Champions League

Centauri B

That Messi carried us. And they'd be right

:messi:

so much unjustified trust on us, Liverpool is definitely the front runner, PSG if Neymar stays healthy this year can be a real factor. Sorry but I just don't see how a team starting with Pique, Lenglet and Busi can win CL these days with current state of football.

FDJ/Alena/Arthur for our midfield?

Todibo/Umtiti at back?

This supreme fear of Pool, reminds me of the hysteria surrounding Bayern in 13/14. Then Ramos took them to the cleaners.

KingLeo10

Todibo/Umtiti at back?

This supreme fear of Pool, reminds me of the hysteria surrounding Bayern in 13/14. Then Ramos took them to the cleaners.

Pool isn't and won't be at the level of Bayern 12/13 but the level of other competing teams has decreased dramatically as well.

Not sure Real 13/14 is a good example because I would argue that Real side was nearly on par with or as good as Bayern 12/13. They had prime CR7, Ramos, Modric, Marcelo, Benz, Bale, Di Maria (who was WC that season). Ancelotti manager and Zizou assistant.

This is a bit of a lull period in the CL. In reality, Pool's front 3 is a discount MSN and their midfield is hardly anything impressive. Yes, they run their lungs out but world class midfielders wouldn't even let them have the ball. I like their fullbacks and VVD a lot, though.

Andrew M

Pool isn't and won't be at the level of Bayern 12/13 but the level of other competing teams has decreased dramatically as well.

Not sure Real 13/14 is a good example because I would argue that Real side was nearly on par with or as good as Bayern 12/13. They had prime CR7, Ramos, Modric, Marcelo, Benz, Bale, Di Maria (who was WC that season). Ancelotti manager and Zizou assistant.

This is a bit of a lull period in the CL. In reality, Pool's front 3 is a discount MSN and their midfield is hardly anything impressive. Yes, they run their lungs out but world class midfielders wouldn't even let them have the ball. I like their fullbacks and VVD a lot, though.

It's easy to say that about that period in 2014 in hindsight but Bayern were massive favs going into that semi with Madrid

Centauri B

I agree about Pool and therefore they can be beaten, it wouldn't be a shock for me.

FinBarcelonafan

Todibo/Umtiti at back?

I'm sure other teams can best Liverpool. I would bet my money that Real would beat them again.

KingLeo10

I agree about Pool and therefore they can be beaten, it wouldn't be a shock for me.

They can be, for sure. I just don't think we're the team to do it because we don't run as much and there'd be the mental block at Anfield.

I would put my money on someone like Juve taking them out. Juve plays scrappy football, slows the game down. Good forwards in Dybala and Higgy. And there's PR7 with his headers and pens.

I kind of want to see this matchup.

Hardy

Todibo/Umtiti at back?

there are literally zero chance that we are going to play ko stages with that backline. I don't have fear of Liverpool, I just see clear weakness that the strongest teams would easily expose. And trust me, since the manager is the same and the players pretty much the same except de Jong (talking about starters) the fiasco of last seasons for sure left something in the head of our players. Jordi Alba tears al half time of Anfield could be a perfect example of what I mean...

devo901

Bookies:

Man C = 4 , Pool = 5 ,Barca = 7, PSG = 8 ,Juve = 13, Real = 17, Spurs = 26, Atleti = 26, Chelsea = 34, Napoli = 51, RBL = 51 ,
Are they right?

some of the recent results have shown that everyone (Salzburg vs. Pool! twice) can beat any other team, given a good day, and lucky game development. however I do see 3 groups:

top tier:
Pool, PSG, Bayern, Juve,

tier2
Barca, Madrid, city, spurs,

rest:

KingLeo10

some of the recent results have shown that everyone (Salzburg vs. Pool! twice) can beat any other team, given a good day, and lucky game development. however I do see 3 groups:

top tier:
Pool, PSG, Bayern, Juve,

tier2

rest:

Only Pool is top tier. Least weaknesses, many strengths.

