• Napoli

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Others (Specify)

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DucdeOrléans

I actually want to see a Barca - manu match. Beat them over two legs. That should quiet down the fangirls.

I thought outplaying them in TWO CL-finals at the span of 3 years was enough.

I want us to play Ajax. As I remember we have never meet before in an official game which is rather strange considering our similarity.

Napoli would also be interesting.

dalitis8

Banned
Give me an easy draw, we can pick up revs later on in the tournament.

Ajax, or Marseille/Olympiacos, or Napoli, or Lille, or Porto.

No United, no Chelski.

Manuel Traquete

What exactly makes United and Chelsea such difficult draws? A team like Napoli has a lot more potential to cause trouble, on their day they can beat anyone.

There's no reason to fear the current Chelsea and United, I'm not even sure they'll seal qualification this week.

dalitis8

Banned
You are exaggerating on the EPL weakness thing.

Chelsea and United are not as strong as they were between 06-09, but they are sure as hell by far the strongest teams that we may have to encounter in the Last 16 phase.

Napoli got two amazing results against City, but that is not enough to convince me that they are as good as almost everyone in here seems to believe. I know it was only a stupid friendly, but Napoli came to play the Gamber at full-strength whilst we used several second-string players and were still very far from match fitness but we annihilated them 5-0.

They may as well be the third toughest team that we may possibly have to face in the Last 16, but I would not even consider comparing them to a United or a Chelsea. Napoli simply cannot match United and Chelsea in terms of squad depth, overall quality, and CL KO experience. One win over City does not change things so radically for my money.

dalitis8

Banned
People who bet on football (in contrast with pundits and fans) actually put their money, where their mouths are, these are the odds for the CL title at Betfair:

1. Barcelona 2.98

2. Real Madrid 4

3. Bayern Munich 8.2

4. Man Utd 14.5

5. Chelsea 18.5

6. Arsenal 26

7. Man City 28

8. AC Milan 34

9. Inter 44

10. Napoli 65

Manuel Traquete

You are exaggerating on the EPL weakness thing.

Chelsea and United are not as strong as they were between 06-09, but they are sure as hell by far the strongest teams that we may have to encounter in the Last 16 phase.

Napoli got two amazing results against City, but that is not enough to convince me that they are as good as almost everyone in here seems to believe. I know it was only a stupid friendly, but Napoli came to play the Gamber at full-strength whilst we used several second-string players and were still very far from match fitness but we annihilated them 5-0.

They may as well be the third toughest team that we may possibly have to face in the Last 16, but I would not even consider comparing them to a United or a Chelsea. Napoli simply cannot match United and Chelsea in terms of squad depth, overall quality, and CL KO experience. One win over City does not change things so radically for my money.

People who bet on football (in contrast with pundits and fans) actually put their money, where their mouths are, these are the odds for the CL title at Betfair:

1. Barcelona 2.98

2. Real Madrid 4

3. Bayern Munich 8.2

4. Man Utd 14.5

5. Chelsea 18.5

6. Arsenal 26

7. Man City 28

8. AC Milan 34

9. Inter 44

10. Napoli 65

Odds makers are not very reliable at all, especially when it comes to the Champions League. Only once since 2004 did the odds-on favorite win the CL (Barca last year).

United, City and Chelsea were also odds-on favorites to win their groups and look what happened. It looks as if odds makers have also bought into the PL hype.

I have to say these odds aren't very credible at all. Given the current circunstances, Napoli at 65 and City at 28 is frankly a joke. City are very likely to be out in two days, at the expense of Napoli.

And Inter 9th favorite?! Whoever made these odds hasn't been watching much football this season. They'll be sent packing by the first good team they face, they were tremendously lucky to be in the weakest group in recent CL memory.

Regardless of their reputation, this season Chelsea and United have shown nothing that should make us fear them. Ok, Chelsea are in a tough group with two very good teams in Leverkusen and Valencia, but United are slugging it out with Basel of all teams (no disrespect, but Basel isn't exactly a worldclass side), are these the fearsome juggernauts we should wish to avoid in the next stage?

Napoli are a very streaky side but if their golden trio is on song they can beat any team in Europe. The Gamper game in no way represents their true quality. None of those teams listed have been truly world class this season to be fair.

Last edited:

dalitis8

Banned
Barca were the top favorite in 08/09 as well. But after a couple of months when we started clicking.

The odds that I have provided are not from any one bookmaker. But from the collective exchanges of thousands of people from around the world.

The fact that the favorite usually loses, is nothing but expected. None of the favorites ever paid less than 2/1 (which would mean 50% chance of winning) It was usually somewhere around 8 to 12. So in fact, there were many favorites, and one of them won the whole thing.

Even Barca and Madrid this season, are at 3 and 4 respectively. So the chances are that (individually) not one would win it. Barca has one chance in 3, according to the bookies, or 33%. Madrid 1 in 4. 25%. So there is still (according to the people who play with their money) 42% chance, that the CL victor will not be Spanish.

Manuel Traquete

Barca were the top favorite in 08/09 as well. But after a couple of months when we started clicking.

The odds that I have provided are not from any one bookmaker. But from the collective exchanges of thousands of people from around the world.

The fact that the favorite usually loses, is nothing but expected. None of the favorites ever paid less than 2/1 (which would mean 50% chance of winning) It was usually somewhere around 8 to 12. So in fact, there were many favorites, and one of them won the whole thing.

Even Barca and Madrid this season, are at 3 and 4 respectively. So the chances are that (individually) not one would win it. Barca has one chance in 3, according to the bookies, or 33%. Madrid 1 in 4. 25%. So there is still (according to the people who play with their money) 42% chance, that the CL victor will not be Spanish.

Yeah, but I maintain that those odds aren't very reliable. The top 10 teams there are the highest profile teams from the four current top leagues in the world, which is basically the same as in years past.

Normally, that's a somewhat safe move from odds makers, but not always. When not so high profile teams like Porto and Monaco in 2004 or Villareal in 2006 have great campaigns, their predictions crumble.

Those odds are made mostly on reputation, and some of them will fail monumentally. I mean, City 28 and Napoli 65? Inter in the top 10? Inter ahead of a team like Valencia for instance is just bizarre.

The bookies are playing it safe by picking the most famous/hyped teams, but that leaves a significant margin of error. Those odds can't possibly have been made by someone who has been following Europe's leagues closely this season.

I wouldn't take the fact that United and Chelsea are 4th and 5th favorite for odds makers as a significant indicator. After all, weren't they odds-on favorites to win their groups too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans