tactical skills. Anyways we should be patient with him and bury our pitchforks until at least February.:lucho:

Yes he does strike me as the mellow type overall. But these type of people tend to rely on intellect rather than character to convince people to do what they must. In other words, he will be articulate and persuasive with words and if his ideas click and make sense they'll be sure to follow his leadership/advice.

Home of Barca Fans