One can't seriously put PSG in any top tier given their track record:

12-13: Eliminated by Barca with 1 leg Messi
13-14: Eliminated by Chelsea
14-15: Trashed by Barca
15-16: Lost to a limp City
16-17: Remontada
17-18: Clowned by Madrid
18-19: Lost to United academy kids

Bayern has an interim manager.

Andrew M

top tier:
Pool, PSG, Bayern, Juve,

tier2

rest:

Why would you put Juve and Bayern ahead of us?

devo901

Bayern beat spurs twice - that is OK. They got 18 points out of 18 so they are super consistent - they have young hungry players knabri, gorezka, and notorious scorer like lewa - the mood is good and the trainer ok. I think there is something developing - they might focus less on the buli but on CL as they won buli 15 (7) our of last 20 (7) years!

Juve: they are, compared to us - bad asses - keen/cold - not as, sorry, "wimpy" in tough situations. we might have better characters - but football is to large extend a fight, not a character contest.

as I said in 180 min everything can happen - salburg was giving pool a dangerous fight 2x... it is just my gut feeling...

we on the other hand are OK formwise - but our trainer is not well suited for super tough games as we have learned from the past years. (rome, Liverpool, lost copa final) that takes away confidence - there seems to be no real mental trainer - thats bad ... the way we played and lost in some games does not let me think that we have enough potential to conquer CL .... also our sick bench is also a problem. too many filler. (wague and Jr are ok, but not match winner material)

I wish Messi+Dembele would pose a passing&sprinter duo - like Neymar+Mbappe (against galatasaray) ....but they dont!

Last edited:

Andrew M

Bayern beat spurs twice - that is OK. They got 18 points out of 18 so they are super consistent - they have young hungry players knabri, gorezka, and notorious scorer like lewa - the mood is good and the trainer ok. I think there is something developing - they might focus less on the buli but on CL as they won buli 15 (7) our of last 20 (7) years!

Juve: they are, compared to us - bad asses - keen/cold - not as, sorry, "wimpy" in tough situations. we might have better characters - but football is to large extend a fight, not a character contest.

as I said in 180 min everything can happen - salburg was giving pool a dangerous fight 2x... it is just my gut feeling...

we on the other hand are OK formwise - but our trainer is not well suited for super tough games as we have learned from the past years. (rome, Liverpool, lost copa final) that takes away confidence - there seems to be no real mental trainer - thats bad ... the way we played and lost in some games does not let me think that we have enough potential to conquer CL .... also our sick bench is also a problem. too many filler. (wague and Jr are ok, but not match winner material)

I wish Messi+Dembele would pose a passing&sprinter duo - like Neymar+Mbappe (against galatasaray) ....but they dont!

Beating Spurs twice is not impressive. Tottenham were terrible in both games. Bayern are doing poorly in the Bundesliga and have a very shaky backline. I see no reason to have them ahead of us whatsoever.

Juve are also not particularly impressive at all

Newcomer

top tier:
Pool, PSG, Bayern, Juve,

tier2

rest:
You have not seen PSG play if you think they are top tier.

Bayern has had trouble this season too as evidenced by their league form. They just had an easy group with a poor Tottenham as competitor.

Juve is not that good either but manage to win no matter what.

I would say that Barça and Madrid are "more" top tier than those clubs. Real had a very poor form at the start of the season and PSG capitalized on that by beating them 3-0 but anyone having watched the return leg can see how far better Real are compared to PSG at the moment.

The only hope of PSG is they do have a good keeper this season and they must pray for Neymar health since he is able to carry them on his day.

Sailor Mars

Juve doesn't look good but I Sarri said that he feels the team is not motivated enough for the league and is waiting for CL knockouts(makes sense as they've won like 8 straight league titles and their management has iterated their desire to win the CL).
However, it wouldn't surprise me if they do well despite their ugly play because they have people who can score goals at the right time. Cristiano has been a good finisher in the box. They have CBs like De Ligt who have shown to be good at scoring from set pieces. Add in a bit of Dybala magic and they could shithouse their way to the title.

I haven't watched enough of PSG but I think on paper they have most of the right ingredients. Icardi seems to fit better than Cavani and he is a better finisher. Navas is a huge improvement in goal. And Gueye adds some steel to their midfield.

Home of Barca Fans