Barca Transfers and Rumors

malvolio

God damn.. we picked the exact same players right there. Not so difficult it seems.
What do you think about their players I mentioned above?

hmm, let's see:

VVD - yes
Alisson - maybe. don't know how good he is with his feet. but based on other aspects - yes
Mané - yes, we need a good left winger
Firmino - his link-up play says yes. but griezmann is better than him and an in-form suarez would be better for our team.
Salah - overall yes. instead of messi? hell NO!
Arnold - yes because semedo hasn't confirmed 100% yet
Robertson - better to have a motivated alba since he is a better fit for our team(messi connection included)
Fabinho - for me he is meh. don't see him as being that good.

JohnN

hmm, let's see:

VVD - yes
Alisson - maybe. don't know how good he is with his feet. but based on other aspects - yes
Mané - yes, we need a good left winger
Firmino - his link-up play says yes. but griezmann is better than him and an in-form suarez would be better for our team.
Salah - overall yes. instead of messi? hell NO!
Arnold - yes because semedo hasn't confirmed 100% yet
Robertson - better to have a motivated alba since he is a better fit for our team(messi connection included)
Fabinho - for me he is meh. don't see him as being that good.

I really like Salah, but choosing him over Messi, no way, I agree with you.

The players that would elevate us one level above are VVD and Mané.

Danny Ocean

The players that would elevate us one level above are VVD and Mané.
Absolutely. Those two are absolute studs and they are the exact type of player profile this Barca is missing.

ASordidGod

Tbh it seems like the initial point, or at least as I interpreted it, is getting twisted. Originally the question was simply who had the better squad in the abstract, and now it seems to be which of our players would suit Liverpool's very specific set up, which broadly speaking is to bypass midfield and cross with their fullbacks. Two very different discussions. But for what it's worth I believe our squad to be superior on paper, comfortably so, and that Messi elevates any team in the world, and to suggest that Salah is superior is absurd, regardless of the system.

FC B

we can go into more detail about the subject. while klopp is a better manager than valverde, he certainly got the right setup/players for his favored play style.

it would not be inconceivable to put klopp on our bench, with the players that we currently have and results not to change much(win liga/cup, but fail in UCL). we surely would play a more attractive football. but i think he would have to make some personnel changes in order to implement his system and win it all.

same could go if you put pep on liverpool's bench. they would be shite.

regardless, we currently have a world class squad(maybe the best in the world) and should win all trophies, while playing some good football.

No, as was proven time and again the manager is essential to the squad since a poor manager like Valverde can make great players look like absolute amateurs (Liverpool away game for instance) and good, normal, even mediocre players can look like monsters on the pitch with a proper manager, leader and tactician, Klopp's case, ofc.

So it's not the individual quality of the players that make a team the best out there but rather the quality of the team istelf, it's a team sport where the force of the group is of the essence, not the individual quailty alone.

Last edited:

malvolio

No, as was proven time and again the manager is essential to the squad since a poor manager like Valverde can make great players look like absolute amateurs (Liverpool away game for instance) and good, normal, even mediocre players can look like monsters on the pitch with a proper manager, leader and tactician, Klopp's case, ofc.

So it's not the individual quality of the players that make a team the best out there but rather the quality of the team istelf, it's a team sport where the force of the group is of the essence, not the individual quailty alone.

i haven't said otherwise. we should be winning it all, if we would have a good coach.

FC B

The players that would elevate us one level above are VVD and Mané

But don't forget the essence, they would be great for Barca only if they'd perform here like they do for Liverpool but if they'd make a Coutinho?

FC B

i haven't said otherwise. we should be winning it all, if we would have a good coach.

No but you stated regardless, we currently have a world class squad(maybe the best in the world) and should win all trophies

World class squads are quite a few besides Barca, that alone is not enough to win all trophies or to win more. We need a team with cohesion, vision, ambition and tactics in addition to individual value and in order to have that we need a proper management team and a world class coach too which we both lack dearly. That's why we won only one CL in 8 years...

malvolio

No but you stated regardless, we currently have a world class squad(maybe the best in the world) and should win all trophies

World class squads are quite a few besides Barca, that alone is not enough to win all trophies or to win more. We need a team with cohesion, vision, ambition and tactics in addition to individual value and in order to have that we need a proper management team and a world class coach too which we both lack dearly. That's why we won only one CL in 8 years...

Forgot to add the good coach part in the initial post

FC B

Mad to think they got Salah and Mane for about 40m each.

Smart shopping by the manager and the scouting team. Liverpool isn't buying players to suit the directors of the club but the players the manager asks for. And he knows what to do with them in orther for them to shine.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
But on the other hand they've paid 70M for Alisson while we got MATS for 12M.

Doesn't work that way. They signed Salah and Mane when the transfer fees for such players was already very high. Had we signed ter Stegen last year he would cost 60m+ easily.

Then again, neither Salah or Mane were thought as World Class players with great potential when they were signed. Having Klopp helps a lot too compared to the bang average guy we have.

Messi983

Doesn't work that way. They signed Salah and Mane when the transfer fees for such players was already very high. Had we signed ter Stegen last year he would cost 60m+ easily.

Then again, neither Salah or Mane were thought as World Class players with great potential when they were signed. Having Klopp helps a lot too compared to the bang average guy we have.

I know. Was just saying that you have to look at other positions too. We made some pretty good cheap buys in the past but people forget about them and only remember our flops.

Home of Barca Fans