Daniel Alves

I do believe you since you thought Alves was the best in the world in the years i mentioned that he wasn't. But then were you surprised that he didn't come through at all in this manner say in 12-13 or 13-14 ?

I swear this guy ages backwards. I remember when he looked finished under Tito and Tata. There was a period in which freaking Montoya looked better than him :lol:

Still think him sticking around could have caused more harm than good long term. We'd probably have played him as our starting right back until he got to like 40 and we still wouldn't have a replacement.

Last edited:

PhilS

There is no way he would have been as good for Barca as he has been for Juve this year. Good point, Serghei, the solid Juve defense has freed up Alves to do what he does best.

Aging players can do better in Serie A than in the other big leagues. Dani and his ex-wife agent were very smart to make this move.

Go Dani, go Juve, the forces of good must triumph over RM. I just could not handle both Donald Trump and the double for RM in the same season.

abiabi

Yet another amazing goal.

You are absolutely stupid if you think Dani Alves on our team wouldn't make at least a 3 point difference in our favor.

In a sense, our board gave Madrid the title by gambling on so many crucial positions.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, he made the right choice for himself at least. I remember many doubted it and even Juve fans writing him off just few months ago.

ejuventus

a question about him for all of you

in his catalan years, did he play as effective RB in a 433 formation ....or was it rather a 343, with him staying advanced, and the DM (Mascherano or Busquet) coming behind to form a 3-men defence ??

khaled_a_d

in his catalan years, did he play as effective RB in a 433 formation ....or was it rather a 343, with him staying advanced, and the DM (Mascherano or Busquet) coming behind to form a 3-men defence ??

He was always a RB,we rarely played 3-4-3 during his days. But he played also in 3-4-3 during Pep last year at every possible position on the right side (RCB,RWB & RW) IIRC.
He stayed here 8 full seasons,in his prime years the guy was a monster of RB and would run the pitch like craze and wasn't specifically covered by DM but in his later years you can say the midfield had to cover him specially under Lucho.

RevoTeller

let's not joke

not comparison between Maicon and the best RB in football history.....and between the best players in absolute, actually

Yeah sure, now he is the best RB in football history.
Ah, the coherence....

Too bad that I very well know what people in Italy used to say about Alves basically not even 2 and a half months ago: "old POS, he went in Italy to retire, he is not even capable to defend properly, what did you expect from someone coming from a joke legue like La Liga?, Lichtsteiner is better", etc. etc.
And the sad part is that these very senteces used to come from the majority of Juve fans as well.

Now on the other hand he is the best in history. :lol:

Not talking about you specifically since I don't know who you are, but I can confirm that in Italy there's this laughable attitude about not understanding the real value of a player until he plays for your own team, you are almost all so much short sighted and limited to your football border it's ridicolous, that not even St. Thomas could compete.

Also, there's the as well as laughable tendency to say that a player who plays for a rival team is always shit at priori, no matter if it's not true, like for Maicon in this case.
Maicon was a beast, in their prime him, Alves and Lahm were the best RB in the world and they just happen to have different qualities which perfectly suited their own teams: Maicon more powerful and stronger (which worked best for the dominant Inter side between 2006-2011), Alves more skillful and technical (which worked best for the legendary Barça).

You can of course make a case for Dani being the better player between the two, but there's no such thing as a "joke" when talking about prime Maicon.

I hope Alves will play a great CL final, so that I can laugh reading the very "competent" italian forums and sites praise and adore him like they discovered him just yesterday. :lol:

Last edited:

Messi983

He always played as RB in 433. That means he always had a lot of defensive responsibilities and while he was always better in attack (especially because of his chemistry with Messi) he was also very good defensively, especially in Pep era when we had a good working system. He struggled defensively in his last 2-3 seasons and I think that was partly due to coaching/system changes and overall decline of our once superior midfield with Xavi and Iniesta ageing but even Alves himself often looked unmotivated against smaller teams and that has shown especially in his defensive work. But I can understand that it was hard to get motivated against Getafe's and Osasuna's after all they've won and Alves wasn't only player having those problems. In bigger games when he was 100% focused and motivated he still played great most of the times though.

