Best position for Messi

Were woud you use Messi?

• Total voters

spark

Every goal they scored in qualifying. They have a good balance, capable of patient goals but probably nothing is more scary than those 4 players running towards three defenders at pace after a quick transition.

JamDav1982

The difference is while Argentina have a devastating counter it isn't they're only or primary weapon, they actually want to possess the ball and play the pass, as opposed to Madrid who want to counter above all else.

Argentina obviously does not have the midfield to possess and pass around the ball like Barcelona, but they want to play this way.

The counter attack is their primary weapon and it is when they are at their best and is something they will look to do as often as possible.

It is their main strength and they will try to do it through the front four as often as they can.

Simple question - do you think they look to counter first and is it their main strength?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
The counter attack is their primary weapon and it is when they are at their best and is something they will look to do as often as possible.

It is their main strength and they will try to do it through the front four as often as they can.

Simple question - do you think they look to counter first and is it their main strength?

They have balance, they look to counter when it is to their advantage, look to create the scoring when they cannot. That they can't control the ball like Barcelona because they just don't have the midfield means they have more counter opportunities, but if given the chance, they want to play possession passing football.

JamDav1982

They have balance, they look to counter when it is to their advantage, look to create the scoring when they cannot. That they can't control the ball like Barcelona because they just don't have the midfield means they have more counter opportunities, but if given the chance, they want to play possession passing football.

They almost always look to attack at pace through the front four when they win the ball. Possession football is their second option if the break is not on. Which is like Madrid and not Barca.

Look at the video posted on it and the goals scored.

Vast majority of goals scored are how I described as front four breaking at pace with the other players nowhere to be seen. That is their tactics and how they choose to attack when its on.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
They almost always look to attack at pace through the front four when they win the ball. Possession football is their second option if the break is not on. Which is like Madrid and not Barca.

Look at the video posted on it and the goals scored.

Vast majority of goals scored are how I described as front four breaking at pace with the other players nowhere to be seen. That is their tactics and how they choose to attack when its on.

Again, the exploit the counter but they want to play possession. They want to play with the ball to involve Messi more, they cannot control it like Barcelona so they have more counter opportunities, but they are not a "sit back and hit you on the counter" team, they very much want to pass it around.

JamDav1982

Again, the exploit the counter but they want to play possession. They want to play with the ball to involve Messi more, they cannot control it like Barcelona so they have more counter opportunities, but they are not a "sit back and hit you on the counter" team, they very much want to pass it around.

They dont want to play possession, they want to play on the break. It has been their main tactic.

All teams that play counter attacking football look to 'exploit the counter' first. Teams that favour possession football play nothing like Argentina. They will look to dominate the ball and move up and down the pitch as a unit, getting full backs forward etc.

The video clearly shows how Argentina play and what their favoured approach to breaking teams down is and it is not possession football.

That video matches exactly how I described their play.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
They dont want to play possession, they want to play on the break. It has been their main tactic.

All teams that play counter attacking football look to 'exploit the counter' first. Teams that favour possession football play nothing like Argentina. They will look to dominate the ball and move up and down the pitch as a unit, getting full backs forward etc.

The video clearly shows how Argentina play and what their favoured approach to breaking teams down is and it is not possession football.

That video matches exactly how I described their play.

It seems like for you, you either play like Barcelona, or you play counter. There's no middle ground.

Argentina certainly counter when they recuperate the ball in space, but they also move forward as a unit and send fullbacks forward. If you say the contrary, then you're just watching youtube goals highlights and not watching actual games.

That video means shit all. That's the equivalent of less than 5% of the total minutes played by the team in qualifiers, that you can get a picture of how the team plays from that video shows why you're so confused.

On top of that, that video certainly shows goals on counters, but also goals from combined play as well as goals from ball recuperation out of pressing.

JamDav1982

It seems like for you, you either play like Barcelona, or you play counter. There's no middle ground.

Argentina certainly counter when they recuperate the ball in space, but they also move forward as a unit and send fullbacks forward. If you say the contrary, then you're just watching youtube goals highlights and not watching actual games.

That video means shit all. That's the equivalent of less than 5% of the total minutes played by the team in qualifiers, that you can get a picture of how the team plays from that video shows why you're so confused.

On top of that, that video certainly shows goals on counters, but also goals from combined play as well as goals from ball recuperation out of pressing.

I watched every single Argentina qualifier and formed opinions of how they play on that.

That video shows 'shit all'.... no it shows the attacking approach of the Argentina team and it is as I described it and nothing like Barcelona or a possession game.

All top teams can play with ball and on the counter and do so when the situation arises. Some favour either the counter or possession and clearly Argentina favour the counter and it is the style that has brought them the most joy.

To suggest they play possession football like Barca is laughable. They couldnt and dont try to as a first choice.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I watched every single Argentina qualifier and formed opinions of how they play on that.

That video shows 'shit all'.... no it shows the attacking approach of the Argentina team and it is as I described it and nothing like Barcelona or a possession game.

All top teams can play with ball and on the counter and do so when the situation arises. Some favour either the counter or possession and clearly Argentina favour the counter and it is the style that has brought them the most joy.

To suggest they play possession football like Barca is laughable. They couldnt and dont try to as a first choice.

What's laughable is that you seem to insist a team cannot both counter and play possession ball. If you've truly watched Argentina as much as you claim, you would know they can and do try to possess and pass the ball to create

I also did not say they play like Barcelona, I said they played a style similar to the Barcelona of Pep's first year when the team was more direct and employed plenty of counters.

As for the video, even if it had 100% counters, which it doesn't, that video equates less than 5% of Argentina's total minutes in qualifiers. If less than 5% of the team's play is enough for you to formulate an opinion of a team, then so be it.

I really don't want to continue to argue the same thing over and over. We disagree, let's just end it.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Argentina play much more like Madrid than Barca, I don't think it's even debatable. The way they defend, keep the ball and attack are all reminiscent of Madrid this season, insofar that Di Maria has the exact same position and responsibilities in both teams.

Are you saying Real Madrid are a "sit back and hit you on the counter" team?

Last edited:

Kohe321

I really think that the idea of playing him behind a striker is very interesting. It would ease the problem of him being met by a wall of markers if someone else could pull some defenders and make room. This can of course be done in a false 9 system as well with two wingers that can drift inside and link up (with help from the backs and midfielders), but for this to work the tactics and the system needs to be way more finely tuned and refined than the one we're playing now.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Seriously though, he should be given complete freedom, he doesn't really have that anymore. Put a striker in front of him or a winger who moves to central position, but the purpose of that is to give Messi space. And he should be allowed to go wherever the space opens up.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Wherever he wants to play, i.e PSG.

How about here?

8410577188_1de168b444_z.jpg

With a can of soda in his hand, obviously...

Home of Barca Fans