Club Atlético Boca Juniors

Pepe Silvia

Original. You may not like Boca Juniors and that's cool, but consider how much impact they have had for Argentine football over the history of Copa Libertadores and bringing that trophy back home where it belongs. I think we have a good chance to steal it this year, even though our squad still needs a little work. More Argentine teams need to step it up and represent, although that article paints a good picture about the quality of up and coming stars moving to Brazil due to more funds. Interested to see the Argentina Primera represented more heavily in Copa.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Original. You may not like Boca Juniors and that's cool, but consider how much impact they have had for Argentine football over the history of Copa Libertadores and bringing that trophy back home where it belongs. I think we have a good chance to steal it this year, even though our squad still needs a little work. More Argentine teams need to step it up and represent, although that article paints a good picture about the quality of up and coming stars moving to Brazil due to more funds. Interested to see the Argentina Primera represented more heavily in Copa.

While the Brazilian teams are sadly dominant, and the reality of the situation is the Brazilian league is by far the richest in the continent, Argentine teams have still won two of the past 5 Copas, to no benefit to Argentine player development. The U-20s still have more River prospects than Boca or Estudiantes ones, no matter how terrible River's first team is.

Argentine football has a lot of problems, and Boca still being relatively successful because Macri did a great job getting investment to use the club as his political platform has and will continue to do nothing for the league as a whole.

Pepe Silvia

Great representation for U-20s from RP. Last U-20 Boca had great representation as well.

So what do you think is the solution for Argentina football as a whole? I tend to see the TV airtime split between Arg/Bra leagues. As long as homegrown players from Arg continue getting hand picked from the Primera and go overseas, there is always going to be problems with consistency and quality remaining on the home front. What are front offices doing to remedy that, do you know?

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Great representation for U-20s from RP. Last U-20 Boca had great representation as well.

So what do you think is the solution for Argentina football as a whole? I tend to see the TV airtime split between Arg/Bra leagues. As long as homegrown players from Arg continue getting hand picked from the Primera and go overseas, there is always going to be problems with consistency and quality remaining on the home front. What are front offices doing to remedy that, do you know?

Well that's the thing, Boca and River both still have the best production in the country regardless of their opposite fortunes elsewhere. Boca being soundly managed by a right wing bastard but a smart one with political ambitions while River was directed by a series of fat crooks, neither has had any real impact on the Argentine league and national team.

The problem is, much like everything in Argentina, the league is being held back by incompetence and corruption. Too many people interested in nothing but lining their pockets and it goes all the way to the top. It's not completely hopeless, Brazilian football was at one point just as bad, but I don't see any remedy anytime soon. There's a few very well managed clubs that should continue to represent Argentina well - Velez, Estudiantes, possibly Lanus. The more famous clubs need to get their act together.

Even with my love of all things Argentina and Argentine football, I just can't bring myself to support Boca in the Libertadores. In a god awful final against a Brazilian club I despise like Santos I might swallow the vomit and hope for a Barca win, though not against someone like Vasco or Internacional. It was bad enough supporting Estudiantes.

Thankfully the Libertadores is epic enough that there will always be a few underdogs to cheer on.

Pepe Silvia

Well that's the thing, Boca and River both still have the best production in the country regardless of their opposite fortunes elsewhere. Boca being soundly managed by a right wing bastard but a smart one with political ambitions while River was directed by a series of fat crooks, neither has had any real impact on the Argentine league and national team.
Although I can't blame them for self-interest in respective clubs, I can see the overall frustration of fans and other clubs in general. Kind of like in La Liga for example.
The problem is, much like everything in Argentina, the league is being held back by incompetence and corruption. Too many people interested in nothing but lining their pockets and it goes all the way to the top. It's not completely hopeless, Brazilian football was at one point just as bad, but I don't see any remedy anytime soon. There's a few very well managed clubs that should continue to represent Argentina well - Velez, Estudiantes, possibly Lanus. The more famous clubs need to get their act together.

Even with my love of all things Argentina and Argentine football, I just can't bring myself to support Boca in the Libertadores. In a god awful final against a Brazilian club I despise like Santos I might swallow the vomit and hope for a Barca win, though not against someone like Vasco or Internacional. It was bad enough supporting Estudiantes.
I don't blame you, if I were a RP fan, I'd be livid like a CR if I saw what Boca Juniors are doing right now :p
Thankfully the Libertadores is epic enough that there will always be a few underdogs to cheer on.
There are plenty of underdogs for sure. Lanus is a good example of that, even though they led their group, they are mid table in league. Like to see the Argentina teams go far.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I don't blame you, if I were a RP fan, I'd be livid like a CR if I saw what Boca Juniors are doing right now :p

Meh, this Boca team has a lot to prove. They are a good, efficient team, not particularly interesting. They dominated an exceptionally weak year for the league (still, dominance is dominance), but I wouldn't exactly consider them favourites for the Copa yet.

Most River fans are more pissed at their own team and the circus that surrounds it, with the usual cries of Boca loving refs ruining everything (see cules right now too), but most anger has to be directed at getting rid of the losing mentality that has been haunting us since 2008.

Pepe Silvia

The go ahead goal today was nothing short of brilliant. It had everything and it shows that we will fight till the end for this. We go in with experience, talent (forwards-mid-keeper), coaching, and drive. All we need is discipline on defense (schiavi and insurralde go missing too often and clemente has easy to spot flaws) and better decision making on passing (we give up the ball far too easy going for glory rather than playing the smarter passes). Were in the perfect position to make it to the next stage flying well under the radar which works perfectely for us as we will have that time to sort through those problems before a catastrophe happens. Falcioni and his staff are at it making the most of our resources in league and copa. They have tinkered with two formations lately, one that is fast moving on the wings for counter attacks and one suited for dominance in the middle of the park. Havent seen much of the former tbh but word is under that formation we are undefeated. Id suspect this may be our rabbit in the hat in later stages.

Pepe Silvia

We got ourselves in some serious trouble today. Careless football in such an important match. Not happy about giving up points especially with Copa coming up.

On a positive note, our hinchada is averaging the highest attendance in away matches by some distance. Love that.

Pepe Silvia

We were sold out tonight and also averaging the highest in Primera home attendance so I don't know what you're on about... ;)

Pepe Silvia

Abel Braga (DT de Fluminense): "Es muy desagradable enfrentarlos otra vez. Es una cosa diferente a todos los otros partidos, especialmente en su cancha. Se siente esa gente, a medida que alientan al equipo, es algo anormal. Ellos cantan y, si hacés un gol, cantan más alto. No sé si en este mundo existe en la misma cultura, una relación tan fuerte entre el equipo y los hinchas"
La Bombonera + LA 12
:wub:

Home of Barca Fans