Only time I can remember him as more of a wingback than fullback was in Pep's last season when we play 3-4-3 with Puyol, Pique and Abidal staying back or sometimes Busquets has dropped between Pique and Puyol with Abidal also going forward more. But that wasn't "Juve's 3-4-3" with 2 attacking fullbacks (I love Abidal and while he was solid going forward when needed he was always more of a defensive LB and later CB), it was more because of Pep's wish to get Cesc on the field alongside Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta, so don Andres played sometimes as LM/LW or even Cesc played as false 9 with Messi and Alexis/Pedro on the wings.

ejuventus

He always played as RB in 433. That means he always had a lot of defensive responsibilities and while he was always better in attack (especially because of his chemistry with Messi) he was also very good defensively, especially in Pep era when we had a good working system. He struggled defensively in his last 2-3 seasons and I think that was partly due to coaching/system changes and overall decline of our once superior midfield with Xavi and Iniesta ageing but even Alves himself often looked unmotivated against smaller teams and that has shown especially in his defensive work. But I can understand that it was hard to get motivated against Getafe's and Osasuna's after all they've won and Alves wasn't only player having those problems. In bigger games when he was 100% focused and motivated he still played great most of the times though.

Only time I can remember him as more of a wingback than fullback was in Pep's last season when we play 3-4-3 with Puyol, Pique and Abidal staying back or sometimes Busquets has dropped between Pique and Puyol with Abidal also going forward more. But that wasn't "Juve's 3-4-3" with 2 attacking fullbacks (I love Abidal and while he was solid going forward when needed he was always more of a defensive LB and later CB), it was more because of Pep's wish to get Cesc on the field alongside Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta, so don Andres played sometimes as LM/LW or even Cesc played as false 9 with Messi and Alexis/Pedro on the wings.

ok thanks for this reconstruction

I just notice that Barça have recently won more Ligas than CLs, so your players must have not been so demotivated against Osasuna, Getafe or similar

ejuventus

Yeah sure, now he is the best RB in football history.
Ah, the coherence....

Too bad that I very well know what people in Italy used to say about Alves basically not even 2 and a half months ago: "old POS, he went in Italy to retire, he is not even capable to defend properly, what did you expect from someone coming from a joke legue like La Liga?, Lichtsteiner is better", etc. etc.
And the sad part is that these very senteces used to come from the majority of Juve fans as well.

Now on the other hand he is the best in history. :lol:

Not talking about you specifically since I don't know who you are, but I can confirm that in Italy there's this laughable attitude about not understanding the real value of a player until he plays for your own team, you are almost all so much short sighted and limited to your football border it's ridicolous, that not even St. Thomas could compete.

Also, there's the as well as laughable tendency to say that a player who plays for a rival team is always shit at priori, no matter if it's not true, like for Maicon in this case.
Maicon was a beast, in their prime him, Alves and Lahm were the best RB in the world and they just happen to have different qualities which perfectly suited their own teams: Maicon more powerful and stronger (which worked best for the dominant Inter side between 2006-2011), Alves more skillful and technical (which worked best for the legendary Barça).

You can of course make a case for Dani being the better player between the two, but there's no such thing as a "joke" when talking about prime Maicon.

I hope Alves will play a great CL final, so that I can laugh reading the very "competent" italian forums and sites praise and adore him like they discovered him just yesterday. :lol:

Have you ever learnt that, when you accuse someone for something, you have to do it for something that THEY DID.....and NOT for something they have not done ??

In the specific case, I've been saying that D. Alves is the best RB of all time since he was at Barça.
I was so happy when Juve signed him, and I defended him from critics in all his first months at Juve
Never never never passed in my mind the idea that Lichsteiner could have been a better player than.

About all the rest of your discours, I mean the italian attitude to underrate other teams' players and to overrate own team's ones, I perfectly agree, despite my name's Thomas.
I often argue with Juve supporters about their overrating on players......... during recent years: Marchisio, Vidal, Pogba above all, and now Dybala which is not always the player you saw in first 20 minutes vs Barça

so, you've been wrong and right in the same post

Home of Barca Fans