Barca Transfers and Rumors

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
His contract is ending next summer. He might get an extension, but who knows right now.

Braida got like a 4 year extension and what is his contribution? Fucking nothing. Zero.

So everything is possible.

Riordon

I hope he gets an extension, would be sad losing him as he is doing a good job IMO. He is scouting around the whole world, trying to find alternatives to Coutinho while Segura just wants Ozil. What Braida produces remain unknown.

gasgas

I hope he gets an extension, would be sad losing him as he is doing a good job IMO. He is scouting around the whole world, trying to find alternatives to Coutinho while Segura just wants Ozil. What Braida produces remain unknown.

Team Pep Segura :rockon:

Messi983

Segura should be the one gone, not Robert.

After 18 months I think we can fairly evaluate his signings last summer.

1. Umtiti - total steal, 15/10
2. Digne - brought in as a backup and doing his job good whenever needed
3. Jasper - same as Digne
4. Paco - I think he's starting to prove doubters wrong and is a solid backup. Was never meant to be a starter anyway with MSN ahead of him. And well, he was Robert's 4th or 5th forward choice and only signed because players with more upside (potential starters) like Dembele or G. Jesus rejected us.
5. Denis - had a good season with Vilarreal so I think it was a no brainer to use his buy back option and see what he has to offer. Nothing spectacular but I still think he could be useful as a backup LW/RW. Not a midfielder though imo. Napoli and other clubs seems to like him though so he could be one of the players with whom we can make a profit if we in the end decide to sell.
6. Gomes - I was defending him and still think he's not as bad as most people think but he's just not a fit here. Will probably get another 6 months to prove me wrong though. With Mendes as his agent we should also be able to sell him as I doubt Mendes would be interested in just loaning one of his clients since he doesn't get a provision for that.
7. Marlon - will mention him here even if he was signed for Barça B. Just a low risk (cost)/possible high reward gamble. Showed potential in Barça B and those few games with the first team but still too green and inexperienced imo. Maybe he can still have a future with us (though it seems unlikely now) but even if he doesn't there was nothing wrong with this transfer. He's not Douglas and I think he can make a solid career in good European club so we'll probably at least get invested money back if we sell him. And well, again he was only Robert's 2nd choice behind Davinson Sanchez who has proven himself at Ajax and now with Tottenham in the meantime.

So I think Robert does have an eye for young talents. Of course some players will work out better than others and no sport director will ever have a 100% success rate with his signings. But what I've liked the most about Robert was the way he worked quietly and then all of a sudden we've signed someone. Only transfer saga last year was with Paco but that was more on the mess at Valencia than our fault.

Of course he failed to bring RB last season but we don't know how much this was on him or if it was Lucho being convinced he'll make Roberto our RB of the future.

This summer it was different. Neymar leaving unexpectedly left us unprepared but I think things got even worse when Pep Segura has started to interfere into Robert's work. There were just too many cooks in the kitchen but I think Robert was ultimately the most responsible for buying Semedo and Dembele. We don't know if they'll really make it here but I think we can at least be optimistic with both. There were rumours that he was also behind Paulinho's signing but we'll probably never know what was really going on with that transfer. At least he's doing much better so far than anyone expected although he's not a longterm solution. I also can't blame him for bringing back Deulofeu and give him a second (or better said his first real chance with the first team) chance and show if he improved. At least now we can be sure he's not a Barça material even if he'll start to play good again in another team.

And while Robert can be blamed for not buying a CM this summer he was at least smart enough to not say publicly "we are close to sign Coutinho and Dembele" when that was not the case. :lol: So yeah, he's far from perfect but still a person that I like and trust the most from our current board to actually know what we need. But next two transfer windows (January and summer) will be crucial not only for Robert and his job but more importantly for club's short and midterm future. That's why I hope Segura will step away and let Robert do what he think is the best. If he'll fail then he should go but if Segura will replace him (or choose his successor) I fear things will become even worse.

DonAK

Last transfer window was important and it was frustrating as hell to see how that turned out. Was fun blaming Robert, Segura and the board, but most likely it wasn't Robert's fault. He's not the one negotiating the transfers or having the final say, freeing up funds to sign the players he recommends.

Although he did get Paulinho for 40m.....

Givenchy

Why don't we take a chance on Mkhitaryan?

I reckon it would be a risk but he certainly has the technical ability to play for us.

oh hell no, the guy is shite. even at Dortmund he was hit and miss, i still remember that Madrid-Dortmund CL game where he missed all those chances..

DonAK

The idea is to sign a creative midfielder who would not disappear before Messi does.

I'd on Ozil and Mkhitaryan being sold or let go before Messi retires while it would be the opposite with Coutinho.

BBZ8800

Apparently Robert will leave us next summer which its quite sad IMO. Umtiti and Dembele was his choices, he always look for alternatives in the market. He wanted us to buy Dembele before Dortmund got him, reached out to Davinson Sanchez twice, Guerrero and now Arthur. He looks for young quality players at smaller clubs so we can buy them for a smaller fee.
The problem is Segura who will be the one responsible for transfer once Robert leave. I think Robert is doing a good job.

Wait, wait...

Didn't he also buy Denis, Gomes, Paco, Deulofeu, Digne, Semedo (Umtiti + Dembele)?
That is 10+40+30+10+20+50+30+150=340 Millions for 1 starter currently and one guy who is injured and for whom we are yet to see how he will fit into our team?

