Cruyff's 3-4-3

Linux-Freak

But a 3-4-3 with alves at the back 3 can turn suicidical..
when alves is out of position in our current system, he is absent from the back, but players from the left flank cover and everyone shifts right..

True, I absolutely agree, but the talk about using 3-4-3 was about getting more offensive players so this seems to be the only way to do it.

mejji^

dont think its gonna happen

but i see indeed iniesta playing LA and cesc playing on iniestas position a lot of time

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Cruyff's 343 (aka 3133) is back, motherfuckers!

excellent to see it in action today.

I suspect that formation will have the same fate Cruyff's 3-4-3 did against any tactically sound defensive powerhouse in Europe. Good thing neither Manchester team is quite Capello's Milan.

I'm not sure if the comparison is fair on Cruyff either, since Johan used actual defenders.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I suspect that formation will have the same fate Cruyff's 3-4-3 did against any tactically sound defensive powerhouse in Europe. Good thing neither Manchester team is quite Capello's Milan.

for fucks sake, man, can't you be optimistic about anything?!

Capello's Milan destroyed us because we were complacent, and because Cruyff alienated the forward playmaker (Laudrup) and didn't pick him.

this team aren't complacent. and they're more talented than Cruyff's team. now, we may not deploy it against many teams, or away from home, but it's definitely an option that we now possess. a very sexy option.

I'm not sure if the comparison is fair on Cruyff either, since Johan used actual defenders.

and you think Pep wouldn't if Piqué was fit? put him in at CB and move Busi up to DM. no problemo.

impeh

Hi, its me..
Was great to see it used, we played really well.

Not sure if it would work quite the same with alves though, maybe if everyone was fit, and busquets was the DM.. so he could drop back/cover and basically be the third defender himself, whilst alves bombs forward.
Will be interesting to see if we continue to play it when others are fit, id love to see it against milan in our first CL match.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Well as today showed this formation (I'm not quite sure it's a 3-4-3) can unleash hell on weak opposition because quite frankly, there hasn't been this much attacking talent in one place since 1970 Brazil. I really didn't see much balance (a weakness that destroyed 1994 Barcelona after some swashbuckling insanity that year), I just see a group of ridiculously talented players who almost all have played together long enough to have chemistry.

I'm pessimistic sure, I'm just not sure if I see Pep's psychotic all-midfield show as anything but a novelty. A novelty that will probably Harlem-globetrotter it's way through La Liga and give us all stories, but I don't think it's the same thing as Cruyff's legitimate 3-4-3.

But hey, it's going to be some ride.

W

Worms

Real Madrid have the players to exploit it,but Pep wouldn't use it against them because he like to keep the full backs back now against Jose.

Also maybe he could play Alves and Busquets could drop back into defence making it 3 at the back(He has done this before when we have possesion,he sometimes sits between 2 CB'S).Alves doesn't play like a defender anyway.

-----Puyol-Busquets-Pique
-------------Xavi
Alves---Fabregas-- Iniesta
-------------Messi
----AS/pedro-----------Villa

3 -4 -3 that could work.

Alves would have even less defensive duty than usual.Iniesta,Xavi and Fabregas can all interchange throughout the match so it would be almost impossible to mark them with Messi as well.

Pedro could replace Villa if we needed more width on the left side etc.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I'm pessimistic sure, I'm just not sure if I see Pep's psychotic all-midfield show as anything but a novelty. A novelty that will probably Harlem-globetrotter it's way through La Liga and give us all stories, but I don't think it's the same thing as Cruyff's legitimate 3-4-3.

But hey, it's going to be some ride.

it's almost exactly the same thing as Cruyff's 343. only Messi being a False9 rather than being a True9 is different.

sure, he had Busquets out of position, but that was necessary given injuries. Alexis and Pedro held the width as they should have done as the wingers. and in midfield we had a ball-winner at the base of a diamond. the other three were in creative roles as they should have been.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Well some of the big differences is are Cruyff actually had a surplus of sweepers (Nadal and Koeman :wub:) instead of DMs playing out of position, and I think the amount of grit that Cruyff used in his central midfield is underrated.

In both cases there were midfield-happy teams, but the Dream Team's basque core played a more simple game than one with at least 4 playmakers on the field at the same time.

What I saw today was some sort of over the top extreme version of total football.

DucdeOrléans

Could easily work at home against lesser opponents. Your proposed line-up is basically more or less the same as we normally use, the only difference being Cesc's presence in the midfield at the expense of a left back.

But as Meta correctly states, having another tactical option cannot be that bad, can it?

It worked really well against Villarreal and even by our standards we improved in terms of dominance in the midfield area. Imagine how a similar formation would look like against a lesser opponent than Villarreal and after a period of habituation.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Koeman was slow as a brick and had the turning circle of a Battleship. a DM is just as good as him.

Nadal is a different matter. Piqué would have to totally beast it.

Home of Barca Fans