Champions League

LMTR14

Damn, you've to say that Real Madrid are extremely fortune to have great scorers in UCL throughout the years.

On the other hand, we've Luis Suárez and his whopping 4 UCL-goals in 23 games since 16/17.

That's not sustainable for any team who aspires to go deep in UCL...

Once Messi is unavailable or having an off-night, it's game over for us.

with this dead team we'll make one more round tops, opponent doesn't matter whatsoever. barca might in fact not win one title this year the way things are. good thing several of the old players hogging starter spots who should be phased out sooner than later got expensive extended contracts, eh...

messi really should pull a ronaldo and switch teams if he wants to add one more cl to his legacy cause barca sure won't get one this year or the next two

Xaviniesta

ajax couldn't finish their chances since they didn't have a real striker on the pitch. but when they subbed in dolberg, an actual striker, he missed two chances he should have put away

let's hope for a huntelaar masterclass in the away leg just like his game for schalke back in 2014 where he almost eliminated madrid

without ramos, i think madrid are going to struggle just like against juve last year, where ramos was absent for the 2nd leg and madrid were down 0-3 and were on the brink of elimination until the last second of the match.

for some reason madrid put in shitty performances at the bernabeu when they win the 1st leg

El Gato

Villarato!
Where`s the explanation of not disallowing a goal from RM after a foul from Vazquez on De Jong?

Thieving cunts.

It’s not in the VAR protocol, can only check offsides or penalty offences. And Tagliafico fouled Vazquez before Ziyech goal.

Leo_Messi

RM being 2.05 to win against this version of Ajax Amsterdam post the Christmas break? That has to be daylight robbery. I won't give them many chances against even this rather mediocre version of RM. Spurs should win at home. Decent odds (2.20) too.

Been killing the bookies lately. A nice little parlay that paid out 4.51 times the stake. Feel asleep in the middle of the first half watching the Ajax-RM game. Did not expect Ajax to get a decent result whatsoever so was not surprised when I woke up and saw the final result. Similarly with the Tottenham-Dortmund as Dortmund were missing way too many players and playing away from home.

Last edited:

Benzema10

Official Lyon representative
it's not about style of play, its winner mentality, never give up attitude and play with their ego... Real madrid never come up with a plan, they adapt to the opponent. they play to win

Leo_Messi

it's not about style of play, its winner mentality, never give up attitude and play with their ego... Real madrid never come up with a plan, they adapt to the opponent. they play to win

No, it's about what BBZ alluded to. It has always been the way RM wins hence why few fans consider any of their successful CL campaigns as spectacular or particularly memorable. Being pragmatic, having zero problems defending with the entire team against inferior opponents if needed, heavy emphasis on counter attacks, flooding the penalty box with crosses and them eventually winning due to having superior players in 99% of all head to head games. Nothing to do with C. Ronaldo although he helped greatly and is the perfect player for such tactics or Zidane. It's been the same case more or less always since I started watching football.

They managed to win the CL playing this way (including their traditional amount of insane luck, referring decisions going their way) during the "Anelka CL win campaign" back in 1999-00 where they ended 5th in the league and were pathetically bad throughout the entire CL campaign (they should have went out against freaking Rosenborg) until they somehow managed to defeat Bayern in the CL-semifinal after being totally outclassed in the group stages against the same opponent and later winning 3-0 against Valencia in the final where Valencia played their worst game of their entire season.

No other team in the CL would have experienced or had the luck that they had against Bayern or Liverpool last season either and the kind of goals that they scored. They have a special "don" in the CL as we say in Spanish and it has been like that for ages.

It is like Italy and Germany. Rarely ever the most spectacular teams individually or even collectively but only second to Brazil anyway with 1 World Cup win fewer. Just how it is. Pragmatic football will always win you more trophies on the long run especially in knockout competitions like the CL and the World Cup.

Similar to us being unable to play pragmatically in the CL and only winning the CL when we are clearly the best team in Europe hence us ALWAYS winning the league and CL at the same time. Something that RM has only done in 3 out of 13 of their European Cup/CL wins. Even those dating back to the 1950's. No need for more proof here to make my point clear.

Last edited:

Morten

No, it's about what BBZ alluded to. It has always been the way RM wins hence why few fans consider any of their successful CL campaigns as spectacular or particularly memorable. Being pragmatic, having zero problems defending with the entire team against inferior opponents if needed, heavy emphasis on counter attacks, flooding the penalty box with crosses and them eventually winning due to having superior players in 99% of all head to head games. Nothing to do with C. Ronaldo although he helped greatly and is the perfect player for such tactics or Zidane. It's been the same case more or less always since I started watching football.

They managed to win the CL playing this way (including their traditional amount of insane luck, referring decisions going their way) during the "Anelka CL win campaign" back in 1999-00 where they ended 5th in the league and were pathetically bad throughout the entire CL campaign (they should have went out against freaking Rosenborg) until they somehow managed to defeat Bayern in the CL-semifinal after being totally outclassed in the group stages against the same opponent and later winning 3-0 against Valencia in the final where Valencia played their worst game of their entire season.

No other team in the CL would have experienced or had the luck that they had against Bayern or Liverpool last season either and the kind of goals that they scored. They have a special "don" in the CL as we say in Spanish and it has been like that for ages.

It is like Italy and Germany. Rarely ever the most spectacular teams individually or even collectively but only second to Brazil anyway with 1 World Cup win fewer. Just how it is.

Similar to us being unable to play pragmatically in the CL and only winning the CL when we are clearly the best team in Europe hence us ALWAYS winning the league and CL at the same time. Something that RM has only done in 3 out of 13 of their CL wins. Even those dating back to the 1950's. No need for more proof here to make my point clear.

We did a fair few CLs without playing great, having lucky moments, but come on, none of our CL-campaigns have been "spectacular" or "Memorable"?
13/14 we were scoring for fun, and who can forget that we trashed Bayern, who at the time appeared to be the best side in the world? It was a very memorable fixture.
Atletico was/is an incredibly defensive side, so the final was very close.
16/17, we basically ran over every team, incuding a Juventus-side that basically didnt concede goals, Bayern at home being the exception, fair enough, ref must have been high.

So, 2 out of 4 CL-wins were indeed high quality, in my opinion.

And hey, dont go trash-talking RBK, best club in the world ;)

Leo_Messi

We did a fair few CLs without playing great, having lucky moments, but come on, none of our CL-campaigns have been "spectacular" or "Memorable"?
13/14 we were scoring for fun, and who can forget that we trashed Bayern, who at the time appeared to be the best side in the world? It was a very memorable fixture.
Atletico was/is an incredibly defensive side, so the final was very close.
16/17, we basically ran over every team, incuding a Juventus-side that basically didnt concede goals, Bayern at home being the exception, fair enough, ref must have been high.

So, 2 out of 4 CL-wins were indeed high quality, in my opinion.

And hey, dont go trash-talking RBK, best club in the world ;)

You are too quick there. I was speaking in general terms. You don't expect me to give a summary of all of your 13 European Cup/Champions League winning campaigns, when not having watched 6 of them at all, do you?:lol:

My description is pretty spot on. Most Spanish RM fans (the non-biased lot) will agree. I doubt that you can argue against my description of RM's tactics (overall) in the past 20 years of playing in the CL. Or the stats that I wrote about (only in 3 out of the 13 European Cup/CL wins, have RM won the league title in the same season as well).

As for spectacular and memorable I was talking about leaving a legacy and being talked about. Other than the 2013-14 campaign (mostly due to demolishing Bayern in the return leg of the semifinals only) and the 2016-17 CL campaign, I struggle to rate any of your wins as specially memorable or spectacular. I don't think that such an opinion is very controversial at all.

No trashing. Not sure if you were alive back then (1999-00 season) but Rosenborg should have eliminated RM in that 0-1 loss in the final group game match. Back when there were 2 group stages in the CL.

Last edited:

Morten

As for our average campaigns, i`will take those CL-trophies even if it was boring for the neutrals, thank you very much.

Leo_Messi

As for our average campaigns, i`will take those CL-trophies even if it was boring for the neutrals, thank you very much.

What a surprise. I expected something completely different. My points flew right across your head, it seems.

BTW how many of those 7 recent RM CL-wins did you watch? Let me guess, the last 4, only? Will take your silence as a yes.

Home of Barca Fans