Antoine Griezmann

serghei

If theories about Messi dictator are true, maybe Griezz lost motivation because of Messi.

This is why:
1. Messi does what he wants, coaches need to listen to him
2. There are rumors that Messi didn't want Griezz but his pal Neymar
3. There are rumors that Messi don't like him
4. When Griezz scores, there is no bromance like between Messi-Neymar and Messi-Suarez
5. Griezz was bought instead of Neymar (Messi's wish) plus as a new No9 instead of Messi's buddy Suarez
6. The whole team plays like braindead zombies who need to pass to Messi no matter what.
So, even if Griezz makes runs, he rarely gets the ball since all passes have to go to Messi.
7. And then, when Messi gets the ball, Griezz again won't get the ball because Messi will either dribble past 3 and lose, shot or pass to Alba (or Suarez last season)
8. On top of all of this, Griezz needs to play out of position

Griezz thought that he will sign for Fc Barcelona but he signed for Fc Messi and Fc every ball needs to be passed to Messi.

Imo, Griezz is not THAT bad.
But it is hard to shine at Fc Messi.

It's a combination of factors, but of course, him being practically an outsider in this team plays a big part. In the days of Messi and Suarez, the amount of times both ignored Griezmann in a better position to set themselves up was unacceptable.

Like, Griezmann was making a run open, and Messi and Suarez would try some fancy pass in between them. :lol: Of course you don't feel great when that happens, and you feel like all the effort you put in is for nothing.

Not to say that Griezmann has been great, but the conditions for him have been terrible as well.

Last edited:

soul24rage

If theories about Messi dictator are true, maybe Griezz lost motivation because of Messi.

This is why:
1. Messi does what he wants, coaches need to listen to him
2. There are rumors that Messi didn't want Griezz but his pal Neymar
3. There are rumors that Messi don't like him
4. When Griezz scores, there is no bromance like between Messi-Neymar and Messi-Suarez
5. Griezz was bought instead of Neymar (Messi's wish) plus as a new No9 instead of Messi's buddy Suarez
6. The whole team plays like braindead zombies who need to pass to Messi no matter what.
So, even if Griezz makes runs, he rarely gets the ball since all passes have to go to Messi.
7. And then, when Messi gets the ball, Griezz again won't get the ball because Messi will either dribble past 3 and lose, shoot or pass to Alba (or Suarez last season)
8. On top of all of this, Griezz needs to play out of position

Griezz thought that he will sign for Fc Barcelona but he signed for Fc Messi and Fc every ball needs to be passed to Messi.

Imo, Griezz is not THAT bad.
But it is hard to shine at Fc Messi.

A more realistic reason why it's hard for Griezmann to shine at Barcelona is because his best position is taken by Messi.

BBZ8800

A more realistic reason why it's hard for Griezmann to shine at Barcelona is because his best position is taken by Messi.

Players who can pass to Griezmann:
Mats, Pique, Lenglet = non-factors
Roberto = sees mostly Messi
Busi = don't play through balls
Frenkie = sees only Messi
Alba = sees only Messi
Coutinho = passes to all teammates
Fati = passes to all teammates
Messi = ignoring Griezz
Pjanic = for now sees only Messi

So, basically, Griezz can expect a through ball only from Cou and Fati and some rare passes from other teammates.

Honestly, would you run in those circumstances?
He is making a run on a wing, Messi is walking and dropping to a CM, yet Frenkie, Busi, Bob, Alba will pass to Messi.

Why bother?

soul24rage

Alba = sees only Messi
Messi = ignoring Griezz

So, basically, Griezz can expect a through ball only from Cou and Fati and some rare passes from other teammates.

He is making a run on a wing, Messi is walking and dropping to a CM, yet Frenkie, Busi, Bob, Alba will pass to Messi.

Why bother?

This is the way I see it.

Griezmann's best position in Koeman's false-9 4231 system is the CF which is occupied by Messi with Coutinho being responsible for the left half space.
Unless Messi gets injured/suspended/sold, then Griezmann would have to play on the right wing.

The wingers in this system are more responsible for stretching the play horizontally and need to have the skills to beat the opponent.
Griezmann could do the first part of the job, but can't do the second part, which is what I suspect why most players don't pass to Griezmann.

Bob and Griezmann's contributions to the right wing in this system is redundant imo. Neither of them have the individual skills to beat their opponent.
We saw how the right wing was dead for most of the past 3 games.

I am hoping that Dest's arrival with him having the skills to be an attacking threat on his own can help reduce the weakness of Griezmann.
Griezmann can help Dest's limited defensive skills by helping Dest a lot defensively.