I am really not sure whether it will be the end of the world if Robert will quit the job or should we open a champagne bottle?
His signings can easily end as Gaspart's era signings.

DonAK

Wait, wait...

Didn't he also buy Denis, Gomes, Paco, Deulofeu, Digne, Semedo (Umtiti + Dembele)?
That is 10+40+30+10+20+50+30+150=340 Millions for 1 starter currently and one guy who is injured and for whom we are yet to see how he will fit into our team?

I am really not sure whether it will be the end of the world if Robert will quit the job or should we open a champagne bottle?

Didn't sign Denis and Deulofeu. They were sent out before he joined Barcelona and would have returned with any Sporting Director.

Gomes, Paco, Digne, Semedo, Umtiti and Dembele though. I'm 100% confident the last three will be long-term starters with Barcelona.

Digne is not too bad of a backup after Grimaldo left. Gomes and Paco not been good signings and the lack of proper signings also an issue.

But I do not trust Bartomeu to get the right man in after Robert. He apparently want to bring in Malaga's SD or something. I would rather keep Robert who's trying to find players and making an effort. Coutinho and Griezmann now would be perfect.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Segura should be the one gone, not Robert.

After 18 months I think we can fairly evaluate his signings last summer.

1. Umtiti - total steal, 15/10
2. Digne - brought in as a backup and doing his job good whenever needed
3. Jasper - same as Digne
4. Paco - I think he's starting to prove doubters wrong and is a solid backup. Was never meant to be a starter anyway with MSN ahead of him. And well, he was Robert's 4th or 5th forward choice and only signed because players with more upside (potential starters) like Dembele or G. Jesus rejected us.
5. Denis - had a good season with Vilarreal so I think it was a no brainer to use his buy back option and see what he has to offer. Nothing spectacular but I still think he could be useful as a backup LW/RW. Not a midfielder though imo. Napoli and other clubs seems to like him though so he could be one of the players with whom we can make a profit if we in the end decide to sell.
6. Gomes - I was defending him and still think he's not as bad as most people think but he's just not a fit here. Will probably get another 6 months to prove me wrong though. With Mendes as his agent we should also be able to sell him as I doubt Mendes would be interested in just loaning one of his clients since he doesn't get a provision for that.
7. Marlon - will mention him here even if he was signed for Barça B. Just a low risk (cost)/possible high reward gamble. Showed potential in Barça B and those few games with the first team but still too green and inexperienced imo. Maybe he can still have a future with us (though it seems unlikely now) but even if he doesn't there was nothing wrong with this transfer. He's not Douglas and I think he can make a solid career in good European club so we'll probably at least get invested money back if we sell him. And well, again he was only Robert's 2nd choice behind Davinson Sanchez who has proven himself at Ajax and now with Tottenham in the meantime.

So I think Robert does have an eye for young talents. Of course some players will work out better than others and no sport director will ever have a 100% success rate with his signings. But what I've liked the most about Robert was the way he worked quietly and then all of a sudden we've signed someone. Only transfer saga last year was with Paco but that was more on the mess at Valencia than our fault.

Of course he failed to bring RB last season but we don't know how much this was on him or if it was Lucho being convinced he'll make Roberto our RB of the future.

This summer it was different. Neymar leaving unexpectedly left us unprepared but I think things got even worse when Pep Segura has started to interfere into Robert's work. There were just too many cooks in the kitchen but I think Robert was ultimately the most responsible for buying Semedo and Dembele. We don't know if they'll really make it here but I think we can at least be optimistic with both. There were rumours that he was also behind Paulinho's signing but we'll probably never know what was really going on with that transfer. At least he's doing much better so far than anyone expected although he's not a longterm solution. I also can't blame him for bringing back Deulofeu and give him a second (or better said his first real chance with the first team) chance and show if he improved. At least now we can be sure he's not a Barça material even if he'll start to play good again in another team.

And while Robert can be blamed for not buying a CM this summer he was at least smart enough to not say publicly "we are close to sign Coutinho and Dembele" when that was not the case. :lol: So yeah, he's far from perfect but still a person that I like and trust the most from our current board to actually know what we need. But next two transfer windows (January and summer) will be crucial not only for Robert and his job but more importantly for club's short and midterm future. That's why I hope Segura will step away and let Robert do what he think is the best. If he'll fail then he should go but if Segura will replace him (or choose his successor) I fear things will become even worse.

:goodpost:

Think I can agree with you on most points. Robert isn't a problem and I do wonder why there's an uncertainty regarding his future and why did Bartomeu put Segura in the mix.

Let's not forget another important thing; it was Robert who picked Valverde (he clearly said he was in charge of picking). If we win a major trophy (which noone expected in September) then Robert will be remembered fondly.

khaled_a_d

Wait, wait...

This could very well end up as 3 starters (Semedo,Dembele & Umtiti) and 2 solid back up players in Paco & Digne. with two bargain end of bench players who we had right to bring back and every SD would have bought back (Gerard & Denis) with only Gomes as clear failure and Paulinho remain to be seen. considering this is in 2 summers I don't mind his signings at all. would just love to bring someone else to sign midfielder :lol:

Home of Barca Fans