Barca draws Man City

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Is it only me or is citys players somewhat appealing to Barca fans? I mean, they have silva - who dosent love him? Yaya, brilliant, navas, spaniard, aguero, Argentinian National team with messi, zabaleta, demi....? There are many reasons to actually like the opponent, not the "institution" - city and the money, but the players.

Talking about money just read that City have €475 million 10-year sponsorship deal with Etihad, isn't this nice :)

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Talking about money just read that City have €475 million 10-year sponsorship deal with Etihad, isn't this nice :)

How DARE you hint at this contract being NOT a proper reflection of City's true value in terms of marketing??? How dare you?
When the officially best team in the world gets 25 mio. per year, City fully DESERVES to be valued at 47,5 mio.!!!!1 That's just their proper and deserved market value and has absolutely nothing to do with an attempt to cheat FFP!

Last edited:
C

chopchop

Is it only me or is citys players somewhat appealing to Barca fans? I mean, they have silva - who dosent love him? Yaya, brilliant, navas, spaniard, aguero, Argentinian National team with messi, zabaleta, demi....? There are many reasons to actually like the opponent, not the "institution" - city and the money, but the players.

City is owned by a man who is worth £400 billion. He put this football team together for his own entertainment. Apparently he watches all the games somewhere in the desert.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Man City really struggle against technical sides who play with lots of bodies in midfield. They basically play a 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 and leaves them vulnerable in midfield due to Yaya's defensive frailties. Fernandinho and Yaya were played off the park against Bayern Munich and their triangles. If Barceloan do the same, you'll tire him out. Iniesta should keep looking to get into the hole, in behind Yaya and Fernandinho where he can really do damage.

I expect City to score a few goal but both teams have average defences, so I except Barcelona to outscore them by two goals overall. Kompany, as good as he is, doesn't come up a player like Messi very often. He had to foul Hazard a lot yesterday, and Messi is even better.

Messi, Ineista, Busquets and Alves are the key to winning. If they play well, you'll stop City and do damage where it counts. Left back is weakness for them defensively (good attacking), which Alves can exploit.

Good points. Personally the more I think about it Yaya vs Xavi is going to be fascinating. Ever since Bayern walked them off the park in their own stadium, I have always questioned how legitimate their European credentials are, as we all know, domestic form does not always equate to continental success. So if Xavi can control the game and get Yaya chasing the ball, it could be another long night for City again. Yaya was fantastic against Chelsea and was a big reason why City were able to dominate the MF. Most of their moves started with his outlet pass so if we can limit his time on the ball, we'll be in business. Hope Xavi is up for it. :xavi:

With Kompany in particular, against Chelsea I noticed he was very aggressive in pressing the ball from the back line. At times, he was breaking up moves all the way from circles, zoning in on Hazard whenever he tried to pick up the ball in the center. If he charges out like that against us Messi, Iniesta and Pedro are going to have a field day with the space he leaves behind him. The false 9 setup specifically exploits man-marking of that nature and if City think all they have to do is stop Messi nowadays to beat us, they are in for a rude awakening.

The Real Sociedad line-up has its advantages but with perhaps Pedro-Messi-Sanchez up top, the potential to put City to sword here and just finish the tie in the first leg is definitely possible.

I wasn't terribly impressed with City's display against Chelsea as I think it had more to do with Chelsea offering nothing offensively to challenge their defense then City being that dominate. Chelsea kept the game within a goal for a majority of the game and even though City clearly had MF control, they didn't impose their will on the game enough with either clear cut chances or possession.

There are certainly weaknesses in this team and I think a more aggressive approach from Tata could pay off dividends in the first leg.

JamDav1982

City don't man mark, they use zonal marking. Kompany is one of the best defenders in the world, if not the best. Those charges you are talking about, he does it all the time against anyone and everyone. Kompany is just unbelievable.

Kompany tries to come out of the defence and win the ball early. It works most weeks in the Premier League but against the top techinal players he tends to get pulled out of defence and turned inside out.

If he tries to play like that against Messi he will most likely get destroyed.

