Defender for next season?

Thierry

After the cl game today, you know who should have priority. Alaba! He is a beast, he remind me of Abidal, his defense skill are amazing and his crosses are just fucking sexy!
Not mention he is just 19 years old...

EDIT: Lahm sucks, he is not the same like 2-3 years ago, yeah had a very good game today but Alaba was a beast!

He's not tall enough.
we need height too you know. for set pieces, we are very poor there.

how tall is he by the way.?

Thierry

how about:
Chris Smalling - Man UTD
David Luiz - Chelsea
Vermalean - Arsenal
Thiago Silva - Milan

they all seem to be the type of defenders that would fit Barca's style

..someone like Vermaelin could do, but tied to contract with Arsenal at moment.

Thierry

Anybody know about a player called Ogbonna heard he was very quick and strong but i don't know anything about him or where he plays.

6059256785_7365ae6b73_z.jpg

Angelo Ogbonna - 24 years of age, born in Cassino, Italy.
Plays for Serie B - FCTurin, Italy
Position: Left Back (also versatile defender: center back)
Previous Links: Man. City & Arsenal

PS: we need at least 2x tall black players next season,
1x - Left back, and
1x - attacking full back

I find black players posses more inherent strength and power on ball-play, something we need against physical sides.

Last edited:

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
6059256785_7365ae6b73_z.jpg

Angelo Ogbonna - 24 years of age, born in Cassino, Italy.
Plays for Serie B - FCTurin, Italy
Position: Left Back (also versatile defender: center back)
Previous Links: Man. City & Arsenal

PS: we need at least 2x tall black players next season,
1x - Left back, and
1x - attacking full back

I find black players posses more inherent strength and power on ball-play, something we need against physical sides.
Exactly he is very quick too.

AvocadoCake

If we get Hummels..... *licks lips*

Hummels + in form Pique = delicious
Can't think of a better replacement for Puyol

As for LB? I like Alaba, we've been linked to Assou-Ekoto but he's more of the same - good technically but can't head the ball....
Bale can deliver a good header and some strength but the price tag is WAY too high

LaMessiah

jordia alba would be my first choice. who knows if abidal will come back and adriano proved he's a defensive liability over and over. alba knows the spanish game, he can run for days and gives a good option going forward and defensively plus he won't cost an arm and a leg like lahm.

definitely think the youngsters like montoya, bartra and muniesa will get their fair share of opportunities as well to show what they can do. pretty excited about bartra, actually. he hasn't gotten much time with the first team but i think he could be a stud. would be nice if montoya could play the lb because he's shown he can play.

botia is an option in the center but i don't see them splashing major cash on someone like thiago silva or even hummels, who would be an awesome signing.

Valdivia

Jan Vertonghen or Mats Hummels. Especially Vertonghen, as he is a more flexible defender. Can also play as a LB or DM, which is pretty good for our team. He is experienced and a team leader. However, its reported that he has an agreement with Arsenal.

tiki-taka

Jan Vertonghen or Mats Hummels. Especially Vertonghen, as he is a more flexible defender. Can also play as a LB or DM, which is pretty good for our team. He is experienced and a team leader. However, its reported that he has an agreement with Arsenal.

No way vertonghen hell no. I prefer hummels instead.

SamperFCB

Would be ridiculous to pay a lot for a defender like Thiago Silva. Yes, he has a lot of qualities, but he is at the start of next season 28 years old. Too old imo to pay a lot for this guy. So I think we can better look for a younger defender; Mats Hummels, only 23 years old and that would be great if we put this young talented guy together with Piqué. Behind them we got some young talented cantera defenders.

So in my opinion Mats Hummels would be the best choice for CB.

+ the fact of his length: 1.91m. The team needs some physical players. With two centrebacks like Piqué and Hummels we won't be as weak at the corners and freekicks.

Last edited:

Reasonus

I don't watch many teams to decide who is good for us. I like Athletic and watch some of their games, Javi Martinez is the best available fit for Barcelona in my opinion. Since he's comfortable playing both as a centerback and a midfielder, it's an even more attractive choice. He's about 5 years younger than Silva and we can get him for probably half the price. He's tall, which is a definite bonus in our short team. Abidal is very unlikely to play again, so we have only Pique who has height and can help in the set pieces.

Many members here call for Hummels. I haven't seen much from him, so I can't say anything. What is his price tag?

Alba for LB is good. He's good at going forward, but he's not that good a defender. Jose Angel is a very creative player and he's been one of the best signings of Roma this season. I find him a better player than Alba. Roma may not let him go though. In fact, he was on our shortlist when Roma grabbed him. Apparently, Cesc was a priority and everything else came after. Didn't turn out so well, did it?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans