Argentina

Neeraj

I remember Sabella was getting criticize a lot and he took Argentina to a final. Give Tata time before rushing to judgement but based on the game both Brazil and Argentina have a long way to go IMO.

If anything, Sabella was a far worse coach than Tata. He was so bad, especially during the World Cup, and Argentina would have never reached the final if not for individual moments of brilliance, especially from Messi. His tactics and team selection were retarded, and I blame him for Messi not being able to lift the cup. I think Argentina were almost there, and a better coach would have ensured they had that additional bit required to tip Germany over. As you can tell, I'm not really vested in Argentina, I normally support Spain, but I was desperate for Messi to win it. Now with Tata coming in, I dont see that happening in the next WC either..

AURELIUS

Beating GER B doesn't count. I was sceptical about Tata's appointment from the start, but so was I with Sabella. Brazil was his first test, and he failed. But I'm willing to give him time. Going by his MF call-ups, its obvious what he's trying to do. But, before that, he needs to fix his defense. Dim, and FF don't 've the skillset to complement a high defensive line. He also needs to inject some young blood to provide competition for places. Some of the seniors are there not on merit, but on reputation alone.

And sorry, Tevez is not the answer. He's the same player who said he doesn't miss playing for the NT not so while ago. There are some players who are great at the club level, but can't translate that in the NT colors. Tevez falls in to that category. He's had 60+ caps, and done sweet f all. With him, I bet ARG would 've lost the shoot-out against the Dutch. Hell, I doubt they'd even gotten that far. Another choker. Thanks but no thanks. ARG 've already enough chokers on board, except they don't throw tantrums, and play the victim card at every opportunity. It's sad to see otherwise sensible posters ceding to the people's man and media darling pro-tevez campaign. Fk him. I'd rather someone like Ulloa, or a local lad given a chance.

Beating anyone in even in a friendly does count and we were missing several players too Zanela. I'm rather miffed we lost to our old rivals who are nothing special at all.

He certainly needs to retain the defensive solidity and organization Sabella instilled. The midfield was far too open and against two centrebacks who are far from the number one unit Argentina can field.

Tevez yes he has failed previously but let him have another chance. He certainly would not have been as lax or wasteful as Aguero who seems to be a bit shaky for the seleccion. Boye is another in time who deserves due consideration. One must remember Tata was robbed of Musacchio and Kranevitter through injury who would he have chosen. Garay is an absolute must.

And as for Sabella. To win a World Cup takes some luck along the way. Sometimes an injury forces a managers hand for the right reasons but always 31 out of 32 end up apparently as clueless fools. Sabella was far from that. He was robbed of his full team by injuries to Higuain, Aguero and Gago and the absence of di Maria in the final two and a half games.

Even so had those three very presentable chances been taken none of this needless flak he gets would be fired in his direction. The players enjoyed playing for him. He was humble, modest and turned down a fat pay packet abroad to coach the seleccion and bring some much needed stability and pride back to it and it's supporters.

Tata needs to maintain that defensive solidity and not decide to revert to a more open game. He is quite capable of it as well as with Newells and Paraguay but as Zanela and others have pointed out he is still trying to find the right balance. He will also need to bleed in some of the several highly promising young talents into the team over the next two years to get them ready for the tilt at the title in 2018.

AURELIUS

If anything, Sabella was a far worse coach than Tata. He was so bad, especially during the World Cup, and Argentina would have never reached the final if not for individual moments of brilliance, especially from Messi. His tactics and team selection were retarded, and I blame him for Messi not being able to lift the cup. I think Argentina were almost there, and a better coach would have ensured they had that additional bit required to tip Germany over. As you can tell, I'm not really vested in Argentina, I normally support Spain, but I was desperate for Messi to win it. Now with Tata coming in, I dont see that happening in the next WC either..

Then kindly refrain from posting in here. This is not the Lionel Messi fanclub thread but the Argentina thread and for it's dedicated followers. Most of whom have been through thin and thin. If anyone can be blamed you can blame Messi for missing a chance in the final he normally tucks away ninety nine times out of a hundred.

Neeraj

Then kindly refrain from posting in here. This is not the Lionel Messi fanclub thread but the Argentina thread and for it's dedicated followers. Most of whom have been through thin and thin. If anyone can be blamed you can blame Messi for missing a chance in the final he normally tucks away ninety nine times out of a hundred.

Lol that's some retarded logic. First of all, this is a forum, with various threads on various topics. Each thread isn't meant for 'dedicated followers', anyone can post their views, fan or not. According to your logic, there should barely anybody posting on the Ronaldo or Real Madrid thread. Just cause I am not a fan of the Argentina national team, doesn't mean I can't post here...Grow up.

zanela

Tevez yes he has failed previously but let him have another chance. He certainly would not have been as lax or wasteful as Aguero who seems to be a bit shaky for the seleccion. Boye is another in time who deserves due consideration. One must remember Tata was robbed of Musacchio and Kranevitter through injury who would he have chosen. Garay is an absolute must.

