Champions League Final 2009: FC Barcelona vs ManUtd: Champions of Europe!

B

beautifulgame

Pique can send excellent long balls. I know how to break down Man U; somebody get a hold of Pep for me.

Canto

Johan Dalin part II
You're ignoring my question.

What would you have done against that Chelsea? There is no possibility of playing a counter attack or going into defensive mode if they only stay at their own half.

thing is mate we have to put up with that sort of game in MOST games bar the top 4 or 5 teams who will have a go at us! but we always find a way to break them down in the end ..hence all our 1-0s this season :)

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

What would you have done against that Chelsea? There is no possibility of playing a counter attack or going into defensive mode if they only stay at their own half.

That's also true! Funny game that would be to watch, Man U and Chelsea both staying at their own half :lol: I mean come on, why risk it. It's the CL semifinals and who would want to concede a goal :lol:

United

I've answered your question. Chelsea will not play like that against us. If they did play, we would try playing long balls into the box. That may or may not work for us, but the thing is we do try something different whereas Barcelona don't.

Warik

They'd of done what we tried to do, get it wide and whip in crosses but they'd of been more successful than us. It just so happened that Alves wasn't so much whipping them in (like he can do and did consistantly for Sevilla) but kind of skying them and otherwise miskicking them. Not that it mattered when Alves did put balls in as we don't get anyone in there anyway. We lack height in numbers when we play our best XI...especially height up top, which is why I am actually against the Villa and Ribery signings, as I think even if we get them we are solving nothing.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
thing is mate we have to put up with that sort of game in MOST games bar the top 4 or 5 teams who will have a go at us! but we always find a way to break them down in the end ..hence all our 1-0s this season :)
We also find a lot of defensive teams and we still finish games with more than 1-0. We tear down any wall from la liga till champions league QF.

But those teams are not Chelsea. Chelsea's defense is pretty rock solid. That is my question. You said your team had a plan B. Well, let's hear it. What could you possibly have done against that chelsea?

only option i see is long balls and we all now Chelsea's power, right?
Set pieces then? also relying on good luck imo as Ronaldo fires the balls on goal more than he shoots on goal

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
i think he is one of the most determined players in the world today and showed abit of passion yesterday about been taken off wich can be a plus i don't condone what he did though it wasn't the way to react and i agree he should have trusted Fergie and realized he was coming off to rest for the game at Wigan on Wednesday

im not sure its almost impossible to predict Fergies team these days but i think it will be either one of these teams

------------------------------VDS----------------------------------

O'Shea---------------Rio--------------Vidic-------------------Evra--

-----------------Anderson--------Carrick------------Giggs/Scholes---

-----Ronaldo----------------------------------------------Rooney

--------------------------Berbatov/Tevez------------------------

or else

same back four and midfield expect

---Park------------Rooney

---------Ronaldo----------

I think he will play Park cause' of his work rate in the defense as well as his speed in the counter attacks. Btw, besides Rooney and Ronaldo I really think that Scholes is a top notch. But Berbatov is slow and - how should I put it - not Man U material. He will do us no harm :grin: "he comes in peace" :grin:

Canto

Johan Dalin part II
I think he will play Park cause' of his work rate in the defense as well as his speed in the counter attacks. Btw, besides Rooney and Ronaldo I really think that Scholes is a top notch. But Berbatov is slow and - how should I put it - not Man U material. He will do us no harm :grin: "he comes in peace" :grin:

Yeah i think so too i think he will ask both Park and Rooney to tack back to cut out the ball that could end up going to Inistia and Messi and also get Ando to try and cut out the supply of ball to Xavi!

Scholes is very similar to Inestia IMO oth on and off the pitch there both gods;) :beer2:
as for Berbatov i rate him highly TBH he might not be fast but its the other stuff in his game that i love about him his touch is out of this world and he also has great vision and some great skill too! he may not be of the Eto'o Benzeema Villa Torres etc but i still think he is a class act :cool:

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
They'd of done what we tried to do, get it wide and whip in crosses but they'd of been more successful than us. It just so happened that Alves wasn't so much whipping them in (like he can do and did consistantly for Sevilla) but kind of skying them and otherwise miskicking them. Not that it mattered when Alves did put balls in as we don't get anyone in there anyway. We lack height in numbers when we play our best XI...especially height up top, which is why I am actually against the Villa and Ribery signings, as I think even if we get them we are solving nothing.

I don't agree. I think that Peps tactics are good, he just has to refine it a little bit. Passing even faster and changing sides more often. Ribery is a different player from Henry and he will open up a new dimension on the right side. Nobody says that CL is easy, we're in the finals with the style and tactics that we have and I hold us as favourits (if Henry is playing, otherwise it's 50/50). The loss of Alves is a big blow, but maybe for the best that we will play a more defensive minded RB?

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
yeah, and play syvinho as the offensive minded back.
o'shea is the weak point in united's defence. so they probably go chelsea on us. certainly because evra is playing really bad recently

United

Yeah i think so too i think he will ask both Park and Rooney to tack back to cut out the ball that could end up going to Inistia and Messi and also get Ando to try and cut out the supply of ball to Xavi!

Scholes is very similar to Inestia IMO oth on and off the pitch there both gods;) :beer2:
as for Berbatov i rate him highly TBH he might not be fast but its the other stuff in his game that i love about him his touch is out of this world and he also has great vision and some great skill too! he may not be of the Eto'o Benzeema Villa Torres etc but i still think he is a class act :cool:

Scholes was Canto. Actually Scholes was more similar to Xavi than Iniesta.

United

o'shea is the weak point in united's defence. so they probably go chelsea on us. certainly because evra is playing really bad recently

Evra has upped his game at the right moment. He was brilliant against Arsenal in both legs. The speedy Walcott went AWOL in both games. He was also good against City.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

I sure hope so. If Man U does a Chealse on us, we don't even have to bother that we don't have Abidal or Alves since they won't attack?! But I'm sure that Man U will attack much more than Chelsea. They are not only a team in the defense, but also very good in the offensive. Good passing, nice combinations, good vision and they can just like us find eachother all over the pitch.

United

I don't think we'll do a Chelsea on you guys. Although we might be defense minded, we would build up a few attacking moves too. We'll probably use the pace of Rooney and Ronaldo in the counters against Barca.

This is my predicted lineup for Barca

composition-9.php

If Barca do play with this lineup, Toure, Pique and especially Sylvinho would be would struggle against pace.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans