CL | 1/8 Finals: FC Barcelona - Lyon 5-1 agg.

JerseyAddict

Honestly I am not sure if we can put up with Ajax's energetic and ecstatic attacking play. Really impressed by their two games against Real Madrid. They gave Bayern a hard time too.

For me, I'd like us to get Porto or Spurs.
Yes, Porto and Spurs are easier, but Ajax had crumbling Real on the other side. Barcelona is something else.

BarçaBarça

Very unnecessary to get us fans anxious with that Lyon goal, we need to put the games to bed easier!
Valverde spoke about how it's normal to see tight games and periods where the opponent press, but we surely should try to put out all their hope before they manage to press/come back.

This time it went well, and I guess we could've ended the game earlier with Arthurs chance/pass to Messi etc.. I hope for Porto and if not them then Spurs/Ajax/United.

FinBarcelonafan

Very unnecessary to get us fans anxious with that Lyon goal, we need to put the games to bed easier!
Valverde spoke about how it's normal to see tight games and periods where the opponent press, but we surely should try to put out all their hope before they manage to press/come back.

This time it went well, and I guess we could've ended the game earlier with Arthurs chance/pass to Messi etc.. I hope for Porto and if not them then Spurs/Ajax/United.

True and that's why in the future we need to score away goal/s. Too much up to luck now.

EdmondDantes

Valverde described the first half as 'incredible' both in his post match press conference and post match interview(s).

And I agree. Our first half was stupendous, we should have gone 4 or 5 nil up. Second half, Lyon had 10 minutes of threat after they scored from a corner, then they got desperate and threw everyone forward and we just used Messi and Dembele's speed to kill them off.

Good performance.

---

As for Ajax being our potential rivals, they looked energetic against Real Madrid because the Dutch league moved their league game around so they had time to prepare for the second leg. And Real Madrid had just played 3 games in a week, 2 of them against us. Hence they had zero stamina and Ajax stunned them with their pressing/ fresh legs.

Last edited:

Messi983

The farmers were very much in it, until the 78th minute. I think that Ligue 1 is underrated by the general football-watching public.

They were only in it because we didn't finish them off in first half (or Messi with that chip at the start of the second) and their goal shouldn't stand anyway.

LondonBarca

Be interesting to see who we get in the 1/4 final draw tomorrow - I don't think I'd want Tottenham. I know we beat them in the group stage but this article raises a very good point...http://spursforlife.com/return-home-could-prove-to-be-a-timely-boost/

A return home and it could mean they are much tougher nut to crack next time around. Hopefully the English teams face each other and we don't have to deal with a PL opponent until at least the 1/2 finals.

vinni

Football sometimes is like rock, scissor or paper. Or pokemon (water, fire and grass), if you want.
That said,
lets rank opponents from Barça point of view:

Liverpool rank S
Barça is to Liverpool the same as bulbasaur to charmander. A night in Anfield could be a nightmare.

Juventus rank S
Solid team + Ronaldo
They defeated Barça 3-0 in Turim 2 years ago. Barça squad is better, but they have CR now. They conciliate physicality(Chielini, Ronaldo,...) , goals(Ronaldo) and talent(Pjanic, Dybala). Their game seems static, but it is effective. Srong contender to the title.

City A
City performs very well in premier league, but has had bad nights in cl, similar to Barça. Their style suits Barça well, but this year could be different, who knows.

Tottenham B+
We beat them in group stages (solid performance away from home), but that means nothing, bc ko stage is different.

United B
I havent seen much games from them, but Solskaer effect have been liberating. They dont scare much, but precaution. I think they are same level of difficulty as Chelsea last year in 1/16.

Ajax B ( could be more)
To me, they played the most atractive football in the competition. Their squad isnt exactly City, so it will depend if crucial players are suspended or not. Little changes in teams with less resources have tremendous impact. Lets hope they continue strong.

Porto B
Brahimi, Marega and Danilo are back, but Barça should go through.

Nice post. I agree with everything beside Liverpool. If this liverpool team would have met our team in Lucho`s last year they would have run over us, no doubt about it. We couldnt withstand pressure at all then. I still got nightmares from the matches against celta, athletic and villareal.

Imo, i think Valverde fixed this problem for us. Now we can actually play our way out from the back under massive pressure. With the addition of Arthur we are even better at this aspect.

I think we will beat them. It wont be easy but we will win. Most of my friends are liverpool fans so that would be hilarious haha

Home of Barca Fans