The journey to the WC Final was build on mutual respect and harmony amongst a close-knit group. I don't know where Tevez fits in. Firstly he hasn't done anything of note in the NT colors, two, he'd be a persona non grata in the dressing room. Last time, he got called-up due to political pressure, we all know how it ended. I just can't trust a player who doesn't like doing the hard work, but starts making noises just before a tournament approaches. ARG has moved forward, and thats where it should look to. Tevez is the past, and I hope it remains that way.

I haven't watched Boyé. Who, acc to you, is the better prospect between him and Icardi?

I agree with your sentiments on Sabella. Not perfect, but he was smart to identify the team's limitations, and maintain the right balance, on and off the pitch. He messed up with his subs, but thats been a shared weakness of ARG managers before him. :p But his tenure saw more good than bad. From raising Leo's productivity to instilling defensive organisation and confidence in the squad. God Bless him, he even got Romero performing when it mattered the most. :)

Lol that's some retarded logic. First of all, this is a forum, with various threads on various topics. Each thread isn't meant for 'dedicated followers', anyone can post their views, fan or not. According to your logic, there should barely anybody posting on the Ronaldo or Real Madrid thread. Just cause I am not a fan of the Argentina national team, doesn't mean I can't post here...Grow up.

I'm with Aurelius. All that you get to read here is how Leo's NT teammates suck, NT manager suck. It's always and everytime their fault. rinse.repeat. Nothing original or thoughtful about the posting from messi fans. They just show up during a tournament and start whinging and throwing 'expert' opinions about the squad selection and the set-up without having watched even a single qualifier, or knowing what works or doesn't work for the team. Its quite honestly annoying and adds nothing meaningful to the thread, and just brings down the gen. quality of the forum . If you want to make an educated analysis sans bias, be my guest. But if its nothing but hateful and denigrating comments, then I too suggest you to keep out.

Last edited:
B

beautifulgame

gtfo. ur embarrassing urself.

AURELIUS

Considering your knowledge of Argentine coaches and football is minimal as well please refrain from posting in this thread. If you want to practice some real rhetoric and mathematical logic please feel free.

I am a fan of Spain but love to butt into the Argentina thread to post ill informed nonsense just to cover my poster boy Leo.

B

beautifulgame

Considering your knowledge of Argentine coaches and football is minimal as well please refrain from posting in this thread. If you want to practice some real rhetoric and mathematical logic please feel free.

I am a fan of Spain but love to butt into the Argentina thread to post ill informed nonsense just to cover my poster boy Leo.

^^^^^

AURELIUS

It is a calculated risk to bring Tevez back. Will he be faithful or maintain his troublesome ways ? The problem is a lack of a mature striker to replace/complement Higuain/Aguero who both have seen their confidence in the international arena reduced.

One could argue Tevez in his current form (and surely a team should always be selected on form not faith) would not have spurned the chances Aguero missed. Not to mention his continual capacity for hard work. If he could slot into the role Aguero occupied against Brazil or drop into a supporting role to replace Messi when required he would still be an invaluable addition.

All the more considering the failure to secure the World Cup this summer makes winning the Copa America imperative. I think as Argentina fans we are all desperate for senior silverware. It is mentioned time and again but is really criminal that with the production line of players in the last two decades all we have to show for it is one Copa. And with Chile as the hosts, Colombia resurgent and a much tougher Brazilian outfit players of the quality of Tevez cannot afford to be overlooked if he has indeed been reconciled with the rest of the team.

Which is perhaps why Icardi may have more of a challenge entering the team. There is speculation of some antagonism to him (but unproven) but he remains a viable candidate although his overall game needs improvement first. No one can afford to be just a forward now who only scores goals. He is improving gradually and his scoring rate for a youngster is impressive enough.

Boye is more aerially dominant but is technically very competent and for his age is pretty strong at holding the ball up and shrugging off defenders, finding the net from difficult angles and is pretty instinctive at taking his chances. A natural predator who could lead the line someone we have not had since Crespo who also makes a nuisance of himself with his presence.

Vietto has impressed off the bench for Villareal, Ezequiel Ponce at Newell's has shown an eye for goal with plenty of raw talent, creativity but without any maturity, decision making and a degree of selfishness. Dybala is also showing flickers of his talent at Palermo which needs to be kept out of the hands of the Azzurri.

We have plenty of talent all over the pitch from Mammana, Astina, Ruiz and an even younger striker Matias Roskopf which is great/ But for the vast majority 2015 may be too early even for those who are now around 20-21 in order to win the Cup. Iturbe, Lamela, Peruzzi, Kranevitter and Musacchio and depending on how he does this season Lisandro Lopez are all worthy candidates to mix in with Sabellas team.

When the Copa is done and dusted he can make longer term changes because most of the Sabella squad will be over the hill by 2018.

And with u17/u20 qualification next year and World Cups these youngsters need to go through that crucible and once more establish our credentials as one of top youth teams in world football. It's a invaluable experience for the players and we have a large pool to choose from (should all those players be released) and needed to create the nucleus of future teams in establishing long term aims. Most of the WC side went through the experience of the 2005 and 2007 winning sides.

zanela

Nov. Friendlies

Nov 12: vs Croatia
venue: upton park, London

Nov 18: vs Portugal
venue: Old Trafford, Manchester

List to be announced next week.

Home of Barca Fans