Arthur

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He also seems humble and down to earth so there is a lot to like about his character. I just hope he has mental strength to overcome (very likely) early struggles during his adaptation period. If he can do that then I think he can succeed here.

Paulinho and Coutinho should ease his transition but I am restraining my excitement for now. Best not set the bar too high and expect too much in his first season out of Brasil. Every single player we signed straight from South America failed. Except for Neymar who struggled in his first season.

Would be a dream if he turns out as controller we missed since Xavi. :)

George_Costanza

He's 22 when he joins. Busquets became a starter for us at age 20. If he is good enough, he is old enough. If he doesn't convince in the first year, he's likely out.

It doesn't make sense comparing him to Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, and all other La Masia graduates since they literally played the same system for a decade before joining the first team.

Jombi

It doesn't make sense comparing him to Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, and all other La Masia graduates since they literally played the same system for a decade before joining the first team.

Busquets joined La Masia at 17.

The point is, if Arthur or any other cant cut it at this level, it will show in the first season. We are not signing players in their early 20s to have them play a couple of Copa games. They will have to challenge the starters right from the get go, just like Umtiti did.

Joan

Busquets joined La Masia at 17.

The point is, if Arthur or any other cant cut it at this level, it will show in the first season. We are not signing players in their early 20s to have them play a couple of Copa games. They will have to challenge the starters right from the get go, just like Umtiti did.

Like Modrić?

Writing players off after they don't take the spot in the first 11 after one season is plain stupid. We'll see if he fits us and can make it and keep him even if he underperforms.

xXKonan

Well the good thing is he will be ready to go fitness wise and will get an entire Pre-season done as well.

I really wish Iniesta had stuck around for at least one more season though. Arthur spending a year playing and training with Iniesta would have helped the adaption period go even smoother.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Problem is the EV really may have kept insisting on starting Iniesta even despite being 34 and visibly declining.

With the way things are now, that other CM spot is there for the taking (if we play the right system). The other mids in the squad are anything but starting caliber. Arthur will have a full preseason to impress EV and that too with most of the starters resting after the WC, so plenty of early playing time to start making judgements.

The big issue is still the 4-4-2. Barca absolutely need to move on from this rubbish system but I don't know if that's part of his plan. If we do go that route, then Arthur will not be able to fight for a spot. Rakitic is EV's golden boy and Arthur shouldn't be playing LM/RM the way Iniesta could. So the question is, will Dembele start now? Or are we getting another big player and keeping both Arthur and Dembele on the bench? There's no clear path forward under Valverde and I could see more lineup selection issues this season just as with last year.

Jombi

Like Modrić?

Writing players off after they don't take the spot in the first 11 after one season is plain stupid. We'll see if he fits us and can make it and keep him even if he underperforms.

Never said they have to be in the first 11 after one season, but he will definitely need to perform and challenge the starters at the minimum. We are simply not going to keep players around for some "long term project" years down the line. He will have to be ready to play any game, including CL knock out games. The guy is 22. Not some kid anymore. If he cant hack it, he's out.

khaled_a_d

Never said they have to be in the first 11 after one season, but he will definitely need to perform and challenge the starters at the minimum. We are simply not going to keep players around for some "long term project" years down the line. He will have to be ready to play any game, including CL knock out games. The guy is 22. Not some kid anymore. If he cant hack it, he's out.

tbf we usually give our players 2 seasons unless they are named Deulofeu

Joan

You are just wrong here. He doesn't have to play at the same level as Rakitić for example in his first season to extend his stay. Look at Gomes, clubs invest and players are often long-term projects. They fail and then you want to get rid of them. What we'll look for in his game is potential, compatibility with our setup and so on. If he can perform at the required level, terrific. But remember what you're asking, you're asking for the highest level as soon as he comes here.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I mean we gave Gomes and Denis two seasons to try and turn their situation around and especially in Gomes case failed to do so.

Jombi

You are just wrong here. He doesn't have to play at the same level as Rakitić for example in his first season to extend his stay. Look at Gomes, clubs invest and players are often long-term projects. They fail and then you want to get rid of them. What we'll look for in his game is potential, compatibility with our setup and so on. If he can perform at the required level, terrific. But remember what you're asking, you're asking for the highest level as soon as he comes here.

Sounds nice and I understand you want to lower expectations, and thats fine, but he has to perform at a high level early on.

xXKonan

Sounds nice and I understand you want to lower expectations, and thats fine, but he has to perform at a high level early on.
He needs time to adapt first before he performs at a High Level.

It took Neymar a full season to come to grips with Europe as well. Also not really surprising going by some of your previous posts on here that you weren't even high on Arthur in the first place. It comes off as someone wanting him to struggle and immediately scream "SEE I TOLD YOU SO" claiming he's nothing more than the second coming of Lucas Leiva.

Home of Barca Fans