Cr150

JamDav1982

Lol 1 game changes the last 4 years entirely now does it?

I don't even like assist totals as a stat regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgCC9bfyhAs

Watch all of Ronaldo's "great CL assists" and tell me he's up there with the best playmakers in the CL for the past 7 years then lol. Anyone with eyes can see that all his contribution comes in the box or some short passes around it.

You can't have double standards for what players you define as penalty box predators.

No it doesnt change four years and he has not been a poacher for four years either.

Almost impossible to defend if sit deep or sit high.

He is still probably the most deadly player in the world on the break, gets plenty assists and can get a variety of goals.

It is not about 'great assists' I dont even think he is a great finisher his game is about influencing it and he does that through desire, reading poor defending and ability on top.

What double standards?

Ursegor

World Champion
If you didn't believe in Voodoo magic before you should by now.

In the last 5 big competitive games this guy has played in:

- He gets a dodgy 93rd minute penalty while Juve had actually turned the tie
- Bayern gift goals in BACK TO BACK games in CL semis like a second division team. Like, when have you seen errors like that at that level of football? Twice. The fact that on top of that most of Bayern's key players were missing (Neuer, Robben, Vidal, Boateng) isn't even worth mentioning at that point.
- Then the best player and candidate for World Player of The Year gets inevitably injured and Liverpool's goalkeeper gifts Madrid the title.
- Secures a hattrick against Spain via penalty, goalkeeper error by supposedly the best goalkeeper in the world (lol @ United fans hyping this guy up before he even shows anything in the CL or at intl. level) and a freekick goal which he hadn't scored for Portugal in probably about 500 attempts (Philipp Lahm 1 man wall freekick scene comes to mind).

You better believe in Voodoo.

jamrock

If you didn't believe in Voodoo magic before you should by now.

In the last 5 big competitive games this guy has played in:

- He gets a dodgy 93rd minute penalty while Juve had actually turned the tie
- Bayern gift goals in BACK TO BACK games in CL semis like a second division team. Like, when have you seen errors like that at that level of football? Twice. The fact that on top of that most of Bayern's key players were missing (Neuer, Robben, Vidal, Boateng) isn't even worth mentioning at that point.
- Then the best player and candidate for World Player of The Year gets inevitably injured and Liverpool's goalkeeper gifts Madrid the title.
- Secures a hattrick against Spain via penalty, goalkeeper error by supposedly the best goalkeeper in the world (lol @ United fans hyping this guy up before he even shows anything in the CL or at intl. level) and a freekick goal which he hadn't scored for Portugal in probably about 500 attempts (Philipp Lahm 1 man wall freekick scene comes to mind).

You better believe in Voodoo.

My thoughts exactly

JamDav1982

Or better believe some folk have a melt down and look for excuses any time Ronaldo wins.

The Juve tie?

That be the one Ronaldo scored twice in Turin - one of them an all time great CL goal and then assisted the other in the 3-0 win?

Then wins header to help win pen which he then scored. A game he was Reals best player despite the defeat.

Some try to use that late pen to put them through as Ronaldos 'luck' though.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

where was ur messiah 2016-2018 cl knockout ? oh yeah scoring goal vs malaga and las palmas i guess?

dont be a retarted fans. messi has been shit in big games without iniesta and xavi.

get a copa win first FFS

messi is more skillfull. but his mental game is not even close than ronaldo. thats why ronaldo is more clutch.

cant event get back to back champion league. but talking cock to player who got trepeat.

both is god. messi more skillfull but ronaldo mentality is far above messi. accept it and move on

not every skill can be judged by eyes.

messi might be 10 and ronaldo 8 using football skill. but ronaldo mentality is 20 while messie is 6

thats why ronaldo is clutch. he never gave up. always focus. self driven. this guy is insane

This guy is banned, but he has a point.

As time passes, I would personally say that:
Messi has natural skill 100/100
CR7 has 85/100

BUT:
Messi's mental strength is like 30/100
While CR7 is like a robot with 100/100

Messi plays well when everything is fine.
When things go horribly wrong, he gets in problems too often.
Robot CR7 will raise from dead more often.

Also, results wise, it seems that Messi was in a God mode only for a few years (on a CL level).
While CR7's career seems to be way longer.

Messi is more consistent in small matches (La Liga) and a ghost in the last 5-ish years in a CL knockout matches.
CR7 is not as good week in week out (La Liga), but always rises in biggest matches like CL, Euros and similar.

