Champions League: FC Barcelona - APOEL Nicosia 1-0

dakt

Too much rotation??? If our regulars had better individual performances today (Messi, Neymar, Xavi, etc.) then this would've easily been a blowout. The youngsters and rotation didn't weigh things down if anything the diffusion of chances was given perfectly today to keep the team fresh. The objective isn't just to get flashy 5/6 goal wins against minnows, it's to build consistency and get the team improving game by game. Rotation is very important towards that and will serve us better in the 2nd half of the season. We have a big squad and plenty of capable/awesome players. Busquet's and Masch's deputy proved that today with a MOTM performance on his debut.

I don't think that youth should be gaining experience by playing from the first minute in CL. Easier opponent? Make 2,3 goal advantage and in later minutes bring in younger players.

F

Flavia

I don't think that youth should be gaining experience by playing from the first minute in CL. Easier opponent? Make 2,3 goal advantage and in later minutes bring in younger players.

The forward line wasn't rotated. Defense was solid. The midfield lacked Rakitic, but Samper starting wasn't the problem for the lack of goals. If anything, Samper's performance was the best answer.

dakt

Busi, Rakitic and Iniesta should have started from the first minute. From the youth, Bartra and Munir (and they did). Later, Samper and Sandro.

EDIT: and why not Rakitic? It's not like he's in Barca for ages. He needs to play as much as possible given the role assigned to him. Especially in games like this, I expect from him to make a difference, either by playmaking or shooting from outside the box.

Last edited:

gatsu

Well from the start i wasn't expecting a great performance knowing that Nicosie will park the bus, but that does not explain everything, Adriano and Alves especially the first one were very average, and the midfield showed no creativity, there was a lack of imagination and no risk taken.
our game was very static and predictable, thus Apoel didn't have much trouble to defend.

Except for Samper our youth are really overrated, Sergi and Rafinha were calamitous

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Busi, Rakitic and Iniesta should have started from the first minute. From the youth, Bartra and Munir (and they did). Later, Samper and Sandro.

EDIT: and why not Rakitic? It's not like he's in Barca for ages. He needs to play as much as possible given the role assigned to him. Especially in games like this, I expect from him to make a difference, either by playmaking or shooting from outside the box.
Because there are a lot of difficult away games coming in the next weeks. Rakitic got a good needed rest.

Sid90

That's no surprise...

Are you from the maribor city in Slovenia??...anyways it better to have 12,000 fans who make noise than to have 75,000 deadbeats who just stay quiet and it felt they were in attending a funeral instead of a football match.

barca1899

Are you from the maribor city in Slovenia??...anyways it better to have 12,000 fans who make noise than to have 75,000 deadbeats who just stay quiet and it felt they were in attending a funeral instead of a football match.

Yep, I am.

Last edited:

barcanuck

The lineup set up the chance for a low scoring game but we won and got a clean sheet so we move on and the kids got experience and regulars got rest.

TBH, this is the kinda game that people complain about tiki-taka being boring. It really was boring. Passing just for passing, lack of creativity and ideas which forces Messi to drop back too much where he obviously isn't as effective as we don't don't have another killer at top. Perhaps when Suarez joins the lineup Messi will be able to drop back and create but now isn't the time. I get rotations are good for our team in the long run but why must you do 5 in one game! GRR, reminds of Tata doing the same crap last year, look how that turned out, losing points where we should't have. I know we got the 3 points but winning this group might come down goal differential and on paper this was our easiest game of the group stages therefore should won by 3+. I blame Lucho. At least Ajax-PSG was a draw.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Missed the game but I gather that we didn't look bad because of youngsters starting.
Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Neymar were there and that ought to suffice. Problem was probably just lack od motivation.

Richard.H

Calm the hell down people. This was luchos first real test with a parked bus. Its a great experience for him when we have to face chelshit or atletico

Kerrybai

Lacked creativity and precision... too may misplaced passes and too slow on the ball. Nothing to worry about this early in the season though.

Irish_Cules

Not a great performance. Our forward line just wasnt at it tonight. Neymar was the best and he wasn't even that good. Most things Messi tried didn't come off and Munir was anonymous bar one or two moments.

Overall, we got the three points and it was good for the youngsters to get a run out. Samper looked so composed out there. Lucho took a big risk today though. Apoel had a couple of counter attacks that could have easily resulted in a goal if they showed a bit more composure in the final third.

Home of Barca Fans