Ernesto Valverde: An Analysis of his tenure

KingLeo10

Don't blame them, they're just going for the gold medal in the mental gymnastics olympics this year.

tenor.gif

xXKonan

Valverde did alright in his first season but it was obvious that he wasn't the right person to build a team as time went on.

There's a reason why he liked small squads is that it gave him the idea he can stick with one small group of players and that was it. I didn't buy the idea that he wanted a smaller squad so he can give Youth team players a chance, I just think he didn't want a big squad because to him it would have been way too complicated.

For a Bilbao/EL size team that is not bad really but for a team like ours competing to win the League, CL, Copa we can't afford to have a small squad. When he tried changing it up, he ended up bailing on it quickly and going back to the same old tired legs. He just didn't have the courage to see things through even if we hit some speed bumps.

Not a bad coach but the wrong kind of coach for a prestigous clubs such as Barca.

serghei

Valverde did alright in his first season but it was obvious that he wasn't the right person to build a team as time went on.

There's a reason why he liked small squads is that it gave him the idea he can stick with one small group of players and that was it. I didn't buy the idea that he wanted a smaller squad so he can give Youth team players a chance, I just think he didn't want a big squad because to him it would have been way too complicated.

For a Bilbao/EL size team that is not bad really but for a team like ours competing to win the League, CL, Copa we can't afford to have a small squad. When he tried changing it up, he ended up bailing on it quickly and going back to the same old tired legs. He just didn't have the courage to see things through even if we hit some speed bumps.

Not a bad coach but the wrong kind of coach for a prestigous clubs such as Barca.

I think his story would've been different if he didn't lose the tie on Anfield. That match is probably going to cost him a good job in the future, at a top rated club.

KingLeo10

I think his story would've been different if he didn't lose the tie on Anfield. That match is probably going to cost him a good job in the future, at a top rated club.

The match also put a significant dent in the CVs of our vets. Messi, Pique, and Busquets could have had a treble of trebles, a feat which is unlikely to be repeated in a league like EPL or LL. Anfield mentally finished them. It's why Messi fell from the best season outside his physical prime in 18/19 (and a Ballon D'Or winner) to largely inconsequential in last half of 19/20 and 20/21 so far.

Everyone in Europe knew we were mental midgets after Anfield. It's why Bayern launched an open war against us from the minute we were drawn with them and it's why after Alaba's OG, the whole Bayern team was just laughing because there knew we didn't have it in us to beat them. 18/19 summer was the time to dispatch all veterans IMO in addition to EV.

Anfield also made Klopp's legacy. If he doesn't win that CL, it may have been the end of a cycle for them mentally and they likely don't win 19/20 PL.

Morten

The match also put a significant dent in the CVs of our vets. Messi, Pique, and Busquets could have had a treble of trebles, a feat which is unlikely to be repeated in a league like EPL or LL. Anfield mentally finished them. It's why Messi fell from the best season outside his physical prime in 18/19 (and a Ballon D'Or winner) to largely inconsequential in last half of 19/20 and 20/21 so far.

Everyone in Europe knew we were mental midgets after Anfield. It's why Bayern launched an open war against us from the minute we were drawn with them and it's why after Alaba's OG, the whole Bayern team was just laughing because there knew we didn't have it in us to beat them. 18/19 summer was the time to dispatch all veterans IMO in addition to EV.

Anfield also made Klopp's legacy. If he doesn't win that CL, it may have been the end of a cycle for them mentally and they likely don't win 19/20 PL.

We stopped your other treble-attempt, in 2010/11, sure, it was only a copa, but it was one of the most satisfying wins over Barca ever imo.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
We stopped your other treble-attempt, in 2010/11, sure, it was only a copa, but it was one of the most satisfying wins over Barca ever imo.

Didn't Barca and Real face other like 4 times in less than 2 months ( La Liga , CL twice and Copa final) ?

That Copa final you guys were the better team , could have been a few goals up in the 1st half.

Last edited:

Morten

Didn't Barca and Real face other like 4 times in less than 2 months ( La Liga , CL twice and Copa final) ?

That Copa final you guys were the better team , could have been a few goals in the 1st half.

Both teams have chances, but we had a couple of big ones with Benzema(who hit the post) and Ronaldo, close enough game, but i felt we deserved it, yes.
We hadnt won anything as team for a while, Barca seemed unstoppable at the time, so even though it was just a copa, it felt quite special at the time.

KingLeo10

It was your first W v Barca in like 3 years, wasn't it? Pep had won something like 6 of his first 7 Clasicos.

Definitely a huge win and I remember that CR7 header.

Rory

Not that hard. The thought that Barca players have total control and yet loved Valverde and the board still fired him. Just don?t get how those players having total control is the obvious conclusion from that, which is the conclusion some people come to here.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Obviously you would , since in your mind the forum is infested with people who think that Messi is the cancer of the club.

Birdy

1-You keep quoting a total bs article as a good read and repeat that 5-6 resources, which is again a bs.
Regardless, this wasn't what I asked. I am asking how what Pique said is relevant in any way to the point you are making

2-As I said,pkayers are asked about manager situation all the time in big properly managed clubs.Unless you live under a rock nothing is hilarious in it.
Pirlo was hired because Juve veterans advocated for him is a one example of this.
And the players here didn't force anything, it is a usual consultation and they told board you make the decision

I would like to hear who are the 'properly managed clubs' that ask their players to decide on the manager.
Citing Pirlo as an example supporting your case is hilarious.
Why on earth would you think that this was the right move for Juve? They might end up losing the league for the first time in 10 years.
What players think is conditioned by their limited perspective on who is and who is not a good coach. Making them co-decision makers is granting them power beyond their territory and position.

On the contrary, properly managed clubs, like Liverpool, have their relevant departments and sporting director spend around 3 months of compiling a detailed file on Klopp, with what he does right and what he does not before approaching him, without asking any player about it, and without asking any player whether Rodgers is fine for them or not.

PS: Pique is winning because the board did not listen to the veterans about Valverde, which was their favorite coach, as he was letting them NOT train.
The problem with Messi and Pique and co, is that they think they know what the team needs (which of course involves their declined presence), while in fact they know SHIT.
The sole fact that they suppported Valverde after Anfield says it all.
Don't conflate their limited and self-centered perspective with the fact that the board is incompetent

Home of Barca Fans