CL Round 2: Porto - Barca 0-1

kilian

Unfortunately the referee was Barca best player (2nd ter Stegen, 3rd Ferran). After the match the obvious question arises, was Porto that good or Barca that weak? BTW. Ferran will probably continue to sit on the bench despite the important goal.
Why was the referee Barca`s best player?

kilian

One of the worst games I've seen in a while. Absolutely atrocious. Cannot believe that penaldo against Kounde wasn't given - you had shirt pull, off ball contact, everything you needed....stunning. The handball was extremely close and could have gone either way. Absolutely shocking performance from the players, with Xavi putting in a 0/10 once again.

Team looked in absolute shambles, like a pub team trying to pass the ball through a non existent midfield. I couldn't believe my eyes at the kinds of touches Romeu was displaying. 2 years and this team and Xavi have learnt nothing. Less luck or a better team and Barca gets humiliated once again. I think we can all see it coming - another CL humiliation if we continue like this.
Kounde pen was 50-50, soft for me to give it. Second one was definitely not a penalty. Cancelo`s handball play was outside the box and it was Porto handball before that (at least looked like it).
Other than that - completely agree. The game was a disaster from our side. Romeu is a trash player, who needs to be benched as soon as possible.

malvolio

We should do something about our defense starting from the midfield.
Feels a humiliation incoming.
Don't think FDJ-Gundogan-Pedri would be enough in games vs teams that play high intensity football. Maybe something like a double pivot to be employed.

The bigger issue is that we have a weak attack, with no depth. Teams will not be fearful of us because we lack pace and incisiveness upfront. Felix is better than nothing, but not good enough. Lewa is weaker by the day. On the right we can't depend on Yamal as he is a kid and Raphinha/Ferran are underwhelming.

Squad overall is weak and lacks quality. You can't be a serious contender and bring on the likes of Fermin and Roberto from the bench, away at Porto.

ajnotkeith

Don't think FDJ-Gundogan-Pedri would be enough in games vs teams that play high intensity football. Maybe something like a double pivot to be employed.

The bigger issue is that we have a weak attack, with no depth. Teams will not be fearful of us because we lack pace and incisiveness upfront. Felix is better than nothing, but not good enough. Lewa is weaker by the day. On the right we can't depend on Yamal as he is a kid and Raphinha/Ferran are underwhelming.

Squad overall is weak and lacks quality. You can't be a serious contender and bring on the likes of Fermin and Roberto from the bench, away at Porto.
Funnily enough, Ferran is probably our only forward with the get in behind characteristic.
He's probably the only one who would be effective running channels on the counter.

He may become very important to our campaign.

Gnidrologist

What a shitshow of a game. That's all i can say. Xavi is clueless, when he isn't bailed out by individual class of some players. Barca looked worse than Porto the whole match and Porto was shit.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
We need to splurge a little on a new DM... I don't think we can secure anyone in the winter, but next summer. FDJ in a double pivot with somebody (other than Romeu of f course!) until we find somebody.

Birdy

Xavi for me is B-level in world football terms. He isn't the worst and he gets a lot of unfair slack when his results record is pretty good, however, I don't see him as a manager who could make that final push to say CL glory or to be the best team in the world even given we provide another big budget summer. I believe given time that Arteta, Nagelsmann, Inzaghi etc could be that in a post-Pep era.

Xavi has done a good job rebuilding the organisation and bringing structure back to the dressing room and club, so if we do have future success, he is a big part of it naturally, he laid the foundations. But I think if nothing is won this season, someone else needs to be hired to build on those foundations and to take it to the next level, a world-class level, where we can compete against the best in Europe for titles..

I don't disagree with the most of what you write.
The thing is, that IMO someone with the skillset you mention on the sociopolitical side that is important for a club like Barca shouldn't be the coach of the club.
Maybe there should be a position for him in our organizational chart, charged with communicating the ideal and project to players, working close to the coach in the dressing room, keeping things in place in terms of values and discipline, etc , maybe within the SD department (certainly not acting as an SD with authority over transfers, as he has been doing until now)

But he shouldn't decide how the team plays, who plays, and who gets transferred in/out

Home of Barca Fans