Arthur

Devils

In hindsight we should have bought Seri.

If we can sell the Brazilian Seri for 80m. I wonder how much we could have sold the actual one for.

MTL_Barca

Pjanic doesnt replace Arthur he replaces Rakitic.

Puig replaces Arthur.

Team gets younger..... and we're on to Cincinnati.

Or skip a step and replace Rakitic with Puig? Team is even younger, cheaper and not worse. But that means we count on Puig, if he (or another young player) doesn't make it it's just Frenkie + oldies.

I'm not against selling Arthur but unless they sell at least 2 of Raki/Busi/Vidal it's not a good idea to bring in more 30+s.

For me the main motivation to do this now is to trick the finances, otherwise there would be no need at all to fix such a swap deal soon. If big decisions are purely based on money they're usually not that great sporting wise, but of course it's a bit late after they already sunk 400M into Griezmann, Dembele and Coutinho...

I'd be fine with selling Arthur itself but this whole story just shows whats wrong with this board in my opinion.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Or skip a step and replace Rakitic with Puig? Team is even younger, cheaper and not worse. But that means we count on Puig, if he (or another young player) doesn't make it it's just Frenkie + oldies.

I'm not against selling Arthur but unless they sell at least 2 of Raki/Busi/Vidal it's not a good idea to bring in more 30+s.

If they sign a young strong CM + Pjanic + Puig or someone else can get regular playing time then it would look great but i have doubts that'll all happen at once.

Rakitic has decent range of passing can pass ball forward better than Arthur.

Arhur can barely waddle about for 45mins before looking goosed.

Team will get younger not older and Arthur brings a lot that is wrong with the midfield. No great loss.

Pjanic is not some old man who is done... he is younger than Kroos and 4 1/2 years younger than Modric.

MTL_Barca

Rakitic has decent range of passing can pass ball forward better than Arthur.

Arhur can barely waddle about for 45mins before looking goosed.

Team will get younger not older and Arthur brings a lot that is wrong with the midfield. No great loss.

Pjanic is not 35... he is younger than Kroos and 4 1/2 years younger than Modric.

Just edited my post, you were too fast :) I'm not totally against selling Arthur but i don't like at all how/why this is happening right now.

Also i'd say it's not enough that the team just gets younger, it needs to get a lot younger in midfield. I don't think any of the three oldies should play a big part beyond 2021, and honestly all three are already way past it right.

JamDav1982

Just edited my post, you were too fast :) I'm not totally against selling Arthur but i don't like at all how/why this is happening right now.

Also i'd say it's not enough that the team just gets younger, it needs to get a lot younger in midfield. I don't think any of the three oldies should play a big part beyond 2021, and honestly all three are already way past it right.

I agree but I think Pjanic brings more what a Rakitic type does and Puig can potentially be a more positive version of Arthur.

That is more likely roles.

Rakitic and Vidal have to go. Dont think will get much if any fees for them though.

Not sure Arthur was all that suited to FDJ either who the midfield needs to belong to going forward.

George_Costanza

From Juve forums, they're furious at the deal.

For any Barca fans lurking: you are getting a complete steal here.
Pjanić was one of our top performers in recent years, having learned from the maestro himself, Andrea Pirlo.
After our games Pjanić's thread is usually one of the most active ones as we appreciate his contribution, tricks and skills.
With Pjanić you are basically getting a whole midfield in one player. He defends like a bull terrier, covers the ground from one box to the other and slices the most tight defences with his pinpoint passes and vision. He is the key element to Sarri-taka and i fear our goals ratio will change dramatically without him.
One more thing to mention is that he is a true leader having stepped up numerous times in the most important games when the team was struggling.
As we say here "Con Pjanić non c'? Panic" meaning that with Pjanić there is no panic.

From Madrid forums, they are laughing at us and calling Bartomeu a fool.

Givenchy

From Juve forums, they're furious at the deal.

