Barca Transfers and Rumors

Messi983

I'm not the biggest fan of bringing back Cucurella as our LB solution. He's playing as a LM/LW. If we rely on him, I think we'll face similar problems next winter.

At least he has experience playing as LB. He can't possibly be worse than Roberto there. Or using Semedo as LB and playing Roberto on the right.

I don't see Cucu as our future starter so I don't actually care so much about his development but I think he could be a useful backup to Alba for the next two seasons which is what I think we need for now.

Neither Cucurella nor Miranda are actually good. I think we'd do better if we bring an older experienced player as a back-up for Alba than some young player who's a defensive liability, Barca B player or not.

I'm not against this option but who do you suggest?

Alba turns 30 this year and FBs usually start declining around this age. Dani Alves, Maicon, Ashley Cole, Filipe Luis(never been the same since he returned), Roberto Carlos, Evra, Marcelo right now.

All of them hitting a steep decline from 30 and onwards.

Alba in particular is very reliant on his pace too. If we can get Ferland Mendy or Firpo for a price that's fair I think we should go for it. You never know how the market for FBs is in two years. It's been really bad for a few years now and both Mendy and Firpo are pretty good players with potential to be starters.

I was just saying that I don't see a point in spending big money on a LB when we are planning to renew Alba until 2024. Which I strongly disagree with BTW (the length of his new contract not renewal itself. I think we should offer him extension till 2022 with a club option for another year at most).

Let's say we buy Firpo/Mendy for 50M but Alba keeps his playing on a high level for the next 2-3 years so that new LB would get limited playing time and want to leave before he would even get a chance to become our starter. (not to say his development would be stalled too) That's why at this moment I prefer to look for a cheap backup for the next 2 seasons whether that's Cucu or someone else for 10-20M instead of investing 50M in Firpo/Mendy whom I both like BTW and think they could be Alba's longterm replacements. But I just don't see 2019 as the right time to do that unless we buy one of them and leave him on loan at Betis/Lyon for a year or two. Can we financially afford that though?

Of course there is always a possibility Alba will fall off the cliff over the night but I think there are better odds he's still starting spot worthy in 2021 than Suarez and Pique. I think we should buy replacements for our old block in this order:

1. Suarez: 2019 - I don't "hate" him and think he's still very useful for the team but we probably won't have to wait for too long for people to start calling for his head if/when he'll go MIA again in the CL (hopefully I'm wrong). With no proven top strikers available (even if we'd be willing to pay 150M+ - which we probably can't afford - it wouldn't be enough to get Kane or Mbappe though as we're seeing with Coutinho even 150M signings are far from a guaranteed success) I don't see us having another option than take a gamble on one of those 50-60M rated players and hope for the best. If they'll work out great if not we'll sell them (with a loss) in a year or two and try our luck again.

2. Pique: 2019 or 2020 - I would really like to see what we have in Todibo who could surprise a lot of people imo before we commit a big money on Pique's potential replacement; obviously, CB could still be high on our priority list based on Umtiti's health concerns. If Big Sam will return this season without problems then I'm ok with Umtiti, Pique, Lenglet, Todibo CB rotation for another year.

T3. Alba: 2020 or more likely 2021. IF we can get Firpo/Mendy for around 30M this summer then I'm all for changing my "plans" and get one of them but this is very unlikely.

T3. Busquets: 2020 or more likely 2021 - I think with Arthur and FDJ fresher legs in the midfield he could still play on a good level for 2 seasons and both youngsters could also learn a lot from him. There are also limited options out there to replace Busi so we could give a chance to Oriol Busquets to prove his worth (well, more like potential) next season before investing big money. Maybe Arthur/FDJ could play DM longterm but for now I dont' think so as they are both limited defensively.

5. Messi: 2021 or 2022 - I think he still has a few top years left in him. We should look for players who could eventually take his spot in the XI but there is obviously no player who could replace what he brings individually so we shouldn't waste our time and money looking for "a new Messi".

Messi983

I've watched some Joao Felix videos on yt last night and find out about this kid.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jota/profil/spieler/329812

[youtube]31eGqOvXeTI[/youtube]
[MENTION=19224]raki[/MENTION]: How do you rate him?

He looks like a love child between Despacito Shaqiri and Denise Suarez and personally I don't like his Cristiano like stepovers but he looks quite talented (obviously most players do on yt highlights).

Also, I hate those "welcome to (insert club name)" titles. Was he ever even linked to Barça (B)?

Arizona Scott

Neither Cucurella nor Miranda are actually good. I think we'd do better if we bring an older experienced player as a back-up for Alba than some young player who's a defensive liability, Barca B player or not.

Nacho Monreal is out of contract this summer. I always like him better than Luis (not necc bc he is better--I think they are both solid all around players, i just think Luis can be dirtier--but I'd take him as a back up). He has been one of the better all around LBs in the EPL for years. He would have to be willing to play like 1/4 or 1/5 matches barring injury. But maybe he will want better weather, compete for the biggest trophies, and take on such a role at that stage of his career. He makes about 75K euros a week. 2-3 year deal at that level here?

Messi983

Nacho Monreal is out of contract this summer. I always like him better than Luis (not necc bc he is better--I think they are both solid all around players, i just think Luis can be dirtier--but I'd take him as a back up). He has been one of the better all around LBs in the EPL for years. He would have to be willing to play like 1/4 or 1/5 matches barring injury. But maybe he will want better weather, compete for the biggest trophies, and take on such a role at that stage of his career. He makes about 75K euros a week. 2-3 year deal at that level here?

No Arsenal players please.

also, he will be 33 in two weeks.

raki

I've watched some Joao Felix videos on yt last night and find out about this kid.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jota/profil/spieler/329812

[youtube]31eGqOvXeTI[/youtube]

[MENTION=19224]raki[/MENTION]: How do you rate him?

He looks like a love child between Despacito Shaqiri and Denise Suarez and personally I don't like his Cristiano like stepovers but he looks quite talented (obviously most players do on yt highlights).

Also, I hate those "welcome to (insert club name)" titles. Was he ever even linked to Barça (B)?

The new Coutinho tag is ridiculous. He is very talented. Best player and 2nd best scorer in the Euro under19 last summer.

Great in youth level but he hasnt played at senior level yet so i cant really have an honest opinion. He was good in the B team in the division 2.

I look at Felix and i see a gem. Only an injury can stop him. Jota needs to get some games for the A team so i can have a trustworthy opinion.

gasgas

......................Ter Stegen
Semedo....Todibo.....Lenglet....Alba
......................Busquet....
.........De Jong.............Arthur
Pepe...........Messi............Dembele

:wub:

dream lineup

Kul_z

Rakitic to manchester united rumours, they're talking about 57 m pounds. And chelsea also up for grabbing.

Leo_Messi

Rakitic to manchester united rumours, they're talking about 57 m pounds. And chelsea also up for grabbing.

tenor.gif

Iraqi_Christians_Pray_Rosary-56a1060d5f9b58eba4b6cf26.jpg

Santiago-de-Compostela-5952875a5f9b58f0fc6d5b08.jpg

The new Coutinho tag is ridiculous. He is very talented. Best player and 2nd best scorer in the Euro under19 last summer.

Great in youth level but he hasnt played at senior level yet so i cant really have an honest opinion. He was good in the B team in the division 2.

I look at Felix and i see a gem. Only an injury can stop him. Jota needs to get some games for the A team so i can have a trustworthy opinion.

Seems like Benfica is doing a better work talent wise than their cross-city rivals Sporting nowadays. Can't say that I am complaining about that being the case.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans