Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nemanja Vidic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters
W

woobie

Unfortunately, Cesc is apparently on Capri this weekend, sunning on the beach (according to his twitter).

And Nesta for me too.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
This all depends on how you view the topic... Trophywise combined with performances Puyol would be top, but I don't believe that the most successful top defender should always deserve to be called the best. A player can be magnificent in a team that hasn't had the most success and still deserves to be recognized as much as a player in a more successful team.

Lol @ Lucio, he's only been truly good for about 2 years in the decade.

So anyway, people can bitch Ayala and some other players aren't there, and fair enough, but easily the best defender of the decade is at the top of the list. Nesta, purely on ability he is far above anybody there, and despite his injury problems at times he's still been the best when he's played. I'll put Puyol 2nd, and probably Cannavaro 3rd.

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
Lucio hasn't been the best for sure, but you cant say that he has been good for 2 seasons, lol @ that...

Have you watched Bundesliga? One of my best friends is hard core bayern fan, and i watched almost every bayern game with him, and i have always respected lucio as one of the best defenders in the world... Last year, he had one of his best seasons for sure, but he has been great in his bayern days too... The only problem he has is that he tends to go forward too often, and with that he leaves too much open space behinf him.. Oh well, you rate pique as best defender atm, and he tends to do the same, so...

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I have always thought of him as overrated before he moved to Inter tbh. I've always much prefered Juan for Brazil. And I don't rate Pique as the best right now(to be honest I don't think anyone is outstanding atm), I said I think he will end up as the best, but he hasn't been good long enough to be called the best CB. Also, I never said I don't like Lucio cause of his tendency to get forward...

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
I said that as his main weakness ;) And i dont think he has ever been overrated mate... And he is better than Juan believe me, Juan is great defender, but he has brainfarts too often... I agree about the rest you said though.

As for pique, i just said him as example, i have seen at least 20 people at this forum who rate him as the best :)

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Sorry but I don't jump the gun after 2 seasons of good performances from a player. Plus I'm not a Cule, I'm sure if I was I'd think he's the best hands down. I think another year will probably convince me he's the best, but 2 years isn't enough to prove anything to me.

Btw I'm not trying to be rude or condescending or anything, in case you see me as trying to be that way. :lol:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
there are three answers to the main poll question:

for best ability you go with Alessandro Nesta. who when he was on, was unplayable. I mean absolutely phenomenal. dude just made defending look like a stroll, but he could also be an action-man CB if he needed to. his performances vs. us in the 2006 CL SF and united in the 2007 CL SF just made my head explode with defensive magnificence. but he's had a few years of injury-plagued awfulness, especially in the latter half of the decade.

for the best consistency, you go with Rio Ferdinand. he's had a lot of injuries basically in the last year, but in the 9 previous ones he was an utterly magnificent defender. he was never as good as Nesta individually, and for the most part he played with much worse team-mates (when United got him a CB partner near his level they tea-bagged the hell out of europe) but until that back issue he was 8/10 minimum every single week. now he's over the back problem you can see the effect his return has on united.

for the best success, you go with Carles Puyol. while Nesta was the most skilled defender and Rio the most consistent, neither has had the all-encompassing success that Puyol has managed. Nesta has 2 CL's, like Puyol, however he lacks the international pedigree that our Captain brings to the frame. Puyol was a central CB in 2 CL's, 3 lligas, 1 copa, a european championship AND a world cup. he's performed to an incredibly high standard in the biggest of big matches for club and country, and if oleguer could mark at set-pieces his teams wouldn't have conceded a single goal in the 4 major finals they played in.

Lucio is basically runner-up in the last two categories, so deserves an honourable mention at least.

Where is Ayala?

the decade didn't end in 2006.

Home of Barca Fans