Atletico de Madrid

Leo_Messi

Don't see the big problem myself. This is how Atletico became one of the top teams in Europe. Based on their defense and efficiency in converting their few goal scoring chances. They give color in a way to La Liga.

I am not saying that it is a bad thing for Atlético or the league for that matter. Clearly very few if any envisioned the success that Simeone's approach would give Atlético. However at times a bit more tactical flexibility would not hurt. Atlético's current team might be Simeone's best team offensively (on paper at least) and far too often, this season included, and in particular last season (their CL campaign was horrendous for this very reason - lack of guts offensively) they have been outplayed by much smaller and worser teams on paper. The game against Valladolid last week was one of many examples. Today's game at home against Espanyol another one.

There is nothing wrong with being pragmatic when the situation calls for it but Simeone takes it too far which is why the CL trophy keeps eluding him. Likewise his Atlético team should have taken the many opportunities that they were given by Barça and Real Madrid in the league this season.

Which is why few other top teams are all that keen on him, i think.
The football is a bit too dull for teams like Bayern, Barca or Real.

Agree. Never ever seen a single credible rumor that links him to Barça or RM. Had it been any other manager with this much success and achievements, both clubs would be competing fiercely to get his signature. No such thing though.

I can't even see the likes of PSG or City ever wanting him either. Even if they fail to win the CL and start to become desperate. IMO he would fit Inter perfectly. There he could create a similar mentality and the fans are dying for some trophies and success and they will accept everything in terms of playing style.

However IF Simeone would be somehow able to change Atlético's identity a bit and prove himself to be more tactically flexible by playing a more offensive style, I see no reason why he would not be sought after by Barça, RM, Bayern, City, PSG etc. In fact I would take him in a heartbeat if that was the case.

Last edited:

JerseyAddict

They've won against Asspanyol. I dislike them more than AM so I'm ok with this.

I dislike them both. So 0:0 would auit me well... As Asspanyol is never a title contender grabbing points away form our runner up would be nice. But you can't ever expect a favour from Asspanyol.

JerseyAddict

The Atletico Madrid won 1-0 at [FONT=source_serif_pro_bold]Levante[/FONT] .[FONT=source_serif_pro_regular] Penalty. Transformed by Antoine Griezmann . Some hands, not reviewed by the VAR that did annul another athletic one. All these are details of the final result, 1-0. Again, 1-0. At home, so far in the league, there are four 1-0. On this occasion, Simeone said that "it was the best match of Atlético de Madrid or one of the best". Okay, but 1-0. I read a piece of Tatiana Mantovani on Twitterthat[/FONT] says that, with this triumph, Simeonereaches 250 victories as a mattress coach in 407 games. Well, of these 250 wins, 72 went 1-0. Or, which is the same, almost a third of the athletic victories of the '[FONT=source_serif_pro_bold]cholismo[/FONT]' are based on holding well back, get a goal and keep holding

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20190115/454130847453/atletico-simeone-liga-cholo.html

Vilarrubi

The Atletico Madrid won 1-0 at [FONT=source_serif_pro_bold]Levante[/FONT] .[FONT=source_serif_pro_regular] Penalty. Transformed by Antoine Griezmann . Some hands, not reviewed by the VAR that did annul another athletic one. All these are details of the final result, 1-0. Again, 1-0. At home, so far in the league, there are four 1-0. On this occasion, Simeone said that "it was the best match of Atlético de Madrid or one of the best". Okay, but 1-0. I read a piece of Tatiana Mantovani on Twitterthat[/FONT] says that, with this triumph, Simeonereaches 250 victories as a mattress coach in 407 games. Well, of these 250 wins, 72 went 1-0. Or, which is the same, almost a third of the athletic victories of the '[FONT=source_serif_pro_bold]cholismo[/FONT]' are based on holding well back, get a goal and keep holding

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20190115/454130847453/atletico-simeone-liga-cholo.html

Commentator on Eleven Sports was saying this too about 72 1-0 wins under Simeone... Crazy. They really have got their own style.

JerseyAddict

To be fair, who wants to see a team that wins 1:0 all the time... all the best to tacticians and this and that but I want to see fucking goals. Football is played for goals. That is why you get 3pts. Not 2 as before.

Cule4life

The Culest
To be fair, who wants to see a team that wins 1:0 all the time... all the best to tacticians and this and that but I want to see fucking goals. Football is played for goals. That is why you get 3pts. Not 2 as before.

There's a reason they don't have many fans outside their base. (Well maybe except BBZ)

Andresito

Staff member

They had their breakthrough as underdogs with these tactics. Since then they've kept going and it's worked out pretty well for them on the pitch.

IIRC Simeone said he'd like to play more offensively but that he can't. Or something along those lines.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
What is that Cruyff use to say; "Quality without results is pointless Spurs, results without Quality is boring Atletico?"

JerseyAddict

They had their breakthrough as underdogs with these tactics. Since then they've kept going and it's worked out pretty well for them on the pitch.

IIRC Simeone said he'd like to play more offensively but that he can't. Or something along those lines.

I don't buy it... they surely have the players that could snatch more goals. I think it is in Simeone's mentality by now that 1:0 is all good. 3pts in the pocket. He needs to see the bigger picture. When luck turns it's back and 1:0 more often becomes 1:1 they will be "that 3rd or 4th" club in La Liga again and hype will be over. Instead to upgrade what he has now he is something like "we do well"... And yes, I can't ever forgive them those 2UCL losses in finals vs Real.

Andresito

Staff member
I don't buy it... they surely have the players that could snatch more goals. I think it is in Simeone's mentality by now that 1:0 is all good. 3pts in the pocket. He needs to see the bigger picture. When luck turns it's back and 1:0 more often becomes 1:1 they will be "that 3rd or 4th" club in La Liga again and hype will be over. Instead to upgrade what he has now he is something like "we do well"... And yes, I can't ever forgive them those 2UCL losses in finals vs Real.

It's almost been 8 years since Simeone arrived. I think this so called boring tactic will keep being effective at Atlético until he leaves.

At a club like Atléti it's always harder to upgrade. Instead, the goal is to keep the players that made the team work in the first place.

Home of Barca Fans