Daniel Alves

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I agree... However it wasn't his fault, it was Piqué who got out of position so he had to mark Al Shaarawy... It was a defensive blunder as a whole, hard to pin point it on anyone, however this kind of plays should be practiced because it's getting ridiculous...

Stric

Been saying it for 4 months now. It's a blueprint goal. Cross to the far post and you know Dani won't be there.
It's hard to understand how it can happen over and over again.

It happens when you constantly put a lazy, self-indulgent player on the pitch, and leave the ones you need back home.

Stric

I agree... However it wasn't his fault, it was Piqué who got out of position so he had to mark Al Shaarawy... It was a defensive blunder as a whole, hard to pin point it on anyone, however this kind of plays should be practiced because it's getting ridiculous...

El Sharawy couldn't shoot because he was marked. That's why he passed left, where Dani was nowhere to be seen.

DennyCrane

Been saying it for 4 months now. It's a blueprint goal. Cross to the far post and you know Dani won't be there.
It's hard to understand how it can happen over and over again.

Because his positioning in these situations is flawed. He joins the crowd in the center instead of staying on his side, hence our right flank is exposed each and every time. How our coaches not see this is an enigma to me too. But maybe he just doesn't have the mind of a defender, as for example Montoya has, and this is more an individual than a conceptional mistake.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
And what great marking it was, when the attacker managed to get a comfortable shot at goal. :lol:

Oh, I didn't mean to say he did a good job at marking, but he was indeed taking care of Al Sharawy, if he had been watching Muntari then Stephan would have been able to shoot... Look how every single player in our defense line was out of position in that goal...

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Because his positioning in these situations is flawed. He joins the crowd in the center instead of staying on his side, hence our right flank is exposed each and every time. How our coaches not see this is an enigma to me too. But maybe he just doesn't have the mind of a defender, as for example Montoya has, and this is more an individual than a conceptional mistake.

Yeah, that's the thing. We don't know if it's a tactical mistake or simply Dani's lack of positional awareness.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
One of the few players who actually did something useful. Still conceded the freekick they scored from, but he did what he was supposed to do for the second since Piqué wasn't close enough to SES

Stric

Oh, I didn't mean to say he did a good job at marking, but he was indeed taking care of Al Sharawy, if he had been watching Muntari then Stephan would have been able to shoot... Look how every single player in our defense line was out of position in that goal...

That may be true, but to put it plain and simple, Dani has no business being in the middle if there's a winger coming in from his flank. Pique and Puyol are there to take care (or not take care) of the middle.

Cule4life

The Culest
When a player keeps making the same blunders again and again while a much better option in Montoya is rotting on the bench one cannot help but question the logic of the mngt. Dani looks like he has become complacent and its our mngt fault. When you know that however bad you play do you wont be benched the player wont have any motivation or fear to improve himself. He would have been kicked out of the team long ago if Sir Alex had been our manager.

Last edited:

barcanuck

Seriously Dani has 10% blame on that second goal. Watch it in slow motion and you see Puyol bail (40% his fault), then Pique comes to cover along with Alba who was way to slow to track back (25% of the blame), then watch Busquets and Xavi jogging back is painful beause Dani went to cover for Pique and Alba who couldn't handle one guys chip pass.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Seriously Dani has 10% blame on that second goal. Watch it in slow motion and you see Puyol bail (40% his fault), then Pique comes to cover along with Alba who was way to slow to track back (25% of the blame), then watch Busquets and Xavi jogging back is painful beause Dani went to cover for Pique and Alba who couldn't handle one guys chip pass.

I don't know if the percentages are correct, but the description of the play is spot on... It was a collective blunder that can't be pinned down only on Alves...

Birdy

It's Dani's positional (un)awareness.. Over and over again...
I really think there are some (maybe many) games that he needs to just stay at the bench.. Montoya would be far better tonight..

But also regarding offense:
There is also something that i noticed lately.. As years go by, he becomes less and less dangerous near the opposition box. He rarely tries to shoot, penetrate or make accute crosses. (Of course there are times he does, see spartak goal.. But these times become less and less..)
If you put a video of dany 08-09 and dany 12-13 i think the difference is more than noticeable..

Home of Barca Fans