Cristiano Ronaldo - v1

mazp

WC definitely means alot for Bdor, and Cristiano was criminally bad there, but he is scoring machine in Real and he is definitely front runner. Messi should turn it up in coming weeks. Say...put 3-4 behind Eibar, be great at Classico and then just wreck every team 2-3 goals that would turn the tie in his favor.

Ronaldo is the darling of the football world and media right now. Messi was up until 2012. It changed/shifted when Pep left and the Bayern debacle.

Icarium

Lifestealer
He will never break messi 91 goals record though.. No matter what he does he will never break it.

Btw a remainder: Ballon D'or is just 100 days away.....

Last edited:

blaugrana1987

The day I understood that Messi was the best player ever, I stopped caring about Ballon D'or and all this bullshit awards.
Cristiano will never reach Leo's level even is he scores 10 goals every week.
Eh he will be...Tides have turned even now. If you said a year ago that Ronaldo was even close to Messi people would laugh it off. Now its "Ronaldo and Messi are goats..." "We are happy we are living in time of CR and Leo" bla bla...Honestly, he is fueled by Messi complex and amount of people who underestimate him. He wants to prove himself and he wants to be the greatest, he said so much him self. Its just the truth. Look how happy he was for 3rd handball goal in 5-0 rout, like he won jackpot. Thats how much it means to him.

xavisionary

He's elite, mentally, physically, technically, in that order. Respect Cristiano. And I almost spat my drink out when he put it on a plate for Benz.

footyfan

Calma, calma

He is clearly going to win the Ballon D'Or. And rightfully so. Messi is not at his level this year either statistically or media wise or trophy wise. He came fifth in the European player of the year trophy and that was right after the World Cup. Sure his voting percentage will increase due to non-European votes but so will Ronaldo's this year. A LOT has to change between now and November for Messi to have a chance.

Ronaldo - 19 G+A in 900 min - 1.9 (G+A)/90 min
Messi - 14 G+A in 810 min - 1.55 (G+A)/90 min

3 goals + 2 assists vs Eibar incoming?

spark

Dont know where these 50 goal predictions are coming from, its like its the 1st time anyone saw a Cr start to the season, if he has 46 goals in march like messi did before he got injured in 2013 we'll talk. Last year both he and suarez had 20 goals by January and finished with 31. Messi is still the only player that has been able to sustain that kind of league scoring form for 4 or 5 months straight . There's a reason mortals like CR and Suarez scoring streaks are like 6 or 8 games and Messi's is 19.

Devils

lol...

He's not going to keep this form up for the entire season. He's done enough to win himself the POTY year award (deserved too), but I wouldn't go so far as to say he will break Leo's records.

I also believe that once Suarez comes into the team he will give Leo much more opportunities to score. Just look at how Benzema, Bale and James work for Ronaldo, they create chances galore for him to get goals. On the other hand Leo is the one who has to create chances for us because no one else will.

Neymar has been fantastic at goal scoring but hasn't created many goals for Leo, Pedro has been absolutely useless, Iniesta is way off-form etc...

Messi does astonishing work, but he needs better support from the players around him if he is to compete in a scoring competition with Ronaldo.

Kerrybai

He is clearly going to win the Ballon D'Or. And rightfully so. Messi is not at his level this year either statistically or media wise or trophy wise. He came fifth in the European player of the year trophy and that was right after the World Cup. Sure his voting percentage will increase due to non-European votes but so will Ronaldo's this year. A LOT has to change between now and November for Messi to have a chance.

Messi imo has been the better player this season but goals count for everything in modern football. Messi with a better classico and a couple of hat tricks will make it a tight call.

He also had a far better world cup and Barca top la liga. And yes he is matching Ronaldo for stats.

Ronaldo club and country - 44 goals 12 assists
Messi club and country - 39 goals 18 assists.

Ronaldo has less appearances but I doubt that will be taken into account.

Edit. If Leo leads us to victory against Madrid, beats Ronaldo to Raul's 71 and bags a couple of hat tricks he can still win the award. We also need to stay number 1 in the league.

Last edited:

blaugrana1987

Messi imo has been the better player this season but goals count for everything in modern football. Messi with a better classico and a couple of hat tricks will make it a tight call.

He also had a far better world cup and Barca top la liga. And yes he is matching Ronaldo for stats.

Ronaldo club and country - 44 goals 12 assists
Messi club and country - 39 goals 18 assists.

Ronaldo has less appearances but I doubt that will be taken into account.
Messi may been more productive with how much we depended on him, but Ronaldo was better simply because he was looking hungry. He is always searching for goal (and scoring them) and people notice that. Messi (until now) had games with goal and assist but he wasn't really interested or looking lively in them at all. Hopefully these couple games are sign of things to come though...

Icarium

Lifestealer
The la decima and ucl goal scoring run will count too. Ronaldo has higher chances of winning. That is how ballon d'or is given now a days. Scoring more is enough.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
He's been like a machine. Ballon d'Or of 2013 was rightfully awarded to him, but people have to remember that Messi's injury also played a part.

I have a question for you guys. Don't you think it's weird that they moved the deadline date for votes to right after the WC play-offs? Also, Blatter made some rather insulting comment about Ronaldo one or two months earlier. As for the voting results, Ronaldo only won by around 3% while Messi won most of his Ballon d'Ors with a landslide. Considering all this makes me think Messi will win it.

spark

I think he'll probably win but the European player of the year award isn't really a precursor. European journalists (read hipsters) basically got tired of him winning everything and had been trying since 2012 for any of Schweinsteiger Ribery Iniesta Cristiano etc to end the hegemony. We know that without the reopened vote and hattrick against the Swedes Messi would have walked Bd'or last year. Even after all of that it was still close. If Messi Passes Raul first against Ajax, then passes Zarra against RM with another hattrick (2 in league clasico's is already historic), you can bet it will be too close to call and I favor Messi with those top scorer in two elite competition records at 27 plus a WC final. One of the main reasons he won it last year is the fact that not many players outside of Europe follow day to day goings on's of league football and so the messi injured for eva narrative was easy to swallow, plus they saw the hattrick against sweden. I lost count of how many voting captains and coaches said messi is the best but he was injured too much (still outscored their alternative by 12 goals but fuck, who cares about facts)

Last edited:

Morten

Ronaldo really should have had more assist by now. Problem is that Bale hasnt really turned up this season yet, and Benzema likes better to score in the CL than in the league against low tier teams. Had a good all round game today, not just goals.

Home of Barca Fans