For any Barca fans lurking: you are getting a complete steal here.
Pjanić was one of our top performers in recent years, having learned from the maestro himself, Andrea Pirlo.
After our games Pjanić's thread is usually one of the most active ones as we appreciate his contribution, tricks and skills.
With Pjanić you are basically getting a whole midfield in one player. He defends like a bull terrier, covers the ground from one box to the other and slices the most tight defences with his pinpoint passes and vision. He is the key element to Sarri-taka and i fear our goals ratio will change dramatically without him.
One more thing to mention is that he is a true leader having stepped up numerous times in the most important games when the team was struggling.
As we say here "Con Pjanić non c'? Panic" meaning that with Pjanić there is no panic.

this post is sarcasm

Tackle

People have spent hours upon hours over the years defending this mediocre player to death on this forum. It is only natural for some to have issues letting go. Who knows, Arthur could leave this environment and turn out to be a gem, but it's far more likely the bloke slowly fades into relevance and we never hear about him again in a couple years. By then there will be other players to defend religiously and the lot who talked Arthur up to be the next Xavi will pretend it never happened. 95% of players bought here fail, it comes with the territory. Midfielders don't suddenly gain abilities they never had at age 24. Fans are in love with his style. If he played at the same level, but was stylistically like a Gomes or Rakitic nobody would give a single feck about him leaving. Barcelona supporters are simply the most romantic in the world.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Trading Arthur for Pjanic to balance the books isn't necessarily shady accounting but it is further proof that the board values favorable finances and being good with the socis than they do care about the sporting project at all.

I've seen nothing that lends to this idea that this is a first step in a calculated, much needed midfield cleanup/recycle operation. Will Rakitic be sold in a timely manner? Or Vidal (who I say we should keep)? Or Busquets be phased out? Unlikely.

They clearly do not care about over-accumulation of dead weight in the squad, as seen by constantly doing failed 100m+ attacking transfers in Coutinho/Dembele/Griezmann and then letting them accumulate and rot on the bench or remain in the wage bill without prioritizing to get rid of them and clean the roster for players who make sense on a sporting level.

We just keep gathering more and more dead weight that the board doesn't care about and the coaches don't know what to do with. So many players in the club that don't have a truly necessary or clearly defined sporting role, but are just there because they don't care enough to move them on. It's not even on their agenda, which is completely centered around financial health, cozying up to the socis, getting re-election, and then trying to build Espai Barca.

The model that made this club succeed was to prioritize and heavily contribute to sporting success with smart transfers, coaching hires, sporting director hires and then subsequently when the team succeeds the money rolls in. This board is all about just focusing on the money and the marketing first and foremost, while the sporting project takes a back seat.

serghei

Trading Arthur for Pjanic to balance the books isn't necessarily shady accounting but it is further proof that the board values favorable finances and being good with the socis than they do care about the sporting project at all.

I've seen nothing that lends to this idea that this is a first step in a calculated, much needed midfield cleanup/recycle operation. Will Rakitic be sold in a timely manner? Or Vidal (who I say we should keep)? Or Busquets be phased out? Unlikely.

They clearly do not care about over-accumulation of dead weight in the squad, as seen by constantly doing failed 100m+ attacking transfers in Coutinho/Dembele/Griezmann and then letting them accumulate and rot on the bench or remain in the wage bill without prioritizing to get rid of them and clean the roster for players who make sense on a sporting level.

We just keep gathering more and more dead weight that the board doesn't care about and the coaches don't know what to do with. So many players in the club that don't have a truly necessary or clearly defined sporting role, but are just there because they don't care enough to move them on. It's not even on their agenda, which is completely centered around financial health, cozying up to the socis, getting re-election, and then trying to build Espai Barca.

The model that made this club succeed was to prioritize and heavily contribute to sporting success with smart transfers, coaching hires, sporting director hires and then subsequently when the team succeeds the money rolls in. This board is all about just focusing on the money and the marketing first and foremost, while the sporting project takes a back seat.

They had the luxury of winning titles. After that is done and we enter a spiral of no titles, and bad seasons sporting-wise, heat is going to get massive. It's like a rope that is getting thinner and thinner until it breaks. And no economics will save them then.

Title-wise, we have had successful seasons almost every year in the last decade.

2010 - La Liga
2011 - La Liga + CL
2012 - Copa del Rey
2013 - La Liga
2014 - Nothing
2015 - La Liga + Copa + CL
2016 - La Liga
2017 - Copa del Rey
2018 - La Liga + Copa
2019 - La Liga

1 trophyless season in a decade. And only 3 seasons in the last decade without a big title. This is their cover.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans