Ernesto Valverde: An Analysis of his tenure

khaled_a_d

You won't be making these jokes anymore.

OTOH, fans here are too invested to ever regret hating on EV.
Decade from now, no matter how good/or bad we are they will complain about him.
If we turn worse, it will be said it started with him.
If we turn better, it will be: see, I told you so.
People already made up their mind.

BBZ8800

If you're over the Liverpool and Roma defeats already, you're doing this "supporting Barca" thing wrong mate :lol:

I started to watch Barca around 1994 iirc.
So, in my teen years, we lost 4:0 to Milan, 7:0 to a mighty European giants Dinamo Kiev, being KOd 3 times in group stage in 90s.
And when we managed to get through to KO stages, we managed to lose in spectacular wtf ways each season.

In early 2000s, we were even worse.
Then we won a CL in 2006, but Rijkaard managed to lose in 4 out of 5 seasons to British teams (Celtic, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd).

So, as explained before, for someone like me who was a fan in 90s and 00s, EV's tenure was far from a failure.

Anfield isn't any worse than 2:4 against Chelsea in 2005.
Or not to mention Cruijff's defeat to Cska in 1993, Milan 4:0 in 1995.

As said by Khaled and some guys, it is easy to be entitled if you grew up during Pep's days and when in your head, Barca's norm are trebles, sextuples and orgasmic football.

90s and 00s were far from a successful orgasmic football.
We were either shit.
Or attractive and naive.
We never had both.

And in 00s, after 5 years without trophies, no one demanded Joga Bonita.
Real won 3 CLs in the meantime.
We all wanted 1 La liga or a CL, even with the ugliest football in the world.

You'll see the same with our forum.
After several years without titles, people will want wins.
They won't care about beauty anymore.

In those moments, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ernie's style.

But again, if we are analyzing it from a perspective of Pep's era and current high standards, then EV is a disaster.

But again, wait for 2-3 years without trophies and you'll understand us, older guys = EV's defenders.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
So, in my teen years, we lost 4:0 to Milan, 7:0 to a mighty European giants Dinamo Kiev, being KOd 3 times in group stage in 90s.
And when we managed to get through to KO stages, we managed to lose in spectacular wtf ways each season.

Then we won a CL in 2006, but Rijkaard managed to lose in 4 out of 5 seasons to British teams (Celtic, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd).

So, as explained before, for someone like me who was a fan in 90s and 00s, EV's tenure was far from a failure.

As said by Khaled and some guys, it is easy to be entitled if you grew up during Pep's days and when in your head, Barca's norm are trebles, sextuples and orgasmic football.

We were either shit.
Or attractive and naive.
We never had both.

But again, if we are analyzing it from a perspective of Pep's era and current high standards, then EV is a disaster.

But again, wait for 2-3 years without trophies and you'll understand us, older guys = EV's defenders.

It's not just about EV being so good result-wise and Barca being total shit back in the 90s.

Past few years have been the most boring Barca side lately. I watch matches first and foremost in order to be entertained because why else would I spend 2 hours every 3-4 days? I don't expect titles, just nice football. If we play with heart and intensity and finish top 3 in the next 2 years, I'm fine with it. See? EV is the antithesis of that. Absolutely drab uninspiring football, negative and defensive, leaving all the work to Messi. And watch him stay still once he loses the ball and we painfully try to regroup and get back. Nah, that is just shit. All I want from the transition period is desire, workrate and nice football. Titles can wait.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

Getting easily clapped 3:0, 4:0 etc every year is definitely not normal for big clubs. Otherwise it would happen to Real, Bayern, Juve etc every other season as well. So the recent streak of disaster games in CL isn't something we should get used to.

Barca is one of the biggest and richest clubs, doesn't need some kind of special entitlement to expect better results in big games going forward.

ItachiXXX

OTOH, fans here are too invested to ever regret hating on EV.
Decade from now, no matter how good/or bad we are they will complain about him.
If we turn worse, it will be said it started with him.
If we turn better, it will be: see, I told you so.
People already made up their mind.

Haters Gonna Hate, it's just the way it is

It's not just about EV being so good result-wise and Barca being total shit back in the 90s.

Past few years have been the most boring Barca side lately. I watch matches first and foremost in order to be entertained because why else would I spend 2 hours every 3-4 days? I don't expect titles, just nice football. If we play with heart and intensity and finish top 3 in the next 2 years, I'm fine with it. See? EV is the antithesis of that. Absolutely drab uninspiring football, negative and defensive, leaving all the work to Messi. And watch him stay still once he loses the ball and we painfully try to regroup and get back. Nah, that is just shit. All I want from the transition period is desire, workrate and nice football. Titles can wait.

Can you describe what is this nice football you're talking. Barca not losing and scoring more ? Or you will be the dude after two seasons without trophies wants a new manager and will say the same thing you're posting now.

Messigician

We were either shit.
Or attractive and naive.
We never had both.

Big agree

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Haters Gonna Hate, it's just the way it is

Can you describe what is this nice football you're talking. Barca not losing and scoring more ? Or you will be the dude after two seasons without trophies wants a new manager and will say the same thing you're posting now.

I've already described it and I also said I would be okay with us not winning trophies man. High workrate from 11 players on the pitch, intense pressing once we lose the ball, higher tempo, desire to win and compete. All of these are absent at the moment.

Andrew M

I've already described it and I also said I would be okay with us not winning trophies man. High workrate from 11 players on the pitch, intense pressing once we lose the ball, higher tempo, desire to win and compete. All of these are absent at the moment.

This will never be enough for Barca, though. We've always had special players. It's part of our identity

BBZ8800

No offense, but that is not Barca.

Barca historically always wanted to play "smart", relying on attack, technique and IQ and not paying too much attention on defending and physique.

We started to press more under Rijkaard due to Etoo and some hungry players.
And pressing game became our logo under Pep.

So, imo, you are again mixing Barca and 4 years under Pep.

Barca before Pep usually played very attacking, technical and naive.
With horrible defending, physique and mental strength.

Then Pep elevated our TikiTaka to a new level and added a lot of pressing.

So, imo, again when you talk about running, fighting and pressing, you are not talking about Barca who I know.
You are talking about your first romantic teen love: Pep's Barca.

About pressing, please go and watch Cruijff's Barca:Milan 0:4 from 1994, or Van Gaals Barca: Dinamo Kiev 0:7 or matches under Gaspart.

I think we have a revisionism here where suddenly Barca pre-Pep played close to Pep's Barca.

Rijkaards team in 2006 had some nice traits.
In 90% of other eras, we will all about beauty, attacking, wow moments and being a total circus in everything else like tactics, defending, physique, mental strength and RESULTS.

serghei

No offense, but that is not Barca.

Barca historically always wanted to play "smart", relying on attack, technique and IQ and not paying too much attention on defending and physique.

We started to press more under Rijkaard due to Etoo and some hungry players.
And pressing game became our logo under Pep.

So, imo, you are again mixing Barca and 4 years under Pep.

Barca before Pep usually played very attacking, technical and naive.
With horrible defending, physique and mental strength.

Then Pep elevated our TikiTaka to a new level and added a lot of pressing.

So, imo, again when you talk about running, fighting and pressing, you are not talking about Barca who I know.
You are talking about your first romantic teen love: Pep's Barca.

About pressing, please go and watch Cruijff's Barca:Milan 0:4 from 1994, or Van Gaals Barca: Dinamo Kiev 0:7 or matches under Gaspart.

I think we have a revisionism here where suddenly Barca pre-Pep played close to Pep's Barca.

Rijkaards team in 2006 had some nice traits.
In 90% of other eras, we will all about beauty, attacking, wow moments and being a total circus in everything else like tactics, defending, physique, mental strength and RESULTS.

There's different versions of Barca, but again, we come to the same argument. The team played that way with a huge part of the team being La Masia players. It's clear that the way Pep played was already ingrained within the club for a long time. Pep is himself a Barca ideological "product". He learned most of what he knows inside FC Barcelona, following Cruyff's model and bringing his own contributions using that framework. He wouldn't have been able to play like that and have success instantly with homegrown players, unless his vision was a great match with that of the club.

So, there are different versions of Barcelona, true, (just like there are different versions of Ferrari, not all identical, some even very different - but, nonetheless, you still sense you are looking at a Ferrari), and Pep's Barca is one variation of it, its best variation. It's certainly not a way of playing that landed from outer space and clicked right away because we were lucky. It was part of the culture of the club since Cruyff came at Barcelona. And that's almost half a century ago.

So, Pep Barca not being Barca is a crazy thing to say. I think you forgot that the club had Cruyff as a manager for 8 years almost 20 years before Pep came.

Here, how is that not similar with Pep's team? It's basically the same model.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans