Athletic Club de Bilbao

W

woobie

HAHA woobie... You know nothing about me and you still passed the judgement that I'm being a "cookie cutter impression" of Barcelona!?!

I really think that basques are limiting themselves by giving chances to only them who belong to their region, some how,... Improve that and I'll believe you're contributing more to the betterment of them!!

Well, your post showed a pretty desperate lack of knowledge about the club, its history, or the region it came from. And as I recall you have in past been an advocate for the globalization/branding of the sort seen in English clubs and in Barcelona/Madrid. If I was in error, then I apologize.

Sergio, my comment was directed at Araygorn, not at you. I get your point but I disagree -- I think it'd be a mistake for Athletic to change the Vasco-only policy even if it does given them a somewhat quaintly antiquated reputation. And I adore Bilbao (and keep looking at the flat sales listings in Getxo and Portugalete).

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Well, your post showed a pretty desperate lack of knowledge about the club, its history, or the region it came from.
Yes, I am.

And as I recall you have in past been an advocate for the globalization/branding of the sort seen in English clubs and in Barcelona/Madrid. If I was in error, then I apologize.
I have never been. I hate it when there are no youth players in a team, that's why I don't want City to win the league in EPL for example

I stand by my post, I believe it would be good to accept foreign players too if it means you could be mroe successful. Since they are against Spain and stuff, just don't sign Spanish players!!

Fernando Llorente is not a Basque by the way!!

W

woobie

You're assuming that they view success the same way you do -- for Athletic, keeping the 'Born in the Euskal Herria or of Basque parentage' thing is key to the club. So guys like Ramalho (Angolan father, Basque mother, born in Bilbao), players from the French counties that are Basque count, and players born in Navarre count (and Llorente was born in Pamplona, so yes, he does qualify). So really, I stand by my post in which I indicate I don't think you really much understand the club and its goals. Accepting international players (which Sociedad does) would just not likely happen at Athletic. Nor, really, do they need it. They're doing pretty darn well as it stands.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
You're assuming that they view success the same way you do -- for Athletic, keeping the 'Born in the Euskal Herria or of Basque parentage' thing is key to the club. So guys like Ramalho (Angolan father, Basque mother, born in Bilbao), players from the French counties that are Basque count, and players born in Navarre count (and Llorente was born in Pamplona, so yes, he does qualify). So really, I stand by my post in which I indicate I don't think you really much understand the club and its goals. Accepting international players (which Sociedad does) would just not likely happen at Athletic. Nor, really, do they need it. They're doing pretty darn well as it stands.

I agree, and I'm no ethnic nationalist and am pro-Spain (though in a federalist way). For Athletic it's as much a tradition as it is anything political. The club is one of only three to never be relegated sticking to their identity, why should they change?

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I agree, and I'm no ethnic nationalist and am pro-Spain (though in a federalist way). For Athletic it's as much a tradition as it is anything political. The club is one of only three to never be relegated sticking to their identity, why should they change?

you're also anti-Catalan.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Swedish expert just said Athletic (and Spanish teams in general) were doing so much better in Europe like this:
"It's because they face top quality teams week in and week out in the league, something they don't in Europe."

Sporting Gijon > Manchester United. :troll:

B

BrianSwan

Can Athletic keep Bielsa? How strong are they financially?

Really hoping they will become a threat in coming seasons.

khorne

Can Athletic keep Bielsa? How strong are they financially?

Really hoping they will become a threat in coming seasons.

me too. bielsa is a real asset for any league and i hope he gets enough time and ressources to create something nasty in bilbao. I'm tired of la liga de dos, one slip and it's basically in real's pocket. if it weren't for the fantastic football, it'd be boring as hell.

M

mitkoa7x

I think Bielsa might get an offer from City, after they sack Mancini this season. I'd prefer if Bielsa stayed in Athletic, but that doesnt seem likely imo.

B

beautifulgame

haha. england can't handle Bielsa.

and those lazy ass, tactically ignorant, shit technique havin' english players will cry and moan all season.

M

mitkoa7x

I agree, he'll whip them in shape and probably get sacked after a conspiracy against him so that the players can continue to slack off. Ala AVB-ish.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Easily my favourite team this season, excluding my bias towards Barca. Bielsa has done a great job and I hope he remains at Athletic to keep up the good work.

cule19

The club has had that potential stored right there but Caparrós, JIM, etc. didn't know how to get it out. Bielsa managed to unleash the beast, I hope that in at least 2 seasons they'll be fighting for CL Semis.

If Bielsa goes away from Bilbao, I hope it's because Pep's leaving Barcelona and he's going to take over; although I'd rather see them both where they are right now.

Home of Barca Fans