Great player but he can be exposed against the better players.

C

chopchop

Kompany tries to come out of the defence and win the ball early. It works most weeks in the Premier League but against the top techinal players he tends to get pulled out of defence and turned inside out.

If he tries to play like that against Messi he will most likely get destroyed.

Great player but he can be exposed against the better players.

The way to stop Messi is to take the ball off him as quickly as possible, Kompany will know that.

JamDav1982

The way to stop Messi is to take the ball off him as quickly as possible, Kompany will know that.

No its not at all.

The CBs trying to win the ball early off Messi is about the worst thing they can try and do.

Many teams tried that and now defences like Real Madrid etc will not look to get their CBs drawn out to win the ball off him they look to stay in shape and along with midfielders deny him space.

If Kompany and Man City try that then it woudl be great for Barca.

C

chopchop

No its not at all.

The CBs trying to win the ball early off Messi is about the worst thing they can try and do.

Many teams tried that and now defences like Real Madrid etc will not look to get their CBs drawn out to win the ball off him they look to stay in shape and along with midfielders deny him space.

If Kompany and Man City try that then it woudl be great for Barca.

Perhaps they should just let Messi do whatever he wants.

I'm absolutely sure that City will try to pressure him as soon as he gets the ball. I know you're thinking about the space that gets created behind the defence, but that space cannot be exploited as City use a perfectly timed off-side trap.

JamDav1982

Perhaps they should just let Messi do whatever he wants.

I'm absolutely sure that City will try to pressure him as soon as he gets the ball. I know you're thinking about the space that gets created behind the defence, but that space cannot be exploited as City use a perfectly timed off-side trap.

The teams that have played Messi week in week out and those that have managed to limit him have generally learned that the CBs dont get drawn out trying to take the ball off Messi's feet.

Man City are no different and dont have a 'perfectly timed offside trap' either.

Pepe Silvia

Man City will undoubtedly apply pressure to Messi but if the pressure comes from their CBs they are in trouble (those openings would quickly be exploited by Iniesta). Pelligrini is not stupid, he will have his defense disciplined and not likely risk leaving dangerous open space from needless lunges, it's the midfield and wingers that will get involved to interrupt Barcas midfield and Messi, not the CBs.

As with many big games Barca have played over the years, the main factor will be to absorb the initial pressure and strike when the chance presents itself (god I miss Eto'o… I digress).

We tend to come out at kickoff in disarray and then a moment of courage and brilliance helps us find our legs and rhythm. If Man City are on their game, they can hurt us BIG TIME before we do something to gain a foothold. It's all up in the air, and that's why this tie has intrigued me since before the draw pitted us together.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
We will play with four midfielders, xavi,cesc,iniesta and busi to keep possession and tire them out then bring on sanchez and neymar to terrorize their tired legs

Either this, with Cesc as false false 9 up front and Messi & Pedro as inside forwards, or a front line of Messi, Pedro and Alexis. I expect Neymar to be our impact sub anyway.

Feeling anxious, nervous, excited and happy at the same time.

C

chopchop

Either this, with Cesc as false false 9 up front and Messi & Pedro as inside forwards, or a front line of Messi, Pedro and Alexis. I expect Neymar to be our impact sub anyway.

Feeling anxious, nervous, excited and happy at the same time.

I think it will be a mistake if we use too many inside forwards. City don't give away much space. They might use a 4-4-2 but are extremely compact. It would be very difficult to string passes together in the middle of the park, so we have to use the flanks or long balls.

tCfzH.jpg

As you can see from this image, the space between the lines is maybe 5 metres.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
Pictures don't play the game. Contrary to what you try to describe Man City indeed gave away too much space to their opponents, that's why their defence has conceded alot of goals this season.

Trickykid

You've now claimed that we could head for a 5-x beating, that City use a perfectly timed offside trap, and that Kompany is the greatest defender in the whole wide world. Oh, and conveniently enough, your account is brand spanking new, just in time for the City clash.

chopchop, forgive me for going out on a limb here, but you ARE a Man City fan in disguise, right?

...right?

Home of Barca Fans