Denis Suarez

Messi983

1. It's hard to show more than minimal glimpses of greatness in such little playing time
2. Denis is far better than the likes of Gomes/Vidal who EV has given far more opportunities

Total minutes played:

Gomes: 1.185
Denis: 1.063
Vidal: 1.031

If you consider that far more opportunities than ok.

Messi983

Considering Denis offers more than Gomes, yes, the minutes are ridiculous.

That's irrelevant. I was replying to [MENTION=22589]Barca83[/MENTION] who said that the likes of Gomes/Vidal were given far more opportunities than Denis which is not true.

Barca83

Banned
That's irrelevant. I was replying to [MENTION=22589]Barca83[/MENTION] who said that the likes of Gomes/Vidal were given far more opportunities than Denis which is not true.

your stats were for all competitions; Denis has only had 4 starts in the league (1 of them the game that our reserves played in vs Celta).

The difference is that Denis played well in his first two starts (Eibar, Las Palmas) but then gets banished from the team for months, while Gomes puts in consistently bad performances but still gets more chances.

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

I like them and have defended both for some time until I've realised I won't change people opinions on them so I've decided to not waste my time on that anymore.

Paulinho is a very useful squad player. I was among the minority here who was ready to give him a chance when he arrived and he's done better than anyone could really expect. But he's not your typical Barça midfielder and obviously can't control the game so people obsessed with controlling the midfield will mostly be disappointed with his contribution to the team. I don't expect those things from him because he's not that type of player. I think he was doing good at start of the season in wide midfielder role in 4-4-2 when he had more freedom to move around (with both Raki and Busi covering for him) but with Cou/Dembele arrivals/coming back from injury and on the other hand us not really having a capable replacement for Busi/Raki it's understandable EV has started to use him more in CM/DM roles which doesn't fit him as well because he's not as disciplined and tactically aware as he should be to play there. He still brings physicality (I don't think Roma debacle would've happened if he'd be brought into the game early in 2nd half for a clearly unfit Iniesta) and goals to our game though, something that our other midfielders don't so I think he can be useful when utilised correctly. Hopefully Arthur (and possibly another player) will be good enough to give rest to Raki/Busi and Paulinho will be used in a role that's more suited to him next season. I think he's done enough to earn (at least) another season here and will stay unless we'll get a very good offer.

I'm probably the only one but I think Gomes actually has shown improvement this season compared to the last one, had some good moments and overall solid games but it's obvious he's not a fit. I don't blame him for anything though because I think he's trying to do his best and when players are doing that and still don't succeed then I try not to be too harsh on them. I still believe he's a good young player and could see him succeed in another good/big team like Juventus or Tottenham so hopefully one of those teams will come with a good offer in summer. I also believe we'll get more than what most people expect because other teams still rate him higher than Barça fans. And I'll root for him wherever he'll go.

1. Dembele was out for half of the season and it was smart not to rush him back and get reinjured. I think EV handled his minutes well. Semedo could have played more but Roberto was just better offensively in first half of the season and with fullbacks having important role in our offense this was probably the main reason EV prefered him. Then when Semedo has improved in that aspect he got injured and was out for a month in March when we'd probably need him the most. Since coming back he has started most of the games. Sorry, but I just don't understand this "Dembele, Semedo treatment" theory and EV apparently not liking young players. He has done a great job developing players like Laporte, Inaki Williams, Yeray and others in Bilbao and I think given enough time he'll do the same here. This season was always meant to be used as adaptation period for Dembele and Semedo and then injuries also ruined their seasons, especially in Dembouz case.

2. Don't think Denis shined many times. He had two good sub appearances against Getafe all the way back in September and this last one vs Deportivo but that's about it. When he has started he was usually disappointing.

I usually set my expectations about players based on their characteristics and don't compare players who are expected to do different things for the team.
Good post . Something sensible amidst all the pessimistic shits in this forum which is nauseating at times . Dembele thread was full of trolls even if he had a average match. Same goes to Rakitic , Suarez and at times even Messi

Sorin

Has been good on the wings. That's the only position where he's a positive, unfortunately for him. We have Cou on one side and Dembele on the other. If he wants to start, he should go to a Europa League team. Maybe we can offload him for Fabian Ruiz from Betis.

Wouldn't mind keeping him as a bench option though.

M

MessiCam

Has been good on the wings. That's the only position where he's a positive, unfortunately for him. We have Cou on one side and Dembele on the other. If he wants to start, he should go to a Europa League team. Maybe we can offload him for Fabian Ruiz from Betis.

Wouldn't mind keeping him as a bench option though.
Him and Coutinho are very similar in this. Neither good enough to play in midfield but when allowed to have a go in forward positions they come alive.

Sorin

Him and Coutinho are very similar in this. Neither good enough to play in midfield but when allowed to have a go in forward positions they come alive.

Yeah, what I like about Denis is that he isn't afraid to take on players 1 on 1. He always puts pressure on the defence with his runs. Forces CB to come in to help the fullback, creating spaces in the middle. His link up play is none too shabby either. That's why he has a good understanding with Messi.

I still think Coutinho could be drilled into a good advanced CM. But we need the right coach for that. Valverde is wank.

Richard.H

He is an excellent player to bring from the bench. However, he is still very young and I doubt he'll accept a bench role

Home of Barca Fans