Cr150

Ritchie

I feel like what often gets lost on these message boards (which are IMO still some of the best on the web) is that any player could do what CR7 does: that is, score more than 100 international goals, keep scoring consistently in one of Europe's top five leagues at the age of 35.

But they don't because they can't. Because they are not as good as him. It's really not difficult, for me, to realise that.

Older players in Serie A are out scoring him again

50 in 50 is some going but many against crap and amateurs and many Penaldos. Most strikers just aren't as obsessive about playing and scoring in pointless games to break records. He's played 169 games for Portugal. He's only about 10 short of the world record for caps as well as goals.

Last edited:

vegitot

0 goal 0 assist against the like of France, Germany, Italy... Only a lucky hattrick against Spain in 2018 (one dive pk, one gifted from De Gea and one good freekick).

Oh now his fans will say national league is friendly cup tho.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

'' That goal took the Juventus star to 746 for club and country in his storied career, a tally that is said to equal that of Real Madrid and Hungary legend Puskas.

While there is conjecture around the precise number of goals scored by some of the game's greatest players in the previous century, it is widely claimed that Ronaldo is now behind only Pele (767 goals), Romario (772) and Slavia Prague great Josef Bican (805) on the all-time list. ''

Wow he will break the record for the most goals ever, does anyone know how many Messi has ? Leo is the only player who can stop CR7.

BarcaOG

Banned
0 goal 0 assist against the like of France, Germany, Italy... Only a lucky hattrick against Spain in 2018 (one dive pk, one gifted from De Gea and one good freekick).

Oh now his fans will say national league is friendly cup tho.

right, because messi has so many goals against brazil, chile, germany and france in the context of tournament KOs....

both CR and messi had meh international careers, nothing like zidane and ronaldo 9. but hey, at least cr managed to deliver a couple of trophies. and you can bet your house that messi would trade 3 ligas for one copa america, or, indeed, probably all of them for the world cup he missed out on in 2014

KingLeo10

right, because messi has so many goals against brazil, chile, germany and france in the context of tournament KOs....

both CR and messi had meh international careers, nothing like zidane and ronaldo 9. but hey, at least cr managed to deliver a couple of trophies. and you can bet your house that messi would trade 3 ligas for one copa america, or, indeed, probably all of them for the world cup he missed out on in 2014

Yeah, CR delivered that Euro 2016 right from the sidelines.

:lol:

Messi has more goals/game versus higher ranked teams at the NT level. Both are terrible at the NT level compared to their club level but it's amusing to see you turn into a full time CR7 lawyer over here.

serghei

I also see no difference between Messi and CR at NT level. CR got a bit luckier on that Euro, that's it. Messi got unlucky a couple of times. Really, their careers are very very similar in most of their strong points as well as their failures.

BarcaOG

Banned
I also see no difference between Messi and CR at NT level. CR got a bit luckier on that Euro, that's it. Messi got unlucky a couple of times. Really, their careers are very very similar in most of their strong points as well as their failures.

suppose it was the other way around, and messi had won 2 trophies for argentina in the same way cr won his for portugal, with a bit of luck. would you still say that there'd be 'no difference between' their NT careers?

i really doubt it. for whatever reason, when messi achieves something vis a vis cr, it counts, but when cr does it, it doesnt count. thats a really sloppy way to think about it.

KingLeo10

suppose it was the other way around, and messi had won 2 trophies for argentina in the same way cr won his for portugal, with a bit of luck. would you still say that there'd be 'no difference between' their NT careers?

i really doubt it. for whatever reason, when messi achieves something vis a vis cr, it counts, but when cr does it, it doesnt count. thats a really sloppy way to think about it.

Yes, because not everyone is as simple minded as you and a lot of the fanboys on either side are. For instance, I wouldn't care if Messi won a Copa or WC if he didn't have major G+A contributions to it.

BarcaOG

Banned
Yeah, CR delivered that Euro 2016 right from the sidelines.

:lol:

Messi has more goals/game versus higher ranked teams at the NT level. Both are terrible at the NT level compared to their club level but it's amusing to see you turn into a full time CR7 lawyer over here.

nah, i just got tired of messi walking around with his head down while my team (barcelona, not fc messi) is trashed year after year in the CL. on the other hand CR took real to three consecutive CLs scoring bags of goals in the KOs, and even while he hasnt won it with juventus, at least he has been the star performer in cl kos for them. with the exception of the 2 goals messi scored against liverpool in the home leg of 2018, he has been invisible, and crap.

Morten

Neither had very impressive career for their NTs, i mean, they've been okay, but not exactly Brazilian Ronaldo-level or anything like that.

