Cr150

TitoTata

Banned
I have always been Messi > Ronaldo to the point where I have always thought people who think opposite are stupid. But I'm having my doubts now.

I think it's even now, both as good as each other and I'm even starting to lean towards Ronaldo > Messi for what he's doing at this World Cup and what Messi isn't doing.

Just hope he doesn't gloat when he collects number 6
It appears as though Cronaldo's EGO is simply driving him to greater things yet for some reason the pressure Cronaldo is putting on him is somehow working against Leo . Pity Messi doesn't have Ibra's inner confidence.

Last edited:

TitoTata

Banned
All that said ..... I am slightly bothered when 'older' elite athletes start getting suddenly brilliant after appearing to be in a pretty sharp decline .. some were writing Cronaldo off a while ago and even Real fans were getting frustrated with him .

BruceWayne11

I have always been Messi > Ronaldo to the point where I have always thought people who think opposite are stupid. But I'm having my doubts now.

I think it's even now, both as good as each other and I'm even starting to lean towards Ronaldo > Messi for what he's doing at this World Cup and what Messi isn't doing.

Just hope he doesn't gloat when he collects number 6

People have been blinded by recent success. Does his general play impress? Does he dribble well? When did he last dominate a game (disregarding goals)? Does his general play fill you with awe like other all time greats? He's more limited than ever before, and yet now he's supposedly better than he was in the past, when he scored more goals over a season, dribbled more and was more active in general play (more impressive to watch). I've always meant that the world's best player can play for a mid-table team and should still get the Ballon d'Or. The CL has become WAY too important.

BBZ8800

So, CR7 for now at a World cup has:
1. a penalty goal
2. a long range goal
3. a freekick goal
4. a header goal

Versatility in attack is never a bad thing.

1. a penalty goal
2. a long range goal
3. a freekick goal
4. a header goal

and should have atleast 3 assists if he would have a better goal scorer than Guedes. But Guedes isnt a bad striker he will explode when he begins to score.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
People have been blinded by recent success. Does his general play impress? Does he dribble well? When did he last dominate a game (disregarding goals)? Does his general play fill you with awe like other all time greats? He's more limited than ever before, and yet now he's supposedly better than he was in the past, when he scored more goals over a season, dribbled more and was more active in general play (more impressive to watch). I've always meant that the world's best player can play for a mid-table team and should still get the Ballon d'Or. The CL has become WAY too important.

Literally 4 days ago against Spain.

BruceWayne11

1. a penalty goal
2. a long range goal
3. a freekick goal
4. a header goal

Only really impressive goal was the freekick, which was beautiful. Number 2 is a goalkeeping mistake (not even "long range"), the header is from 5 metres and a penalty is a penalty (should be over 50% to score for anyone). So basically 1 out of 4 is a difficult or skillful goal.

BBZ8800

Only really impressive goal was the freekick, which was beautiful. Number 2 is a goalkeeping mistake (not even "long range"), the header is from 5 metres and a penalty is a penalty (should be over 50% to score for anyone). So basically 1 out of 4 is a difficult or skillful goal.

Sorry, imo, but this is a Barca's glasses point of view.
So, a goal sucks, unless a player takes the ball at a half of a pitch (Messi/Neymar style), dribbles past 5 defenders and score a solo goal?
Yes, those goals are nice, but that solo goal and a tap-in from 2 meters counts equal at the end of a day.
Both of them will bring 1:0 and 1:0 scores.

Also, if CR7's goals are that simple, why is Messi struggling lately in a CL with scoring easy goals?
Why is Messi not scoring tap-ins from 2 meters or scoring headers from 4 meters?
Also, why are GKs not making mistakes after Messi's shots anymore?
= maybe because he is not shooting too much since he is dropping too deep all the time and gets dispossed

To get lucky, you need to invite some luck by your attempts.

In South America and in Spain, people will get more impressed with dribbling.
In Germany (I guess) people will be more impressed with efficiency and results.

It is a cultural thing and dribbling alone isn't the most important thing in all parts of the world (or not as equally as important).
For some, Neymar has always been top 2-3 player in the world, while in other parts of the world, majority always thought that he plays like a clown and that with him it is all about show and little about efficiency.

Also, you are now talking about playmaking.
Are we talking about the best player or the best playmaker?

Messi is a better playmaker, but his teams (Barca in a CL and Argentina) are not scoring goals anymore.
CR7 is a scorer and his teams (Real in a CL and Portugal) are scoring and scoring and scoring, and winning trophies.
In Portugal he even plays without playmakers from RM, and yet he is scoring free kicks, penalties, headers, with feet, in all possible ways.

Can we at least agree that in the last few years, CR7 is a more clinical finisher than Messi and surely a more versatile finisher?
Also, his movement and positioning in the box is way better.
Messi has better technique, dribbling and creativity.
In terms of results and titles, what CR7 is currently offering, seems to have a bigger impact on results of their teams (except 38 rounds in La Liga, of course).

Last edited:

fcb2000

A very rudimentary and simplistic way of looking at it.

The penalty was a penalty but it was won by him dribbling and being too quick for Nacho.

The header only looked "easy" because of his incredible movement. If you look at how he ran for the near post for that goal bringing the defender with him and then at the very last second changed direction and lost his marker - you'll see it really wasn't easy. And not many players in the game (or in history) have that intelligence off the ball. Also, the bravery he has to go in diving with his head when boots are flying high is crazy.

FiReFTW

With his extreme luck and crazy drive, portugal will probably reach the final, and he will break the world cup scoring record for a single world cup, this forum will implode lol.

BruceWayne11

A very rudimentary and simplistic way of looking at it.

The penalty was a penalty but it was won by him dribbling and being too quick for Nacho.

The header only looked "easy" because of his incredible movement. If you look at how he ran for the near post for that goal bringing the defender with him and then at the very last second changed direction and lost his marker - you'll see it really wasn't easy. And not many players in the game (or in history) have that intelligence off the ball. Also, the bravery he has to go in diving with his head when boots are flying high is crazy.

His movement is often incredible. We can all agree that he's very good at scoring goals through good movement. Ronaldo is in the all time debate, and I'm viewing it in that lense. A goal is not a goal there. It matters how it was created. Someone creating the goal themselves through dribbling 4 players makes a better goal than Ronaldo losing his marker and heading a goal from close range.

gasgas

His movement is often incredible. We can all agree that he's very good at scoring goals through good movement. Ronaldo is in the all time debate, and I'm viewing it in that lense. A goal is not a goal there. It matters how it was created. Someone creating the goal themselves through dribbling 4 players makes a better goal than Ronaldo losing his marker and heading a goal from close range.
There's an award for that, it's called Puskas award.
Being a candidate for puskas award doesnt make you a better player

Home of Barca Fans