Daniel Alves

Jombi

There is a huge question mark over his hypothetical performance over the next few years once he lands a fat new contract though...I'm sure thats what the bosses are afraid of too.

Stric

If he leaves it will be horrible for himself and the team. If all Dani cares about is money then so be it. I still feel barca should give him what he wants but whatever. Footballing wise Alves will perform worse for everyone except maybe Bayern. He will get killed at ManU. he needs to be on a team that has the majority of possession.

I agree with this. Many people will say that if Alves leaves, we'll only know what we missed out on when we see him play for another club, but I think that he would simply get exposed in most other teams. As would some of our other players. He has grown into Barca's style and his skillset is tailored for what we do here. Playing like that somewhere else would only emphasize his weaknesses.

e28makaveli

Normality happens. This level is insanely high. Of course it will drop at some point. But when he does drop, it's still good enough for a top 5 RB in the world. Alves in his worst year was a top 5 RB in the world. That's what some don't get.

Yup. Let's make the decision now and move on. Pay the guy then keep him fit and motivated.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
If he leaves it will be horrible for himself and the team. If all Dani cares about is money then so be it. I still feel barca should give him what he wants but whatever. Footballing wise Alves will perform worse for everyone except maybe Bayern. He will get killed at ManU. he needs to be on a team that has the majority of possession.

I agree. I tried to watch United a couple of times this season, it was unbearable! They couldn't string a couple of passes together most of the time, EPL kick and run back and forth. Alves plays like a RM/RW with playmaking skills better than almost any EPL player, better technique/vision/dribbling/passing than almost any EPL player. What will he do exactly? Only Rooney knows what's going on in that team, only with him he could build some understanding - the rest will just lose the ball at slightest pressure, forcing Alves back to defend.

sailor

I wonder if Alves realizes that he's like a fish in a fish bowl, if he jumps outside he'll get suffocated !

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, never really thought about it that much but as few other posters also noted; Dani would lose a lot too if he left Barca. It's been a great symbiosis for both.

I agree. I tried to watch United a couple of times this season, it was unbearable! They couldn't string a couple of passes together most of the time, EPL kick and run back and forth. Alves plays like a RM/RW with playmaking skills better than almost any EPL player, better technique/vision/dribbling/passing than almost any EPL player. What will he do exactly? Only Rooney knows what's going on in that team, only with him he could build some understanding - the rest will just lose the ball at slightest pressure, forcing Alves back to defend.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. If anything, they had a Tito-esque obsession with ball retention for the sake of it. Just passing all over the midfield, seemingly without any intent of scoring.

To stay on topic, I hope Alves retires at Barca even if it meant overpaying him. His dynamic nature, aside from Messi's maturation and Pep, kickstarted a new golden era for FCB. He just gave the club another gear when he came in. Possibly the best ever prime for a full back?

serghei

Yeah, never really thought about it that much but as few other posters also noted; Dani would lose a lot too if he left Barca. It's been a great symbiosis for both.

That's true. It's why he wants to continue with Barca. Maybe some sort of compromise on both ends will be reached and we could attack next season with a full squad.

serghei

He has no precontract with anyone. When did he sign it, yesterday? He and the board will have one last talk after the CL final most likely.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What is the club doing? Even though we need a CM to replace Xavi, all the transfer rumors with the likes of Pogba and Gundogan have been centered around that position, there is absolutely no rumor (as far as I know) that links us to any decent RB out there. Danilo was already signed by Real Madrid and it appears that Darmian is going to Bayern, what are we doing??

Alves needs to be replaced.

Darko

You said it yourself, there is no "rumor". So the club is either doing a good job of keeping things quiet or Dani is going to renew.

Home of Barca Fans