Champions League 2017/18

serghei

So petty. Discounting Dortmund based off THREE injuries (Lewa, Hummels, Schmelzer) while they had everybody else.. I assume we're naturally ignoring the status of perennial European losers like Arsenal or PSG who you played fuck knows how many times since 2010 at any stage? Unless of course we are under the convenient assumption it's all relative and that drawing average or perennial loser teams is considered so much tougher than Spurs or handicapped Dortmund. Because PSG will give you a game! Lol.

That's nothing petty about it. Probably every fan base on every forum has beeen noticing that Madrid have been playing EL level teams quite often in the QF. Had an entire CL campaign in 2016 where they purely played the easier teams, while the great ones knocked each other out.

Last edited:

serghei

I don't think Barca are playing the most aesthetically superior football in Europe since the beginning of Tata's season (that's 5 years in total) besides a few spells in second half 14/15 and first half 15/16. City have been far superior aesthetically to Barca this season, and Napoli are up there too over the past couple of seasons.

Barca peaked in aesthetics under Ronaldinho and Pep, otherwise there have been other teams who have matched and/or been superior since the turn of the millenium (I've no clue about teams before that).

Also btw, with Messi you can make (and have been making) strong inroads on RM's La Liga trophy haul. CL though is a long way away and RM are the undisputed kings of that competition.

Hence my criticism when Valverde goes outside our style and plays defensive at home vs Atletico to get a result, drawing the appreciation of an ultra-defensive manager like Simeone. That's not the way forward for us.

So if Rm win another 10 cl and we win 2 a esthetically you will be happy?

The difference is not that big. Half of Madrid's trophies have been won before the format change. I think it's something like 6-4 for them since 1993.

Last edited:

dakt

This psg side is stronger then last year when they beat barca 4:0 in paris, thing is we could read comments before this tie how zidane is a luck merchant and how its over with that, how cr7 is finished, but he scored today again important goal, and how psg is top contender for CL title

Cant you wait at least when real go out of CL with that comments? Fact is, zidane is great tournament coach with great squad, they have mental edge over everyone in this competition, today zidane left modric and kroos on the bench, thats some confidence, they just cant get embaressed in this ompetition like barca can, even if they play like shit they cant lose with 3:0, or 4:0 results, they have great formula for CL and barca should copy that, nothing wrong in that

Agreed.

gatsu

We have an exhausted team and our important players were overplayed. We'll probably have more injuries by next round. Fatigue will be our downfall in the Champions League.

I'm more confident against Real than any team remaining in CL. Although they repeated CL we still have the mental edge over them. Or to be more precise Messi is a source of great fear for them.

BBZ8800

Yea, for me our game is aesthetically superior. Actually that would be Barcelona's place in world football, the no1 edge that we have over all other teams. Our way of playing is our biggest brand. That is great influence over football, to have a world famous way of playing that others are trying to copy.

We're not as big as Madrid trophy-wise (doubt we'll ever be), and our biggest asset is not the number of titles we win, but how we play. Which is why I don't agree that everything should be sacrificed in order to stop Madrid from winning I don't know what, because we're different than Madrid and we should not try to copy them. The moment we'll lose what people still perceive as the Barca style, we'll lose our greatest asset imo.

Sorry mate, this is some Arsenal-level post, sorry for harsh words.

So, what is the future alibi on our forum in upcoming years?
Madrid won 3 CLs in a row.
But hey, we play more beautiful and more pleasing for the eye...

Come on... :lol:

So, they'll get a medal for winning a CL.
And we'll get a medal for playing the most beautiful?

Isn't that a medal which Arsenal is winning for 15 years in a row in EPL?
... while everyone else is actually winning EPL titles?

Last edited:

vlad

Talking about beautiful football, like real madrid is playing some ugly unwatchable football, and barca is above them, not the case for me, real madrid football on top level is often great to watch, very dinamic and far from boring, bayern same thing, barca played most beautiful football when they had once in the lifetime generation, after that its just trying hard to copy that, which failed when it comes to CL succes, and im not talking about trophy only, i think on showed performances.

Barca under lucho during treble season played more like real madrid or bayern then like barca during pep days

Edit: under rijkaard barca wasnt much above other teams when it comes to beauty, it was about ronaldinho

Last edited:

Zincubus

Banned
How can so many people get flares into the stadium in this day and age? This is ridiculous. The people responsible for security in this game need to find another career.

Crazy thing was when PSG scored and gave themselves a chance to get back into the game their own supporters set off flares that hampered their own team !!

Zincubus

Banned
We have an exhausted team and our important players were overplayed. We'll probably have more injuries by next round. Fatigue will be our downfall in the Champions League.

I'd suggest that Real's team from last night would run us into the ground ... they looked to have a very fast midfield whereas we'd have Iniesta / Busqs / Rakitic ( slowest player in the whole squad - fact) .

gatsu

I'd suggest that Real's team from last night would run us into the ground ... they looked to have a very fast midfield whereas we'd have Iniesta / Busqs / Rakitic ( slowest player in the whole squad - fact) .

They can't play with the same midfield against as they were leaving enormous spaces to exploit. Against yesterday madrid We would win with large margin

serghei

Sorry mate, this is some Arsenal-level post, sorry for harsh words.

So, what is the future alibi on our forum in upcoming years?
Madrid won 3 CLs in a row.
But hey, we play more beautiful and more pleasing for the eye...

Come on... :lol:

So, they'll get a medal for winning a CL.
And we'll get a medal for playing the most beautiful?

Isn't that a medal which Arsenal is winning for 15 years in a row in EPL?
... while everyone else is actually winning EPL titles?

Did you just compare Barca with Arsenal?

Man, Barca still fights for trophies and wins the big ones almost every year.

2015 - Treble
2016 - Domestic double
2017 - Copa
2018 - Treble/Domestic double/La Liga.

Barca is about winning and about playing their distinct brand of football, as in both at the same time, not one or the other. And we've done that superbly well in the last 2 decades.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans