Arthur

Centauri B

One more bad thing about our CL defeat is that now people will be able to post any theories and we won't be able to test it.

For the next 12 Months we will read how Arthur could have saved us.
Maybe it is true, maybe it isn't.
We can't test it.

We will get the answer only in March and April of 2020' when we will play new Cl matches.

Until then, majority of our players will look like a World class in La Liga matches, in Cdr matches against Celta and Espanyol and in a Cl meaningless semi friendly group stage matches againt Roma, Psv and a champion of Estonia.

My point is: La Liga is really weak lately.
Smaller teams are horrible, Real and Atletico are weaker than before plus they lost (or they will lose) Cr7 and Griezmann.
Sevilla is way weaker than 5 years ago when they were winning in Europe.
Cdr is a Mickey Mouse trophy.
Cl group stage is also usually played with 70% of intensity.

So, unless if a player plays horribly against smaller teams, we won't know how actually good he is.

Dembele is injured all the time.
He hasn't played too much on a World cup.
He hasn't played CL knockout matches in the last two seasons.
We have no idea whether in a CL he will be a world class guy or a guy from the last 5 minutes against Liverpool where he screwed 3 actions in 5 minutes.

Arthur hasn't played on a World cup, and played 3 KO matches this season.
Against Man U, by neutral ratings, he was our worst midfielder.

My point: La liga is turning into a slow motion, lower intensity, lower pressure, lower quality league.
Busi looks good in La liga, yet in Europe he is eaten alive.
Our players are getting used to that slow tempo of La Liga, Cdr and CL group stage semi-friendly matches.
And we aren't tested at all in against high intensity sudden death matches, unlike EPL teams.

Plus, we can hope that Dembele or Arthur would have played awesome against Liverpool, but in this moment, you guys don't have any proofs for that since they never played in similar matches.

So, as said, we won't know the answer till the next March.
Then it will be either:
1) we won, these guys are a true material
2) or, oh... we lost 4:0 again even with them on a field. Let's find a new scapegoat.

There is an element of truth in what you say, but there is also exaggeration. Lots of it.

First of all, yes, La Liga games, simply do not compare with CL KO games. CL group games also do not compare with KO games, even if they are against some very big teams. But even in La Liga games, our weaknesses have been showing for at least 2 seasons. Remember when we used to destroy 75% of teams at home by half time? How many times did this happen in the last couple of seasons? Also, this newfound hyping of the EPL is now going too far. If EPL was as awesome as you are suggesting, then Liverpool and City would not be able to reach 100 points with massive goal differences to boot. Even during this season, the EPL's best, both Liverpool & Spurs only luckily made it out of the GS. Liverpool lost all 3 of their away games, and needed a nervy 1-0 win over Napoli to go through on goal difference, a goal difference made possible by a ghost Millner penaldo against PSG. Spurs needed our & PSG's help to get out their group. Had we not fielded a second string side in the last game, Spurs would be out in December.

So, what you say about us not knowing how good players will perform in the crucial games of the season, is always true, irrespective of how weak/strong a league is. CL KO games are just in a league of their own, in terms of intensity, quality and pressure.

I was just rewatching some plays from our latest debacle, and at some stages, VVD (hailed by most, perhaps rightly, as the world's best CB) looked stupid. This is exactly what makes the CL so special, it can make even the best players look rubbish at times. Just look at Jordi Alba in the Anfield game, the world's best LB was transformed into a joke.

The LL, CdR, and CL GS games can only provide us with some general idea of how things can turn out, nothing more. But to be honest, the weaknesses of Biscuits, Rakitic, Roberto, Coutinho etc, were evident in several LL games (Bilbao, Leganes, Levante, Getafe, Betis, Atleti away, Girona, Sociedad etc etc) In fact, this year our best games and scorelines came at the CL KO games, but unfortunately, only at the Camp Nou.

Arizona Scott

I think our Classios and match with Atleti in league and CDR are on par with CL intensity and CL opponent quality. Madrid poored everything in those CDR matches this year because that was all they had left, Arthur was terrific against world class midfielders playing their hardest. I do think the season caught up to him, physically for sure and maybe mentally too. But a 100% Arthur, like we saw in the Madrid matches, I am confident will be of major aid in next year's knockouts. I think he would have helped more this week had he played, and I think he is like 85% mentally/physically where he was a couple months ago. Arthur and De Jong are def worth some optimism for having a stronger midfield presence next year.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Arthur hasn't played on a World cup, and played 3 KO matches this season.
Against Man U, by neutral ratings, he was our worst midfielder.

Imagine thinking you are making an intelligent point by citing Guardian, Dailymail, Whoscored to say that Arthur was our worst midfielder against United lmfao.

Do you think guys like Januzaj and Ruben Rochina are better midfielders than the likes of Arthur/Modric too, because Whoscored says so?

Arthur had great games against a fully fit Tottenham team, Real Madrid, Inter, and Lyon. In 15 minutes against Liverpool when the team was already fucked he performed far better than Rakitic did over 80. Many people here and elsewhere who actually paid attention to his performance against United thought he played great and outperformed Pogba head to head.

Centauri B

I think our Classios and match with Atleti in league and CDR are on par with CL intensity and CL opponent quality. Madrid poored everything in those CDR matches this year because that was all they had left, Arthur was terrific against world class midfielders playing their hardest. I do think the season caught up to him, physically for sure and maybe mentally too. But a 100% Arthur, like we saw in the Madrid matches, I am confident will be of major aid in next year's knockouts. I think he would have helped more this week had he played, and I think he is like 85% mentally/physically where he was a couple months ago. Arthur and De Jong are def worth some optimism for having a stronger midfield presence next year.

In that 0-3 win at the Bernabeu, Real Madrid hammered us far more than Liverpool ever did. They were just useless in front of goal, and we did some obscene last-ditch defending. If we did the same heroic defending vs Liverpool, we would have gone through.

Arizona Scott

In that 0-3 win at the Bernabeu, Real Madrid hammered us far more than Liverpool ever did. They were just useless in front of goal, and we did some obscene last-ditch defending. If we did the same heroic defending vs Liverpool, we would have gone through.

Arthur didn't play in the 3-0 match I don't think. But he was very very good if I recall in the 1-1 match when a more rested Real tried to jump on us at the Camp Nou with everything they got. How Arthur played vs the best midfield in the world gives me a ton of confidence that when he is fully fit we can count on him as much as any midfielder next year (including FJD--who will still have to adapt). The fact all this was his 1st season in Europe further bodes well.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
All in all, I think it is best for him he didn't play... He looks like he has a bright future and escaping the angry mob might be good for him looking forward to next season...

On the other hand, we should be careful and not overhype and call him the next Xavi, just let the guy grow...

Raki13

I like this guy but hes a holding midfielder and doesnt know how to make a forward pass. We can only play with one of these guys , we need an attacking midfielder to play along side him, like an Iniesta. God knows where the next Iniesta is coming from.

Andrew M

I like this guy but hes a holding midfielder and doesnt know how to make a forward pass. We can only play with one of these guys , we need an attacking midfielder to play along side him, like an Iniesta. God knows where the next Iniesta is coming from.

There is no next Iniesta.

kattanib

If the future plays in our favor, in two years you might see an amazing trio being formed: De Jong as a CDM who is versatile and can move forward or fall back to CB for a 343 formation; Arthur as a holder; and Puig as a creative CAM

Andrew M

If the future plays in our favor, in two years you might see an amazing trio being formed: De Jong as a CDM who is versatile and can move forward or fall back to CB for a 343 formation; Arthur as a holder; and Puig as a creative CAM

People on here always get carried away with our youth prospects. Puig could well end up at Girona or somewhere and it wouldn't be Valverde's fault either.

Toecrusher

Xavi today...

A player who’s compared to you is Arthur. How do you evaluate his first season at Barca?
You have to compare Arthur at 22 and Xavi at 22. You can’t compare Arthur at 22 with Xavi at 30. It’s not fair. He’s had a good season. He doesn’t lose the ball, he sees the best solutions, he’s smart. He can play 10 years at Barca at a brutal level. He should attack, give the killer ball, shoot, but that was true of me at that age. I see myself reflected in how he plays … without being from the Barca school. With him and De Jong at 21, Barca have two very good players. De Ligt should be signed too.

https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...iezmann-did-last-summer-hurt-at-barca-7465206

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 3

cro-man

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The dressing room is worried about Arthur. He weighs four kilos more than when he first arrived at Barcelona. [cat radio] <a href="https://t.co/eYWTUxc9oM">pic.twitter.com/eYWTUxc9oM</a></p>— barcacentre (@barcacentre) <a href="https://twitter.com/barcacentre/status/1130953158174355464?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 21, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Home of Barca Fans