Earliest FC Barcelona memory

Windhook

I'm down on memory lane, was joking about 1000+ Barca games I've watched in the match chat. Can't tell in reality might be higher number than that or not. Doesn't matter.

My first FC Barcelona memory is the Intercontinental Cup of 1992. I have no episodes in my mind of this game, aged 6, but my father waking me up at 3 am in the morning to watch Hristo Stoichkov live. My dad was crazy about Stoichkov, not a fan of Barca, though. That goal he scored is masterclass.

The first real Barca experience was a Champions League game in 1994/95 vs Galatasaray, which Barca lost. :lol:

Porque

Good thread.

My earliest core memories of Barca are the Sao Paulo game you mention, and the 94 CL final defeat to Milan.

Loser for life mate.

Birdy

Nice Thread!
First memory is probably this:
Ronaldo's pen in the cup winners cup final 1997. The typical celebration. The characteristic away turqoise kit back then. Sir Bobby Robson at the helm

Then I remember many games the following years, like the two 3-3s against UTD:
and most of the important 1999-2000 CL games, like the 2-4 at Arsenal,
or the two Chelsea games,
and the Valencia defeat unfortunately

It was around those years between 1999 and 2002, when Madrid's ugly and pompous head had already risen, that I became a conscious Barca supporter

serghei

Late 90s and early 00s pisses me off looking back. Just imagine a front-line of Rivaldo - Il Fenomeno - Figo.

The club was truly clueless under Gaspart. You always go the extra mile to keep true stars. It's a given ffs. Back then elite footballers ruled the game. It's true even today even though football is much more tactical nowadays.

Windhook

Nice Thread!
First memory is probably this:
Ronaldo's pen in the cup winners cup final 1997. The typical celebration. The characteristic away turqoise kit back then. Sir Bobby Robson at the helm

Then I remember many games the following years, like the two 3-3s against UTD:
and most of the important 1999-2000 CL games, like the 2-4 at Arsenal,
or the two Chelsea games,
and the Valencia defeat unfortunately

It was around those years between 1999 and 2002, when Madrid's ugly and pompous head had already risen, that I became a conscious Barca supporter
My God prime Ronaldo and Figo...

serghei

Part of the reason I don't blame Figo that much. Figo was not some Madrid fan or Barca hater, he was just an elite, selfish, player that had no real attachment to any club.

Figo would have never ever left Barcelona for Madrid if he happened to reach his prime in mid 00s as opposed to late 90s and early 00s.

Windhook

Part of the reason I don't blame Figo that much. Figo was not some Madrid fan or Barca hater, he was just an elite, selfish, player that had no real attachment to any club.

Figo would have never ever left Barcelona for Madrid if he happened to reach his prime in mid 00s as opposed to late 90s and early 00s.
Figo at Barca was the BdO quality player. Once he went to Real Madrid he became fabric. And nobody appreciated him at Madrid.

serghei

Figo at Barca was the BdO quality player. Once he went to Real Madrid he became fabric. And nobody appreciated him at Madrid.

Yes, but he obviously didn't care that much about being remembered as some Totti or Gerrard type club-legend. He was in it to win big titles for himself, and as it proved at Madrid he won bigger titles.

It's obvious he had a big ego and it was all about himself. But most players are like that.

For Barca to make sense vs Madrid, we need to establish a club level so that moving to Madrid is never considered. Back in early 00s it was more like stay with us out of loyalty, even though moving to Madrid was clearly the superior career move.

From mid 00 to mid 10s, Barcelona has managed to not only be seen as equal to Madrid, but superior both as a team and institutionally, as a club. After losing Pep, and with the arrival of the Rosell - Bartomeu disaster presidency, slowly but steadily, our status eroded, and the situation went back to Madrid being clearly the superior club. Unfortunately.

I would say the situation today is similar to early 00s, only worse.

Last edited:

Windhook

Yes, but he obviously didn't care that much about being remembered as some Totti or Gerrard type club-legend. He was in it to win big titles for himself, and as it proved at Madrid he won bigger titles.

It's obvious he had a big ego and it was all about himself. But most players are like that.

For Barca to make sense vs Madrid, we need to establish a club level so that moving to Madrid is never considered. Back in early 00s it was more like stay with us out of loyalty, even though moving to Madrid was clearly the superior career move.

From mid 00 to mid 10s, Barcelona has managed to not only be seen as equal to Madrid, but superior both as a team and institutionally, as a club. After losing Pep, and with the arrival of the Rosell - Bartomeu disaster presidency, slowly but steadily, our status eroded, and the situation went back to Madrid being clearly the superior club. Unfortunately.

I would say the situation today is similar to early 00s, only worse.
It had to do with Galacticos era, where Figo became second or third fiddle after Zidane. Zidane was the maestro.

Home of Barca Fans