Davide Santon

Hatem Ben Arfa

Linked with a move to Roma in swap deal with Bojan going to Newcastle.

I hope it's not true because he's shown all the signs of having a fantastic career ahead. He's been excellent for Newcastle and we won't be able to find another defender that as technically gifted, calm on the ball under pressure and solid defensively as he is.

He still only 21 years old. It would be joke to swap him for Bojan. I rate Santon in the 24 million pound bracket too, maybe even more.

Hope the story is baloney.

XaviMessiGirl

It's probably a crap story, it originated from garbage.com from the looks of it... until it's reported in reputable English or Italian papers I wouldn't give it any credibility.

barcaboy15

Linked with a move to Roma in swap deal with Bojan going to Newcastle.

I hope it's not true because he's shown all the signs of having a fantastic career ahead. He's been excellent for Newcastle and we won't be able to find another defender that as technically gifted, calm on the ball under pressure and solid defensively as he is.

He still only 21 years old. It would be joke to swap him for Bojan. I rate Santon in the 24 million pound bracket too, maybe even more.

Hope the story is baloney.

So he's about 2/3rds as good as Carrol?

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
You forgot that Roma cannot swap Bojan without the permission of Barca and with no Borini now, Roma won't sell another striker.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Newcastle United player says he's happy to stay and has found a local girl he loves

Rumours this summer have increased around Newcastle United's Davide Santon and a possible return to Serie A. Today he's spoken exclusively to Calciomercato in Italy and put the record straight.

Santon started off by saying he was physically at his best and is enjoying pre-season with Newcastle United. He admits that initially the language barrier caused problems and that he wasn't totally sure what manager Alan Pardew wanted him to do for the team, but he's put all of that behind him and feels fully integrated into the area and the squad.

Santon praises the Geordie support and says that even when things are going badly for the team or an individual player, the crowd will still back them - he says that this is a big difference from Italy. It's not just on the pitch that he feels supported, it's within the club too.

"I get along with all [the squad] sincerely. If I speak Italian I do so with Captain Coloccini.

We are really united and together. There are no problems between us. And I think you see that in the field."

He says that youngsters like him and Balotelli felt forced to leave Serie A because clubs won't give chances to youngsters and he only really misses one thing from Italy - the food!

"The only thing I miss is the food of Italy. For the rest I do not miss anything.

"Then I found love here: I am engaged to an English girl who loves me and is not looking for fame." :wub:

Santon was recently the subject of a bid from Roma but Newcastle United refused to enter into discussions on his sale "Yes, it is true. Giallorossi [Roma] have spoken with the leaders of Newcastle but the British have explained how I am not for sale. And I'm glad they did it."

Newcastle United have a very content and happy Italian on their hands which will hopefully help him fulfill his potential.

Meitux

yeah i assume that you are sure for him saying a girl not loving him for money or fame this is a little bit rare in our days but whatever

Hatem Ben Arfa

Newcastle United player has to apologise after fans accuse him of 'spitting on the plate from which he ate'

Davide Santon seems to have got himself in a bit of a pickle with football fans in Italy who have reacted furiously to an interview he did yesterday with Calciomercato. We covered the interview and picked the most interesting bits for Newcastle United supporters but fans of teams in Italy have been angered by his comments.

Firstly Napoli and Roma fans are annoyed he said that he doesn't want to join them. All of Italy seems perturbed that he said he doesn't really miss the country and had to move to get a chance of football.

However, the most angry are Inter Milan fans who labelled his interview 'Santon's poison' and accused him of 'spitting on the plate from which he ate', all of which is quite over the top. Santon said that he was happy to leave Inter Milan and couldn't see himself ever playing for them again.

He said he was a boyhood AC MIlan supporter so if he returned then to play for the team would be a dream come true for him, this didn't go down well at all.

Poor Davide has had to write a grovelling open letter which Calciomercato have published online, it's bizarrely quite big news in Italy and shows how much power fans there have when they throw their toys out of the pram.

"When I said that "a child I was a fan of AC Milan and that would be great to play there" I meant just like to say how every guy who wants to play football and has a passion for this sport to wear the team colors to which he is sympathetic (supports).

"But this is certainly not an attack or a stab at Inter. And indeed it is precisely because of the respect I have for Inter that I added that, if in the distant future (because now I want to stay at Newcastle) the opportunity arose to go to Milan I should think about this possibility.

"Just because I have experienced wonderful years at Inter, with fantastic players and fans are wonderful."

So he's now had to say that he may not join his boyhood club one day because he doesn't want to upset the obviously extremely touchy Inter Milan fans.

And we wonder why footballers are so scared of being open with the press.

Home of Barca Fans