Deco

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
[Sport] No more signing of players over 30:

The former Blaugrana player has a very good relationship with Xavi and the internal debate is healthy, but there are lines that Deco would not like to cross. One of them is to avoid signing players over 30 years of age unless it is an operation that cannot be rejected. Last year, three players with that age were signed and the quota is full.

delancey

I wonder if their (Xavi & Deco) wonderful relationship yielded a consensus on the wonderful signing that is Romeu! A Deco signature signing, or a Xavi (Oscar) collaboration? 🤔

Why not keep Nico, or promote a younger player? Look at our two most recent promotions! Ballers! Romeu is, perhaps, our worst signing in recent history (20 years). I fail to recognize the logic behind this signing, other than that it was sanctioned to make Busquets look great. :lol:

Andresito

Staff member
Roberto and Alonso have contracts until 2024 so they're gone next year. Lewy might leave if Saudis make a good offer.

There are rumours that 2024 will be the last year with the restricted transfer amounts for Barca.

Porque

Makes sense. Sport also saying that we are going to have salary cap issues again next season and require sales.

I presume the most likely will be from our 11 Lewandowski to Saudi (hopefully they pay), Raphinha/Ferran and a CB (Christensen/Inigo) since we're well booked there. This not including those already on loan who will likely all be sold, or tried to.

So going to the free agent pool of last summer, the advantage of adding Christensen and Kessie was that they had resale value.

This season Romeu, Gundagon and Inigo don't really offer that. Maaaybe, you could get lucky with Gundagon or Inigo to Saudi League, but (a) we don't negotiate well and would be forcing the sale and (b) our owners/board are not commercially, socially or economically linked to Saudi to push beneficial deals through to front other means or under the table money like others.

So aside from the sporting angle of diminishing returns, we can't financially benefit in these times by adding more talent that we will either have to pay off their contract or shudder, extend their contract to amortize lower.

khaled_a_d

Not like Nico would have made a big impact. Or we had a reasonable younger player to promote. But whatever.

Good points, except that Romeu is just worse tbh.
He is like an Abde if CDM, except he is old, has no resale value, no hope of improving.
Bernal is a guy to promote in a year or two btw, but yeah not for this year.

khaled_a_d

Makes sense. Sport also saying that we are going to have salary cap issues again next season and require sales.

So going to the free agent pool of last summer, the advantage of adding Christensen and Kessie was that they had resale value.

This season Romeu, Gundagon and Inigo don't really offer that. Maaaybe, you could get lucky with Gundagon or Inigo to Saudi League, but (a) we don't negotiate well and would be forcing the sale and (b) our owners/board are not commercially, socially or economically linked to Saudi to push beneficial deals through to front other means or under the table money like others.

Gundogan adds a lot of sporting value though, in theory Inigo does the same. Those adds value for a price we can't offerd if it was a 28 years old player.
I would say that rightfully we don't need more 30+ years old players, but then what about the players who are going to leave?
Roberto, Alonso are leaving so those are 2 names out.
Now, if Lewandowski also leaves, would it be a bad idea to get Morata or Mehdi on a 2 years contract? To add some veteran presence in attack
Would Dimitrievski as a back up GK be a bad business decision?

mc_lovin

Good points, except that Romeu is just worse tbh.
He is like an Abde if CDM, except he is old, has no resale value, no hope of improving.
Bernal is a guy to promote in a year or two btw, but yeah not for this year.
Positionally Romeu is a true DM though, Nico is hardly one. Personally I prefer Roemu, but both aren't good enough. Need to find the next big thing. Moscardo seems Deco's bet, so I hope he can deliver asap if we sign him.

Porque

Gundogan adds a lot of sporting value though, in theory Inigo does the same. Those adds value for a price we can't offerd if it was a 28 years old player.
I would say that rightfully we don't need more 30+ years old players, but then what about the players who are going to leave?
Roberto, Alonso are leaving so those are 2 names out.
Now, if Lewandowski also leaves, would it be a bad idea to get Morata or Mehdi on a 2 years contract? To add some veteran presence in attack
Would Dimitrievski as a back up GK be a bad business decision?

Good points. I do think that we afforded too much cap space to the both of them though. Doesn't make sense that we increase Inigo wage by 1m while he is our 4th CB (or second line rotation).

May become an issue offloading if we have to reduce salary cap next season which signs are pointing to.

Again a fair point on Morata if Lewy goes. And regarding Dimitrievski, I do not think goalkeepers are held to the same ageism or that Deco considered that in the general ruling.

JamDav1982

Whether Romeu is positionally a DM or not is not really that strong a point when FDJ, Gundo and likes of Pedri would all be better there than him and its not their first position.

Xavi will still be wanting Zubimendi.

Chances are they will try for cheap option in January - Guido/Ndidi etc with expiring contracts or a loan with someone ouf of favour but those clubs wont be easy to deal with.

They will find something.. Guido for a change in the Abde % maybe.

Home of Barca Fans