Messi is my favorite player ever, but some things about his weaker mental strength are true.
If tomorrow we would play CL semis 2nd leg against Bayern and we would be losing 0:1 in the 70th minute on aggreggate, in this moment, I would rather have crazy robot CR7 in my team (Barca) for the last 20 minutes.
That dude will create some shit.
Either a pen, either a lucky tap in with his insane positioning, either a header in a 94th minute.
This older Messi (last 5 years) will usually sulk, try a few dribbles, probably fail and give up and we will lose.

In short: in terms of pure footballing skills, Messi is better.
In terms of Youtube compilations, Messi is better.
La Ligas, no pressure matches, more consistency in smaller matches: Messi
In terms of who is better in key matches, like CL knockout rounds: in the end, CR7.
Euros/World cup till now: CR7.
Mental strength in the last 10-20 minutes of key matches: CR7
Motivation: CR7
Smarter planning, resting: CR7

I love Messi and everything, but Cr7 is mentally a fucking robot and is smarter in planning and resting.

And honestly, if I were an owner of some oil club and if I could spend 300M tomorrow for either Messi or CR7, in THIS moment, it would have been 50:50 for me.
Messi is a better footballer and will bring you league championship.
But in terms of a CL, in THIS moment, it seems that a team with CR7 has a higher chances to win knockout tournaments.

Messi's teams are too Messi-dependant and built only around him.
And then, if he breaks under pressure, your team is screwed.

El Gato

Villarato!
This guy is incredible. I hate his guts, but put a record in front of him (3 goals in WC until today), egg him on, give him a tax lawsuit and you'll just piss him off and he'll kill you. Monster.

If he keeps at it, he will smash this World Cup to pieces no matter the opposition.

.... and I do hazard a statement that he is potentially going to have a longer lasting legacy of performing this well at this age than Messi. To continue to deliver in massive fixtures like this at 33-34 years old you need to work obsessively hard. I don't see Messi doing that somehow. He's not mentally sick with it like Ronaldo is. And that could be the difference maker. Who knows.

Stoichkov1

This guy is incredible. I hate his guts, but put a record in front of him (3 goals in WC until today), egg him on, give him a tax lawsuit and you'll just piss him off and he'll kill you. Monster.

If he keeps at it, he will smash this World Cup to pieces no matter the opposition.

.... and I do hazard a statement that he is potentially going to have a longer lasting legacy at this age than Messi. To continue to deliver in massive fixtures like this at 33-34 years old you need to work obsessively hard. I don't see Messi doing that somehow. He's not mentally sick with it like Ronaldo is. And that could be the difference maker. Who knows.

You're a Real Madrid fan and you hate Ronaldo?

Stoichkov1

This guy is banned, but he has a point.

As time passes, I would personally say that:
Messi has natural skill 100/100
CR7 has 85/100

BUT:
Messi's mental strength is like 30/100
While CR7 is like a robot with 100/100

Messi plays well when everything is fine.
When things go horribly wrong, he gets in problems too often.
Robot CR7 will raise from dead more often.

Also, results wise, it seems that Messi was in a God mode only for a few years (on a CL level).
While CR7's career seems to be way longer.

Messi is more consistent in small matches (La Liga) and a ghost in the last 5-ish years in a CL knockout matches.
CR7 is not as good week in week out (La Liga), but always rises in biggest matches like CL, Euros and similar.

Messi is my favorite player ever, but some things about his weaker mental strength are true.
If tomorrow we would play CL semis 2nd leg against Bayern and we would be losing 0:1 in the 70th minute on aggreggate, in this moment, I would rather have crazy robot CR7 in my team (Barca) for the last 20 minutes.
That dude will create some shit.
Either a pen, either a lucky tap in with his insane positioning, either a header in a 94th minute.
This older Messi (last 5 years) will usually sulk, try a few dribbles, probably fail and give up and we will lose.

In short: in terms of pure footballing skills, Messi is better.
In terms of Youtube compilations, Messi is better.
La Ligas, no pressure matches, more consistency in smaller matches: Messi
In terms of who is better in key matches, like CL knockout rounds: in the end, CR7.
Euros/World cup till now: CR7.
Mental strength in the last 10-20 minutes of key matches: CR7
Motivation: CR7
Smarter planning, resting: CR7

I love Messi and everything, but Cr7 is mentally a fucking robot and is smarter in planning and resting.

And honestly, if I were an owner of some oil club and if I could spend 300M tomorrow for either Messi or CR7, in THIS moment, it would have been 50:50 for me.
Messi is a better footballer and will bring you league championship.
But in terms of a CL, in THIS moment, it seems that a team with CR7 has a higher chances to win knockout tournaments.

Messi's teams are too Messi-dependant and built only around him.
And then, if he breaks under pressure, your team is screwed.

