Barca Transfers and Rumors

mia7007

I would be happy to sign DiMaria just in case this will make Messi happy and for a max of 40-50m
In all cases he is still a good player while I hate him

mia7007

Someone on this forum said that African players don't count as non-EU in La Liga, no idea if it's true.
Makes sense assuming the board is aware of 3 non EU rule
But in all cases I see this should be the last season got Masche, we should have our defence of Pique, Umtiti, Mina, Marlon and may be Inigo

Judoman

What do you know about Di María to express yourself in such terms? I have followed the player for over ten years. Have you? I know what he is capable of doing and what he is not. I believe I can speak with some authority, after 10 years. In addition, all experts and commentators on TV agree with me and not with you.

Di Maria did not stumble into the third rated team in the world just this year. He was a member of the Argentine U-20, Olympic, and main team for over 10 years! Yes, we did not win the WC, eventhcugh we came very close. We won the U-20 WC 6 times and the Olympic gold medal twice in a row. Di María was a member of the U-20 WC and the Olympic Gold Medal team as well as being an unquestionable member of the main team under 5 or so coaches. To make it to these teams is not that easy.

Everyone here are dying for Dembélé, Siri, Mbape, etc. They are not Iniesta, Coutinho, or Xavi - not even close. They play at one speed going forward. They cannot stop to survey what is taking place on the pitch like Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Neymar, or even Coutinho are capable of doing.

Iniesta is a pleasure to watch play. He goes forward. He then changes his mind, "let me go back." OK, maybe sideways and no one is able to disposses him of the ball. Messi is not that fast from 0-100 yards. He is a series of lighting bursts from 0-10 in whatever direction. In Argentina we rate players on their ability of what we calle "piques," which are more important for a player than just having sheer speed from 0-100.

"Pique" can be translated as "pick-up" speed or "bursts" of speed from 0-10. If you ever watched Maradona's other goal against England, during the '86 WC, where he dribbled past ~ 8 players, some of them more than once, was done by a series of bursts, stopping several times, changing direction all the time. He did not go very fast from his own side of the field to the other in blazing speed. That is what sets apart good players from very good ones.

Listen, i m not saying, that Di Maria is a bad player, he is an excellent one.

The reasons, why i think it s a bad idea to get him (unless we can get him for 20 mil or lower) are:

1. He is a former Madrid player.
2. He is 29 years old
3. He is not consistent
4. He is fairly injury prone
5. He is expensive (wage, probably transfer fee, re-sell value)

In essence, he is not a top tear player, who would transform Barca s game instantly. If he is not able to do that, than playing Deulofeu is a much better option.

It s time to stop buying old(er) players by defoult, because:

1. They cost more, than younger talent. Not necessary in terms of transfer fee, but in terms of re-sell value. If you miss the mark with an older player
you are usually stuck with him on high wages. We have a but load of examples in the past years. We have higher wage budget than Madrid!!
2. Their motivation is questionable. They ve earned money, they ve won trophies, their hunger is not on the same level as with younger players. Of course there are exceptions to this statement.

Messi983

We have Suarez Paulinho and Marlon who are non EU
Seri is Ivorian, not sure if he has French nationality as well or not
Coutinho is just Brazilian AFAIK
And Yery Mina is Columbian
So signing Seri will mean sending Marlon on loan and Mina arrival will mean Masche should go

- Suarez doesn't count as non EU player because his wife has Spanish passport
- Seri wouldn't count as non EU player either due to the Kolpak rulling
- Coutinho won't come so no worries about that but IF he does there won't be any problems until probably next summer
- I don't think Mina will join us before next summer. It's a WC season and I think he'd prefer to stay at Palmeiras until June 2018 over changing his team 6 months before WC. But if in the end he joins in January we'll have enough time until then to decide if it's better to keep Marlon and send Mina on loan to La Liga team until the end of the season or keep Mina/send Marlon on loan if he won't play much/good enough in first few months.
- Next summer could get trickier as I don't see us keeping both Mina and Marlon. It's possible we'll already try to get rid of Paulinho by then :lol: but even if we'll have a free non EU spot for both Mina and Marlon I don't think it would be the smartest use of resources to use 2 non EU spots on 3rd and 4th CB. But it's also possible that Marlon could already get Spanish citizenship next summer after spending 2 years here.

Hektor

Makes sense assuming the board is aware of 3 non EU rule
But in all cases I see this should be the last season got Masche, we should have our defence of Pique, Umtiti, Mina, Marlon and may be Inigo

Has anyone watched Mina play. I haven't, therefore I know nothing about the player. I cannot express any opinion about the player. Why are we counting on him as a great signing?

Last edited:

Hektor

Listen, i m not saying, that Di Maria is a bad player, he is an excellent one.

The reasons, why i think it s a bad idea to get him (unless we can get him for 20 mil or lower) are:

1. He is a former Madrid player.
2. He is 29 years old
3. He is not consistent
4. He is fairly injury prone
5. He is expensive (wage, probably transfer fee, re-sell value)

In essence, he is not a top tear player, who would transform Barca s game instantly. If he is not able to do that, than playing Deulofeu is a much better option.

It s time to stop buying old(er) players by defoult, because:

1. They cost more, than younger talent. Not necessary in terms of transfer fee, but in terms of re-sell value. If you miss the mark with an older player
you are usually stuck with him on high wages. We have a but load of examples in the past years. We have higher wage budget than Madrid!!
2. Their motivation is questionable. They ve earned money, they ve won trophies, their hunger is not on the same level as with younger players. Of course there are exceptions to this statement.

If we are counting on Di María to be our savior, we are for a rude awakening - he is not. What players do you think we are going to get? I'll believe it when I see it. Even if we get two players mentioned before, I see Di María as a nice third addition. However, I do not think that Unai Emery will let him go. I believe that Pastore might be the one to exit, if PSG gets Mbape.

What about Pastore? When he came out of Huracan, he was hailed as the next Messi. He never lived up to his lofty expectations and so far he has been disappointing with the Argentine National team. I have no idea how is he doing with PSG, though. I only follow Barça and Argentina. Therefore, I would not run out to get him.

Who is going to play wideout for us, if we do not get any more players (a very real possibility.) Deulefeu? Forget it! I was really hopeful with him. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Judoman

If we are counting on Di María to be our savior, we are for a rude awakening - he is not. What players do you think we are going to get? I'll believe it when I see it. Even if we get two players mentioned before, I see Di María as a nice third addition. However, I do not think that Unai Emery will let him go. I believe that Pastore might be the one to exit, if PSG gets Mbape.

What about Pastore? When he came out of Huracan, he was hailed as the next Messi. He never lived up to his lofty expectations and so far he has been disappointing with the Argentine National team. I have no idea how is he doing with PSG, though. I only follow Barça and Argentina. Therefore, I would not run out to get him.

Who is going to play wideout for us, if we do not get any more players (a very real possibility.) Deulefeu? Forget it! I was really hopeful with him. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I try not to make conclusions based on few games. He (Deulefeu) was solid in USA and bad in super copa games. Like the rest of the team.
The thing with clubs like Barcelona is, that when you are a young player, you have a very narrow window of opportunity, where you can make an impact and establish
yourself as a solid first team player. This kind of preasure is not something that an average player, no matter how talented, can handle. And there are fans with FM mentality
who expect wonders and big impact right from the start. Remember Modric start in Madrid, where he was labeled as a worst signing of the year? Look at him now..
My point is, the young Barca based players deserve a solid season based chance before players like Di Maria, Arda and such.

Personaly i would prefer Perisic, if we are talking about mature players. He hasn t won anything and he didn t played on the highest level yet. Which means
he is hungry. And i like his game in both direction and his work rate.

JamDav1982

I try not to make conclusions based on few games. He (Deulefeu) was solid in USA and bad in super copa games. Like the rest of the team.
The thing with clubs like Barcelona is, that when you are a young player, you have a very narrow window of opportunity, where you can make an impact and establish
yourself as a solid first team player. This kind of preasure is not something that an average player, no matter how talented, can handle. And there are fans with FM mentality
who expect wonders and big impact right from the start. Remember Modric start in Madrid, where he was labeled as a worst signing of the year? Look at him now..
My point is, the young Barca based players deserve a solid season based chance before players like Di Maria, Arda and such.

Personaly i would prefer Perisic, if we are talking about mature players. He hasn t won anything and he didn t played on the highest level yet. Which means
he is hungry. And i like his game in both direction and his work rate.

I try not to make conclusions based on few games. He (Deulefeu) was solid in USA and bad in super copa games.

Dont think he even played in USA did he?

Home of Barca Fans