Daniel Alves

e28makaveli

His only real competition is Marcelo tbh. Both have been brilliant in attack this year but I'd say Alves gets the nod defensively in these past months.

I would rate Alves over Marcelo any day. Alves is a quick thinker, plays well with both feel and offers a lot more in terms weaponry. Alves can be considered a Barca legend but I doubt Marcelo can be labelled such for RM.

e28makaveli

It will be very sad to not see him next season. Dani, come on.

He will be here next season, I am sure. There is just too much going on with Barca for him to leave. Also, I am hoping Messi is helping him through this tough times. If so, he will be here next season. Just too good a player for us to let him go.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I would rate Alves over Marcelo any day. Alves is a quick thinker, plays well with both feel and offers a lot more in terms weaponry. Alves can be considered a Barca legend but I doubt Marcelo can be labelled such for RM.

I was referring to this season specifically, where the difference in quality is minimal. Alves is better at linking up than Marcelo but the latter is still exceptional in this regard, it's just that Alves is probably the best fullback in history at linking up due to the Alvessi connection. Marcelo is probably the better dribbler and goalscorer though. This season, both are inseparable in terms of creating chances/assisting (historically, Alves' assist record speaks for itself though). Alves is definitely more athletic/quick than Marcelo.

It's hard to separate the two this year. Alves' level skyrocketed in the 2nd half of the season but Marcelo was already up there and has been doing extremely well on a consistent basis (see his Clasico performance for reference among many others). The point I was making is that there haven't been any fullbacks in Europe that are even near these two, they are head and shoulders above the rest.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He will be here next season, I am sure. There is just too much going on with Barca for him to leave. Also, I am hoping Messi is helping him through this tough times. If so, he will be here next season. Just too good a player for us to let him go.

I think all is lost after that press conference, he is a goner. There is no way for either (1) him to back peddle and accept our existing offer because that is essentially slapping his own face or (2) the club ups our offer after he slammed the board.

:(

Jombi

I was referring to this season specifically, where the difference in quality is minimal. Alves is better at linking up than Marcelo but the latter is still exceptional in this regard, it's just that Alves is probably the best fullback in history at linking up due to the Alvessi connection. Marcelo is probably the better dribbler and goalscorer though. This season, both are inseparable in terms of creating chances/assisting (historically, Alves' assist record speaks for itself though). Alves is definitely more athletic/quick than Marcelo.

It's hard to separate the two this year. Alves' level skyrocketed in the 2nd half of the season but Marcelo was already up there and has been doing extremely well on a consistent basis (see his Clasico performance for reference among many others). The point I was making is that there haven't been any fullbacks in Europe that are even near these two, they are head and shoulders above the rest.

When you say Europe, are you referring to La Liga and EPL only?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
When you say Europe, are you referring to La Liga and EPL only?

I'm referring to Europe, as I said pretty clearly. The only other fullbacks that are up there in quality are Lahm and Alaba, both of whom have not played as fullbacks often this season and the latter had injury issues.

Jombi

I'm referring to Europe, as I said pretty clearly. The only other fullbacks that are up there in quality are Lahm and Alaba, both of whom have not played as fullbacks often this season and the latter had injury issues.

Have Marcelo and Alves really been in a league of their own as the best full-backs in Europe this season? There are plenty of full backs that have had superb seasons, like Jose Gaya, Ricardo Rodriguez, Jordan Amavi, Fabinho and Layvin Kurzawa.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Have Marcelo and Alves really been in a league of their own as the best full-backs in Europe this season? There are plenty of full backs that have had superb seasons, like Jose Gaya, Ricardo Rodriguez, Jordan Amavi, Fabinho and Layvin Kurzawa.

Non of them were as good as Alves in second half of the season at least tbh

Kohe321

I really hope he stays. He might be 32, but he hasn't slowed down at all, and he can still run up and down the right side without showing signs of being tired even at this point in the season. He was one of our most energetic players at the end of the game yesterday. Notice how we never worry about him needing rest to avoid injuries, he's just always there - doing his job and running his legs off game after game...

Said it before in here, but all 32 year olds are not made equal, so I wouldn't use that as an argument against keeping him. I think Alves can have several good years left in him if he can keep his mind in the game and stay motivated like he is now. This could be a worry after potentially winning the treble, yet it's also entirely possible that he keeps this level of dedication up going into the next season and the one after that as well...

[MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION] is entirely right in saying that there are simply no other RBs out there who can match Alves when he's in form and playing at this level. He's basically our perfect player for the position when he plays like this, and that's worth quite a lot seeing how important fullbacks are to our game.

Last edited:

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
So one of the clubs that made bigger offer than Barca is rumored to be Galatasaray, I think the other two are clubs from Qatar and Russia. I don't see him choosing those clubs over Barca tbh, he'll take the deal.

Ekul

James Milner just turned down a 4 year contract worth £34m.

James.

Milner.

Give Alves whatever he wants, I don't care, we just can't afford to lose him.

Jombi

Just scroll back a few pages in this thread and people were castigating Alves like there was no tomorrow. Now, suddenly everyone wants to give him whatever he wants. What happens if he has a couple of poor games again?

serghei

Just scroll back a few pages in this thread and people were castigating Alves like there was no tomorrow. Now, suddenly everyone wants to give him whatever he wants. What happens if he has a couple of poor games again?

Normality happens. This level is insanely high. Of course it will drop at some point. But when he does drop, it's still good enough for a top 5 RB in the world. Alves in his worst year was a top 5 RB in the world. That's what some don't get.

Home of Barca Fans