Also, when Ronaldo becomes the all-time top scorer at some point, while an impressive feat, keep in mind just how many more NT games are played these days compared to the past.

I mean, can you imagine how many goals Gerd Muller would have had if he had the opportunity to play 170 games?

Last edited:

KingLeo10

nah, i just got tired of messi walking around with his head down while my team (barcelona, not fc messi) is trashed year after year in the CL. on the other hand CR took real to three consecutive CLs scoring bags of goals in the KOs, and even while he hasnt won it with juventus, at least he has been the star performer in cl kos for them. with the exception of the 2 goals messi scored against liverpool in the home leg of 2018, he has been invisible, and crap.

And yet you weren't tired of Messi when he was winning 5 Ballon D'Or, 3 CL, and all the LL between 08 and 15 while directly beating CR7 H2H in BOTH CL and LL.

If you want to cherry pick, so can I.

BarcaOG

Banned
Yes, because not everyone is as simple minded as you and a lot of the fanboys on either side are. For instance, I wouldn't care if Messi won a Copa or WC if he didn't have major G+A contributions to it.

i mean i either believe you or i dont, and while ill take your word for it, i doubt all of messis faithful would be as objective.

at the end of the day i do agree that both cr and messi underperformed internationally given their immense talent. i give cr the edge simply because at least he managed to secure titles. i mean, that has to count for something doesnt it?

BarcaOG

Banned
And yet you weren't tired of Messi when he was winning 5 Ballon D'Or, 3 CL, and all the LL between 08 and 15 while directly beating CR7 H2H in BOTH CL and LL.

If you want to cherry pick, so can I.

i wasnt, because consistency matters and its been a very long time since then. this is why my view is that while messi had a higher peak--at their prime, messi was decidedly better than cr--cr has had a more impressive career overall.

its also worth noting that given how many here tout messi as the best of all time, that is, the best ever to play professional football then our standards of judgement must be quite high, since that is a very ambitious claim. and in that discussion, we simply cannot ignore the fact that messi has two CLs between the ages of 24 and 33. Those are supposed to be his high performing years, and, frankly, theyre underwhelming

KingLeo10

i wasnt, because consistency matters and its been a very long time since then. this is why my view is that while messi had a higher peak--at their prime, messi was decidedly better than cr--cr has had a more impressive career overall.

its also worth noting that given how many here tout messi as the best of all time, that is, the best ever to play professional football then our standards of judgement must be quite high, since that is a very ambitious claim. and in that discussion, we simply cannot ignore the fact that messi has two CLs between the ages of 24 and 33. Those are supposed to be his high performing years, and, frankly, theyre underwhelming

"Ronaldo has played 15 games against the ‘big five’ European nations – 2 vs England, 3 vs France, 3 vs Germany, 2 vs Italy and 5 vs Spain – but only scored against Spain, getting a celebrated hat-trick against La Roja at the 2018 FIFA World Cup."

So, in 14 out of 15 big games against Europe's best, he's come up with 0 goals.

Messi's record is meh too, but my point is you and a lot of CR7 fanboys are doing cartwheels over his international goal record/success for no reason. Look above.

serghei

I would, truthfully. The major beating stick Ronaldo has against Messi is his goalscoring form in CL against the biggest sides, an impressing achievement he managed to sustain even past his prime, well into his 30s. Nothing else. Similarly, Messi has a higher peak than whatever Ronaldo showed at his best. Not much else for him either.

Peak for peak or prime vs prime, I side with Messi. Past their primes, Ronaldo is better. Here, his competitiveness and fitness dedication are unbeatable and win out in the end.

Neither had very impressive career for their NTs, i mean, they've been okay, but not exactly Brazilian Ronaldo-level or anything like that.

Also, when Ronaldo becomes the all-time top scorer at some point, while an impressive feat, keep in mind just how many more NT games are played these days compared to the past.

I mean, can you imagine how many goals Gerd Muller would have had if he had the opportunity to play 170 games?

That's right. Because people acted as if Messi and Ronaldo were some sort of gods who carried weak sides to incredible glory. The reality is that all of the big titles they've won, and they've won a lot over the last 15 years, have been won in absolutely stacked teams.

Put up the first 11 of the Barca and Madrid sides that won CL with Messi and Ronaldo in them, and you will see only world-class players on each position.

It was expected that once you take them out of their superteam environment and you ask them to play in inferior sides, they're gonna struggle to be as decisive. And struggle they did. Not struggled to be top players, because Ronaldo and Messi still were by far the best players in their teams, but struggled to make their teams play outside of their level.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans