Antoine Griezmann

behindbrowneyes

Getting Griezmann is all good and well but where does he fit in exactly with Messi, Suarez and Dembele. He would be too expensive to be a squad player and including him in a starting 11 results in a top heavy system. I'd understand the need for an experienced forward if one of them were to go, with the most likely at this stage being Messi but other wise his signing makes little sense for the money involved.

100 Million can get you a decent midfield.

Griezmann - Messi - Dembélé
Suárez won't be starter material for much longer (he isn't atm, let's see what surgery does with his knee and form). Griezmann would perform better in the role Suárez is currently playing in. His speed will help when Leo plays that passes into the interface of the defense line. Short to midterm he is the best option. No need to waste time since Leo won't be there for 10 years. Time to get the best out of him and partner him with players who are worth it.

We will have to follow Griezmann's development of form though.

Vilarrubi

Suárez won't be starter material for much longer (he isn't atm, let's see what surgery does with his knee and form). Griezmann would perform better in the role Suárez is currently playing in. His speed will help when Leo plays that passes into the interface of the defense line. Short to midterm he is the best option. No need to waste time since Leo won't be there for 10 years. Time to get the best out of him and partner him with players who are worth it.

+1

Greizmann is a special player, he can play anywhere up front.. and currently levels above Suarez unfortunately. I hope we go for him..

M

MessiCam

Griezmann makes a lot of sense IMO. A successful forward who's proven his worth on one of the top teams in La Liga, can play the LW naturally and comes at a reasonable price in today's market.

Suarez has no business being in our starting XI anymore.

Griezmann-Messi-Dembele

Everyone in that front three is playing their natural position.

I'd accept this and you know I'm a huge fan of False 9 Messi but unfortunately Suarez is going nowhere and the entire forum knows it. So that leaves us with a 4-2-3-1 system which I'd, in all honesty, love to see but it leaves you light in midfield with at least one defensive midfielder already guaranteed a spot.

With Messi gone, which is a very real possibility at this point, the front three would like this Griezmann-Suarez-Dembele.

M

MessiCam

As I've said, I'm happy with that but I don't see it happening. If dropping Suarez was, in any way, on the cards it would have happened already. Instead we have a manager continuing to blow smoke up his backside after incredibly frustrating performances.

I may be way off but if Barcelona goes in for Griezmann in January at that price point, then Messi is gone.

I'd accept this and you know I'm a huge fan of False 9 Messi but unfortunately Suarez is going nowhere and the entire forum knows it. So that leaves us with a 4-2-3-1 system which I'd, in all honesty, love to see but it leaves you light in midfield with at least one defensive midfielder already guaranteed a spot.

With Messi gone, which is a very real possibility at this point, the front three would like this Griezmann-Suarez-Dembele.

If we're going to get Griezmann I believe it's going to be in the summer, colossal deals like this just don't happen in the winter window. By that point we'd know whether Messi is leaving or not and can act accordingly.

Also I don't believe Suarez can play like this for the rest of the season and still play for us next year. Give it a few more months, the fans will start to whistle him even more and even Barto and Valverde will realize he's a liability after being exposed to his shit tier performances for an entire year.

behindbrowneyes

I may be way off but if Barcelona goes in for Griezmann in January at that price point, then Messi is gone.

Let's see. Leo probably demands a player of Griezmann's class in order to extend his contract.

If we're going to get Griezmann I believe it's going to be in the summer, colossal deals like this just don't happen in the winter window. By that point we'd know whether Messi is leaving or not and can act accordingly.

The difference in this case is that you don't have to negotiate since Griezmann has a buyout-clause. Atlético already bought Costa (as replacement?).

behindbrowneyes

What if player of said class refuses the transfer? A club of Barcelona's stature can't be held ransom like that...

There are more players that would make us better. Doesn't have to be Griezmann, can be Coutinho. Don't think Griezmann would refuse the transfer. He loves Spain and he likes us.

Messi is the GOAT. You don't have to like this attitude but if our management would lead our club how they should there wouldn't be a problem with Leo's extension. He can go anywhere he wants next summer so if he really pressures them it is because he loves this club.

M

MessiCam

There are more players that would make us better. Doesn't have to be Griezmann, can be Coutinho. Don't think Griezmann would refuse the transfer. He loves Spain and he likes us.

Messi is the GOAT. You don't have to like this attitude but if our management would lead our club how they should there wouldn't be a problem with Leo's extension. He can go anywhere he wants next summer so if he really pressures them it is because he loves this club.

It was more hypothetical than anything else.

Anyway, your stance on the Messi situation is interesting.

Givenchy

i think he'll be a Barca player by the end of January. no chance we get Coutinho then and the board will need to do something about the Suarez situation + keeping Messi happy with the contract looming. Costa to Atleti was most likely them preparing for his exit and while United have the money, i can't imagine him liking the idea of playing under Mourinho :lol: and i think he'd rather stay in Spain.

Griezmann-Messi-Dembele with Suarez on the bench would probably paper over the midfield cracks until the summer.

wisconsincule

He couldn’t play for us in the champions league though? I’m all for making a move for someone to push Suárez to the bench but not sure this is the right one

Home of Barca Fans