Arturo Vidal

Messigician

You laughed at the idea of signing anyone other than the "instant impact" experienced and proven superstar Coutinho for 160m. You constantly brag about how much better you are at judging players than other people on the forum. You hate the idea of signing younger players. Perhaps being more humble is a good strategy going forward? Liverpool look better than ever these days, with 45m signing Fabinho who you mocked just a few days ago absolutely bossing it in their midfield yesterday against Man U.

We risk both bankruptcy and years of sporting failure if we fail miserably on the transfer market with big transfers. Especially if they are old with little sell-on value. Luckily, Coutinho can still get us a lot of money in a potential sale if he fails, but if he had been a couple of years older, we would have been in serious trouble.

Fabinho bossing united's midfield with no Pogba is no big deal even Shelvey did it with Pogba on the pitch

BBZ8800

You are right.
But there is also another interesting pattern:
In the last 4 matches when Vidal-Rakitic-Busi were a midfield trio, we won:
Levante 5:0
Espanyol 4:0
Villareal 2:0
Psv 2:1

How I like to call them: our physically strongest and tallest midfield conceded 1 goal in the last 360 minutes.

Another interesting stat is that Roberto hasn't played in any of those matches.
Till now, I was against Semedo, but in these last few matches, it seems that a more physical combo Rakitic-Busi-Vidal-Semedo is the strongest defensive combination.

Upfront, attacking wise, Dembele-Suarez-Messi is the way to go statistically, in this moment.

Since he is out, I will continue this pattern:
Psv 1
Villareal 0
Espanyol 0
Levante 0
Celta 0

Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal trio are not allowing too many goals into our net.

But again, people won't like this stat.
That means no Arthur.
No Coutinho.
And eapecially no Arthur-Coutinho duo.

Tekkers

Psv 1
Villareal 0
Espanyol 0
Levante 0
Celta 0

That means no Arthur.
No Coutinho.

i thought dembele was worse than rafinha. remember? hahahaha

Joan

Psv 1
Villareal 0
Espanyol 0
Levante 0
Celta 0

That means no Arthur.
No Coutinho.

I didn't like this logic, but it's become a trend. Not only that we don't concede goals, we also don't concede many big chances. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but we were much worse once Arthur and Coutinho were on the pitch.

Gnidrologist

We also don't create chances apart from Messi's and Dembele's dribbles. Don't think this works in CL. Besides, we were playing against teams that failed to capitalize on numerous chances that Rakitic and Busquets give away in the holding area. Any time an opponent accelerates they both are out of the game just jogging backwards. It's okay against Levante and Celta, who can't make any profit out of it.

Leo_Messi

Refreshing to see a player with an attitude and who gives it all on the pitch. We really lacked that "garra". Long may it continue.

serghei

Psv 1
Villareal 0
Espanyol 0
Levante 0
Celta 0

That means no Arthur.
No Coutinho.

Dude. If we keep it up in CL you will have a point. Since we've won La Liga numerous times playing better football, we don't really have to play this negatively in order to beat the likes of Levante and Celta, sitting back to defend slim leads while being 8 - 10 in shots and almost even 50-50 on possession.

So, if we somehow draw Juventus, or PSG, or Liverpool or some team like that, and Ernie goes prime Mourinho, Allegri or Simeone, with us conceding 1 goal in two games, than we should all shut up and applaud the defensive mastermind that is Ernesto Valverde. Would school us all.

Until then, he's the manager who blew up a 4-1 lead vs Roma by trying to conserve the result and lost 3-0. And it will always be like that until he proves otherwise.

Hell, until the likes of Liverpool and PSG or whatever, let's just keep a clean sheet in France vs Lyon.

Last edited:

serghei

Sorry, but I don't give Ernie a medal - or a coin - for conserving a result against teams that most top teams would beat comfortably. Let him do that vs teams having much better attacking units and then we could talk about merits.

Messi983

Sorry, but I don't give Ernie a medal - or a coin - for conserving a result against teams that most top teams would beat comfortably. Let him do that vs teams having much better attacking units and then we could talk about merits.

Celta have scored the 3rd most goals in La Liga this season, they are a good attacking team who we've struggled against in recent years. This time they haven't created many good chances so I'll give a credit to EV and the team for that.

serghei

A Chilean journo just asked Vidal if he is preparing to play another Champions final and he said no, he's preparing to win it.

This guy should be the first name in midfield on testosterone levels alone for the big CL battles. One of the very few players out there who put their money where their mouth his. I am sure that if we had him vs Roma we would've went through even if everything else remained the same.

Home of Barca Fans