CL | Round 1: Borussia Dortmund - FC Barcelona 0-0

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
May sound like a cliche or beating a dead horse but we will not win CL with Valverde, I am convinced of it. I hoped for a sign last night that Anfield was not only a distant memory but there's some fight in this dog - there was not ultimately. We look very sloppy and at no time in the past decade can I recall a more impotent Barca away from home, it's strange to see a Barcelona team regularly looking to be undone by an opposing team who are more fluid in attack. But, this is life under Valverde

mc_lovin

Back then people said that we are losing balls because Raki is not press resistant.

Because its true? Just rewatch Roma and Anfield. Rakitic was our worst performer. So I am glad that we had a midfield that actually looked decent vs a strong away team yesterday, but that doesnt mean the work is done. Next up should be our attack. Inverting Fati and Griezmann last game was just weird and didnt work at all. Only explanation is that Valverde wants to make Griezmann familiar on the right, which screams disaster. The saving grace were our injury problems though, we will see how things evolve.

May sound like a cliche or beating a dead horse but we will not win CL with Valverde, I am convinced of it. I hoped for a sign last night that Anfield was not only a distant memory but there's some fight in this dog - there was not ultimately. We look very sloppy and at no time in the past decade can I recall a more impotent Barca away from home, it's strange to see a Barcelona team regularly looking to be undone by an opposing team who are more fluid in attack. But, this is life under Valverde

I dont know. The thing is every other team has their own problems as well. Decent midfield+inspired Messi is as good a shot as anyone else. Valverde wont help, thats for sure though.

Porque

Back then people said that we are losing balls because Raki is not press resistant.

Today we had 3 press resistant midfielders and still couldn't do anything.

We avoided a press and still couldn't do anything.

My point: people think that we will be fixed without Raki or Ev.
That is like a level 1 or a step 1.
Remove them and new 9 problems/levels will occur until our team will be fixed.

We fixed a press resistance today.
But we still lacked running, passion, leaders, attacking options, shots on goals, goals and even defending.

We were able to hold possession for periods thanks to those "press resistant midfielders", which in Anfield we were completely overwhelmed.

To be honest I still see a place in this team for Rakitic as our most advanced of the midfield trident. It probably won't happen because of the position Busi holds in the squad though.

Still a work in progress of our midfield grows together and Messi has to return. But now the issue we are having is the same as Valencia game. When the midfield is bypassed the central defence trident is struggling with the opposition (Lenglet-Pique-Busquets). Busquests is too slow, Lenglet is not at his best level while Pique has been good. It doesn't help when both de Jong and Arthur are pressed to defend at our attacking third as they can't get back to the oil tankers.

Then there is the attack where we are too pedestrian and lack individual spark. But this is Valverde-ball all over. Atleast when -Alba-Griezmann-de Jong-Messi develop an understanding we will be able to create some chances with their one touch-play with Messi.

Last edited:

slvtn

Too early to judge how this season will turn out. Madrid looked horrendous during group stage in two of their 3 CL winning runs.

Might be a good sign then if Barca continues with these horrendous appearances. Will be the same in the forthcoming matches, although I still have a bit of hope left that they can beat Slavia 1-0 with the top team on the pitch.

EdmondDantes

Another positive from last night was the fact Inter only got point vs Slavia Prague. And apparently they were outplayed all game and were lucky to get a last minute equaliser.

The Observer

2/3 of the midfield is promising but the rest of the team is forgetable.

Semedo not Barca level.

Pique, Busquets, Alba goners.

Suarez, Messi, Griezmann no pace, width or energy as predicted.

If somehow Barca get Neymar in the winter window there might be some 4 or 5 months of resurrection with Messi, Neymar, Griezmann clicking but other than that forget the CL.

A third La Liga title in a row without another away CL humiliation should be the aim this season.

Marshall D Teach

2/3 of the midfield is promising

Who has been going to ridiculous lengths to give 1 of the 2 as few minutes as possible, even going as far as benching him in our biggest game last season (a game he was basically made for, at that)?

Pique, Busquets, Alba goners.

Who's refusing to bench them?

Suarez, Messi, Griezmann no pace, width or energy as predicted.

Who fielded them?

If somehow Barca get Neymar in the winter window there might be some 4 or 5 months of resurrection with Messi, Neymar, Griezmann clicking but other than that forget the CL.

Neymar won't help if that inept moron is still on the bench. What we really need is Valverde gone ASAP and a coach who knows what he's doing brought in.

A third La Liga title in a row without another away CL humiliation should be the aim this season.

Seems like this is the new Valverde fanboy argument: "Let's just aspire to be shit" :lol: Anything besides actually fixing the problem.

Last edited:

PhilS

It happens with every single penaldo taken in all of world football.

This one was egregious. Ter Stegen was way off his line. No way that pen would have been saved without that advantage. It was a stupid pen committed by Semedo, and a clear ref error to not have this one re-kicked.

Despite the failed pen kick, Reuss was the best player on the field. What saved Barca was the error by the ref and really bad Dortmund shooting.

Marshall D Teach

Love how Valverde fanboys want us to be mediocre and aspire to be mediocre rather than firing Valverde. Shows where their priorities lie.

Let me repeat that: Valverde fanboys want Barca to stay shit just so Valverde can keep his job. They've got to be Madridista trolls at this point. Either that or they truly are fans of Valverde rather than the club. How Valverde managed to get himself such a cult I'll never know.

Last edited:

The Observer

The 5 stages of grief and loss:

1. Denial: "We're still the best team in the world, look at all the talent we have. Démbéle best youngerster in the world, Arthur next Xavi, Semedo must start RB, Griezmann incredible linkup, Messi GOAT."
2. Anger: "Cuntverde, Rakitic, Roberto, it's all your fault."
3. Bargaining: "If only we had ten Hag, we would own. Bartomeu, get it done you fool! Dear God, let elections in 2021 bring us back Pep."
4. Depression: "Never gonna win the CL, BATE Borisov would beat us away from home."
5. Acceptance: "Every team goes through cycles, Barca's ended with Xavi, Iniesta, Alves. Messi is the last one keeping everything together. But it's fine, we had our time."

At which stage are you? I guess Barcaforum is somewhere between 2 and 3. Personally I'm already ahead between 4 and 5.

Sasuke85

If Neymar plays for PSG tonight, then even if we get him this winter, he will not be qualified to play for us in CL for the rest of this season, am I correct?

PhilS

De Jong and Arthur were not bad, but elarly the best midfielders were on the other team. This was an excellent game from the entire Dortmend midfield. Humels was also fantastic, Dortmund defended really, really well.

Home of Barca Fans