I agree with you, and it's also obvious if you take into consideration league matches against big teams(Atletico, Real and Valencia or Sevilla) where usually Messi performs better.

Let Messi and Ronaldo play 10 matches without pressure against big teams and he will perform better than Ronaldo because he's the better footballer.

Let Messi and Ronaldo play a CL final or a WC final and Ronaldo will perform better because of his mentality.

BBZ8800

I agree with you, and it's also obvious if you take into consideration league matches against big teams(Atletico, Real and Valencia or Sevilla) where usually Messi performs better.

Let Messi and Ronaldo play 10 matches without pressure against big teams and he will perform better than Ronaldo because he's the better footballer.

Let Messi and Ronaldo play a CL final or a WC final and Ronaldo will perform better because of his mentality.

True.

If life was a game and if we could change players all the time:
1. if Barca plays against Getafe tomorrow, would you pick Messi or CR7?
= Messi, of course. He will alone play, dribble, create and win a match.
2. if Barca plays against Atletico Madrid in La Liga, would you pick Messi or CR7?
= Messi
But:
3. if Barca plays against Atletico in CL's 1/4, would you pick Messi or CR7?
= I would take CR7 in this moment
4. if you play Euros/World cup/Copa America/CL final tomorrow, would you pick Messi or CR7?
= currently CR7
5. if you have a pen in the 94th minute at 0:0 score in a World cup final, would you pick Messi or CR7?
= the robot, of course

Messi is a better footballer on skills.
Messi is better week in week out, especially against weaker La liga opponents without too much pressure.
But when it comes to big CL matches, world cup, Copa America, something "died" in Messi 5-6 years ago and he became a scared guy.
When your team is winning 2:0 against AM, Messi will play fine.
When your team is winning 2:0 against AM, CR7 will tap in 5 more goals in the last 10 minutes.
BUT, when you are losing 0:2 in the 70th minute in a CL quarters against AM, current Messi will sulk and give up.
When you are losing 0:2 in the 70th minute in a CL quarters against AM, robot CR7 will score 1 in the 74th minute and another one (this or that way lucky/voodoo/horror-show individual mistake/ref's mistake) in the 94the minute and will lead you to a win in extra time.

In terms of pure skills, Messi is better.
But football, and RESULTS in the end, are influenced by way more factors than just pure technical skills (about which imo, our fans are too obssessed, as if technique alone, not only in Messi's case but in case of all players=is everything).
IQ, Motivation, hunger, mental strength, bravery in key moments, natural leadership, preparation, physical skills.
Those things counts also.
And this is why CR7 with weaker technical skills managed to win more "big" trophies (5 Cls+ Euros) in the end than Messi (till now).

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It is true that having much better mentality contributes to Ronaldo doing much better in big games, but I think there are other things such as Ronaldo’s style of playing these days which relies a lot on services to score headers close to the goal. And he has what it takes to score them: the likes of Marcelo and Carvajal etc. can do that every game and Ronaldo himself being the perfect human specimen(he trains hard for it) so in shape, so athletic and his superb sense of where he should be allow him to outflank and outjump opposing players to finish it. Ronaldo is really smart as he is taking advantage of all his advantages.

Question17

And Ronaldo could never lead a league in assists for a season the way Gerd Muller did

Did someone record all of Bayern's games in the 60s and 70s and then did some poor soul(s) watch 15 years worth of grainy Bayern games to come up with those stats? If not, I thought assists were a recent metric I had no idea that 1960s german officials were keeping track of things like that.

TitoTata

Banned
Unless Messi either dominates the finals or gets the top scorer with some great goals then the upcoming world player award will go to Cronaldo which will put him 7:6 up in the head to head and I don't see Messi getting anymore after this season ..

BarcaOG

Banned
he just has so much more motivation to be the best than messi, even if it means looking like an arrogant douchebag. messi, not so much. if only he had that drive..

Givenchy

I've never seen anything like him before, in any sport. hes not the best technically but his motivation and drive.. damn, I have to salute him for that. he feeds off the hate, the more whistles and boos the stronger he becomes, the guy is so far up his own asshole in a strange way its inspirational

i remember when i used to lurk here and with Barca friends people would joke about him being a bottler and all those memes of his face when Messi took 3 Ballon d'ors in a row, oh how funny it was back then. this guy probably punched a hole in the wall and acted like a total brat but he came back 100x stronger and 1000x more obsessed. hes a very smart player and knows exactly how to get his name in the headlines.

my Madrid friend has a love/hate relationship with him, Madrids best ever player but an absolute bellend of a personality. I could never be a fan of such a diva but even as a cule i respect how hard hes worked to catch up to Messi.

Home of Barca Fans