I am willing to give Griezmann a chance if Dest is the RB.
If Bob is the RB, then I put either Dembele or Trincao on the right wing.

EDIT: Another solution that I could think of is to play a false 9 433 with Messi as the false 9 and Griezmann as the right inside forward (the role Pedro had)

The below article explains what I think of

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1273848268779290626.html

However, that would mean Coutinho will face the same problems that he did in the 18/19 season.

Last edited:
This is the way I see it.

Griezmann's best position in Koeman's false-9 4231 system is the CF which is occupied by Messi with Coutinho being responsible for the left half space.
Unless Messi gets injured/suspended/sold, then Griezmann would have to play on the right wing.

The wingers in this system are more responsible for stretching the play horizontally and need to have the skills to beat the opponent.
Griezmann could do the first part of the job, but can't do the second part, which is what I suspect why most players don't pass to Griezmann.

Bob and Griezmann's contributions to the right wing in this system is redundant imo. Neither of them have the individual skills to beat their opponent.
We saw how the right wing was dead for most of the past 3 games.

I am hoping that Dest's arrival with him having the skills to be an attacking threat on his own can help reduce the weakness of Griezmann.
Griezmann can help Dest's limited defensive skills by helping Dest a lot defensively.

I am willing to give Griezmann a chance if Dest is the RB.
If Bob is the RB, then I put either Dembele or Trincao on the right wing.

Totally agree with you, I was thinking the same about Dest. If he is able to take Roberto's quickly and become a starter he will be pushing more forward and we might see some good combinations between them. At the moment Messi is more of an obstacle, instead of a solution for the team

soul24rage

Totally agree with you, I was thinking the same about Dest. If he is able to take Roberto's quickly and become a starter he will be pushing more forward and we might see some good combinations between them. At the moment Messi is more of an obstacle, instead of a solution for the team

We still won't see the best version of Griezmann on that right wing, but he'll be a hell more useful for the team with Dest as the RB imo.

I think to see the best version of Griezmann, he needs to play the position where Messi is playing right now.

khaled_a_d

Alba = sees only Messi
Messi = ignoring Griezz

Why bother?

He was still bad when Messi was injured.

JohnN

Lets give excuses to Griezmann that fails to score a sitter, again, and produces absolutely nothing with the ball on his feet, again, no matter the coach, the position, the system and the players he is surrounded by.
We need to blame someone else for this too, and of course it has to be the little dictator.

Let's say Pjanic doesn't pass to him, even though they haven't played together yet to prove our point too.

We can also pin FDJ's catastrophic performances on someone else too, Busi for example.

The hard truth is that Busi and Messi will not be able to perform every 3 days on the same level due to their age. But when they can, they are many levels above the newer guys. I am sorry, we just can't be so consistent yet to be able to beat a great Sevilla side as easily as we did some years ago. And we need freaking Griezmann to score those tap-ins when presented. We need FDJ to stop being cute and miss every second pass. We need the team to be able to play out of pressure from the back.

Fati had a bad game too. He is still 17. But since he is our only option on the left, some criticism should go his way too. Coutinho actually had a game very similar to Messi yesterday, and that should also point to the reason why. We are not physically ready yet, as most teams. Chill out with the hot takes and with always blaming the same people for everything. The other players out there are not kids. The manager is not a kid. Everyone should be criticised to the degree the deserve it, but folks here just go overboard trying to criticize some and excuse others.

Richard.H

In no way, shape, or form can anyone defend Griezmann now. Dude's fighting to be the next Suarez, and I don't mean the 2015-2019 Suarez...

Kul_z

Griezmann is shit. I had my hopes when he scored against napoli, as it was an important away goal scored in cl. And since then he did fuck all to justify the price tag.

Messi doesnt like him, messi doesnt pass to him, the team prefers messi, he runs behind defence..

Yes we saw couple of through balls where he was too slow to do something about it, that de jong pass and his reaction was fuck all but not worthy of 120m price tag. His workrate is good tho

ronniecro

guy made a circus out of his transfer here,pissed on both us and atletico and used both clubs to pander his ego,you think he's here to give his best?he has no passion for this club,he's here just to collect massive wages that we were complete idiots to offer him. for once i'm glad that at least players on pitch ignore him most of the time

Batistuta9

Koeman has to start thinking about dropping him soon. He isn't offering anything at the moment. Ansu has been involved in 4 goals we have scored, coutinho in 3 and Messi in 5. Griezmann has been involved in zero in 3 matches.

fergus90

99% of the people knew it, unfortunately the 1% included the incompetent fool running the club but it was just destined to be a bad move for all parties.

Home of Barca Fans