Atletico de Madrid

El Flaco

Well, as we won't play the round after the Deportivo game before February, they most likely will.

Atlético could be No.1 in Liga table if they win against Bilbao and Depor take three points against us...

Last edited:

raskolnikov

I dont fear Atletico, I think they are like in 2012/13, the year before or even last season. They will run out of steam and will start dropping points post january.
For a 2014 type season they need a perfect season and a relatively weak Barca/Real not going 90+ points.
I give them a much better chance for the copa and cl. Over two games they can take anyone on a good night.

Catalan Fan

I dont fear Atletico, I think they are like in 2012/13, the year before or even last season. They will run out of steam and will start dropping points post january.
For a 2014 type season they need a perfect season and a relatively weak Barca/Real not going 90+ points.
I give them a much better chance for the copa and cl. Over two games they can take anyone on a good night.

I still wouldn't write them off either, think we were both at the Camp Nou couple of yrs ago when they got the draw and won the league ?

That's in the back of my mind still.

raskolnikov

I still wouldn't write them off either, think we were both at the Camp Nou couple of yrs ago when they got the draw and won the league ?

That's in the back of my mind still.

Haha definitely, still bugs me. Dream scenario would have been us winning the league there and Atletico the cl. But then again we might not have ended up with the msn treble winning season the year after.
How different things would be now if that Messi goal got allowed?
Still, Atletico seemed stronger than they are now and we definitely are. I will start worrying when its late mach and they are still close.

El Flaco

Bad argument.
Barcelona won the Liga more or less at this time in 2012/13 season and were way ahead of Madrid & Atleti.
And unlike today, where Atleti are considered as top 5 team in Europe, they weren't that good back then.

Atlético had to beat Barca away on the last day to win the league and did.

The Madrid team had a perfect season in 2013/14 indeed, but our decline started right after January.
Before that, many praised Barcelona while Atleti were able to keep up with us.
And Ancelotti has never been known for winning league titles, only 3 league titles in his 20 years as manager speaks for itself.

Since Atleti has manage to improve their bench significally this summer (just compare to our bench), a weakness they had previously.
So they are likely to not dropping points post january.

There's no reason to underestimate them.

Still, Atletico seemed stronger than they are now and we definitely are. I will start worrying when its late mach and they are still close.

Atlético are no different like Real Madrid, both of them are dangerious contesters to us for the La Liga title.

Last edited:
J

Jamie Cal

They're definitely in it now. If they get someone good in January to replace Tiago they could be hard beat, but at the moment I'd be still confident of us beating them.

El Flaco

After Madrid's loss against Villarreal, it seems more and more people (finally) start to take Atleti seriously...

J

Jamie Cal

They're getting Kranevitter.

I know, but I think he's the long-game. Some suggesting they'll buy a Tiago replacement next month.

After Madrid's loss against Villarreal, it seems more and more people (finally) start to take Atleti seriously...

Meh, still don't think they'll win it. Gonna need a great second half of the season from Martinez.

J

Jamie Cal

I know, mate, I watch them regularly. I meant that other than Griezmann, they're not great going forward, especially when Koke's not running the show. Jackson steps it up and they'll be a lot more dynamic.

Plus, then you have a killer impact sub in Vietto. I reckon if it was him coming on and getting the chance Torres got (where he ran through, tried to cut back), it's a definite goal.

B

beautifulgame

thats because its a mixture of new YOUNG guys blooding in and also those guys are quite good. vietto, carrasco, correa, saul are getting it together nicely but slowly and are definitely are talented. Plus, you have Oliver who can fill in too. Kranevitter is actually quite a neat player and once he settles will make their mid even stronger.

They will get better be a degree or two better with the ball as a team in the spring. To that end, they have improved significantly since last spring and even since the beginning of this season.

The place they may need to shore up next transfer window is at wing backs.

Home of Barca Fans