Arsenal

BXI Fútbol

When Henry left in 2007, every major pundit was predicting a 5th place finish. We got insanely lucky that Adebayor happened to step up at the right time, and that our midfield 3 of Flamini/Hleb/Cesc stayed fit. At one point, we were leading the table by 11 points, but certain defenders (Gallas, Clichy) lost their heads after Feb, and we ended up losing by 4 points in May.

Anyways, it's too early to predict anything. Will Giroud step up like Adebayor did and score 30 goals? Will Flamini/Wilshere/Ozil equal the abilities of Flamini/Hleb/Cesc?

You're forgetting CAZORLA.

Irish_Cules

What do you think Arsenal's starting 11 will be with eveyrbody full fit now that Ozil has arrived? Could we see Walcott become a striker finally?

DB10

Scz
Gibbs
Kos
Mert
Arteta
Ramsey
Ozil
Cazorla
Walcott
Giroud

Would be my line up most games. Ozil in the middle with Cazorla on the left. Ramsey is in such good form that Jack drops to the bench but it's easily rotated.

Don't see Walcott as a striker in the long term, he just hasn't the game for it. The fact we were chasing a marquee striker all summer shows that. I think Walcott saying he's ready to be a striker was just contract posturing, the right is the best position for him.

iYRyXvvxKZ5nw.gif

Last edited:

DB10

Ozil is so good we can play with 10. Sorry Sagna. :lol:

Gibbs is better going forward but Monreal is the better defender. Not much between them tbf.

BXI Fútbol

What do you think Arsenal's starting 11 will be with eveyrbody full fit now that Ozil has arrived? Could we see Walcott become a striker finally?

Hell no to Walcott as striker.

Starting XI imo should be:

--Sagna---Per Mer---Kos---Monreal--
--------Arteta-----------Ramsey-------
-----Walcott-----Ozil-----Cazorla------
-----------------Giroud-----------------

Personally I like Nacho more than Gibbs (not to say I don't like Gibbs), but Wenger seems to have Gibbs right now as number one; other than that that is probably the full strength starting XI Wenger will field.

BXI Fútbol

It will be interesting to see if Wilshere will be able to get fit enough and take Ramsey's place.

Wilshere is going through the exact same thing Ramsey went through last year, it takes time to recover your best form after serious injuries like those two have had.

Jenks

Gibbs is better than Monreal both going forward and defending in my view. Monreal was brought in as cover because Santos turned out to be so unbelievably shit. I suspect Monreal will still get a lot of games though, because Gibbs seems to get injured all the time.

Banana-Rama

arsenal certainly look strong in the midfield area, and i think flamini can do the job as a DM when required. i don't view mertesacker as good enough tho, arsenal need a better player to partner koscielny. i have to say giroud has surprised me, he has improved a lot from last season, even so arsenal need another quality striker in the squad. the arsenal squad is still 2-3 players away from being title challengers again, even if they do put a strong enough squad together i don't think arsene wenger is the man to lead them to the league title, arsenal's defensive organisation has been terrible in recent seasons and that comes from the manager.

loozy

They also had 19 clean sheets if I remember correctly and Mertesacker featured in all but one of them ;) So he cannot suck that much; I actually do think he is underappreciated as he does the non-flashy work whereas Kos is the more spectacular CB; togethr, however, they work out very well, as demonstrated by the derby on Sunday.

I'd also credit him for having had a minor hand in convincing Özil to join Arsenal; they got along quite well during their time at Werder Bremen and Mertesacker probably talked a good game :)

Home of Barca Fans