Andres Iniesta

Elite-BkD

I'm not trying to be a wind up here, I just genuinely don't get why some people rate him so highly, and I only mention it because soemone had the audacity to say his technique was better than Lionel Messi's!!!!

I suspect that's true, because generally you seem to be a very sensible poster (at least from what I've seen of you on here) but there are no two ways about it, you are wrong about Iniesta. Your posts give the distinct impression that you haven't really watched him play week in and week out for any extended period of time and are judging him more on statistics than anything else. Generally, that's a fairly safe way to go about things (ie, 30 goal per season forwards tend to be better than those who score 15 or 10 goals per season, etc) but this is an unusual and very unique case we're dealing with and stats just don't tell the story here.
There's good reason that when he's been healthy he's been an absolutely essential starter in both the most successful Spain side (and indeed one of the most successful national sides) ever, and what is perhaps the most successful Barca team ever. Now I could go on all day posting videos from youtube but that wouldn't do any good (although I will show at least one just to try to make a point) you're going to have to watch Barca matches to see exactly what kind of a player he is. I don't mean to be rude but the fact that you inferred that he isn't creative and can't pass the ball because he has few assists shows clearly that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Iniesta.

Check out this video, and look at the play starting at about 1:00, that's not a goal, it's not an assist, it's just pure Iniesta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuG-7BqV6r4

Same here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPNjELcdyUw

And just watch how he plays at the biggest tournament in world football..although I'm sure a player like that is only as valuable as Lee Jung-Soo or Kalu Uche since they all scored twice, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laoFbGktG0w

Ok, after this one I promise I'm done adding video, just watch the last 30 seconds or so for some nice passes, particularly that nice one against Rubin Kazan (green shirts).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oxigcKrYnU

By the way, judging by the statistics Ronaldo has been better than Messi in la liga this season. Enough said.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

One of the most impressive attributes of Iniesta's game is his ability to perform the same ball handling tricks moving horizontally AND vertically. So, it's almost like you have to turn your head sideways to see what he is doing. Tremendous balance.

He moves on a different plane.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Iniesta is often mentioned in the same breath as Zidane, and the frequency grows with each passing season. They both have that elegant, seemingly effortless control of the ball. Iniesta's main contribution to Barça is in link up play, not finishing, his ball control in tight spaces is unparalleled and this is why he is far more incisive than Xavi and Messi in matches in which teams park the bus. This was strikingly clear against Inter last year when Iniesta was injured. Both Xavi and Messi were basically nullified by the packed defense, but they would have had more room to operate if Andres was making his insane runs in and out of the area.

Oh and without a doubt Iniesta's technique is better than Messi's; if we are just talking about technique, his is the best on the team and probably the best in the world. Of course, Messi has amazing technique as well, but he is the best player in the world because on top of the technique he also has incredible speed, strength and agility coupled with an unmatched desire to put the ball in the fucking net. That said, nobody has the ball on a string like Don Andrés.

Related

2:07 second vid, Iniesta :worthy:

And I agree, Iniesta easily has the best technique in the world, he is just class. If people realize that whenver we face Inter Milan with Iniesta we cut through them at wiil, but without him, we struggled.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

I'm not trying to be a wind up here, I just genuinely don't get why some people rate him so highly, and I only mention it because soemone had the audacity to say his technique was better than Lionel Messi's!!!!
In all honesty, no big deal and all, but if you really have to ask, then you truly are missing the mark entirely of Iniesta.

C

Carefree

I suspect that's true, because generally you seem to be a very sensible poster (at least from what I've seen of you on here) but there are no two ways about it, you are wrong about Iniesta. Your posts give the distinct impression that you haven't really watched him play week in and week out for any extended period of time and are judging him more on statistics than anything else. Generally, that's a fairly safe way to go about things (ie, 30 goal per season forwards tend to be better than those who score 15 or 10 goals per season, etc) but this is an unusual and very unique case we're dealing with and stats just don't tell the story here.
There's good reason that when he's been healthy he's been an absolutely essential starter in both the most successful Spain side (and indeed one of the most successful national sides) ever, and what is perhaps the most successful Barca team ever. Now I could go on all day posting videos from youtube but that wouldn't do any good (although I will show at least one just to try to make a point) you're going to have to watch Barca matches to see exactly what kind of a player he is. I don't mean to be rude but the fact that you inferred that he isn't creative and can't pass the ball because he has few assists shows clearly that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Iniesta.

Check out this video, and look at the play starting at about 1:00, that's not a goal, it's not an assist, it's just pure Iniesta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuG-7BqV6r4

By the way, judging by the statistics Ronaldo has been better than Messi in la liga this season. Enough said.

I'm a massive admirer of La Liga, been watching it for the best part of the last 15 years and i've become even more intrigued with the current Barcelona team. Arguably the best i've ever seen in 2008/09.

That said, Iniesta is an overrated player. I know fully well he's capable of making numerous key passes, but he's more of an entertainer. His dribbling and ball control just last night for example was immaculate and had me smiling, but his end product was non-existant, as it normally always is, even his (rare) assist last night to David Villa was marginally over hit but for Villa's superb control.

I never said he completely lacks vision or passing ability either, but I used that to highlight what makes Messi and Xavi a notch above the rest. Xavi's passing ranges are incredible, like Beckham's crossing. He doesn't need to do the running when he can ping a pass on the money on a consistent basis as he does, in the same way Lionel Messi can just waltz through defences at will and score what is now 104 goals in 120 games under Guardiola.

Entertaining as he is, he's not quite as good as some would have you believe, and he certainly isn't as good as Messi techniqually, and i'm not even going to get started on why.

As for the last comment - Lionel Messi has 19 goals and 7 assists, Ronaldo has 13 and 6 in 1 more game.. enough said. ;-)

Steve Lawler

I'm a massive admirer of La Liga, been watching it for the best part of the last 15 years and i've become even more intrigued with the current Barcelona team. Arguably the best i've ever seen in 2008/09.

That said, Iniesta is an overrated player. I know fully well he's capable of making numerous key passes, but he's more of an entertainer. His dribbling and ball control just last night for example was immaculate and had me smiling, but his end product was non-existant, as it normally always is, even his (rare) assist last night to David Villa was marginally over hit but for Villa's superb control.

I never said he completely lacks vision or passing ability either, but I used that to highlight what makes Messi and Xavi a notch above the rest. Xavi's passing ranges are incredible, like Beckham's crossing. He doesn't need to do the running when he can ping a pass on the money on a consistent basis as he does, in the same way Lionel Messi can just waltz through defences at will and score what is now 104 goals in 120 games under Guardiola.

Entertaining as he is, he's not quite as good as some would have you believe, and he certainly isn't as good as Messi techniqually, and i'm not even going to get started on why.

As for the last comment - Lionel Messi has 19 goals and 7 assists, Ronaldo has 13 and 6 in 1 more game.. enough said. ;-)

Oh god.
Stuck in an EPL bubble.

Iniesta is hands down better than any player in the EPL, and in my opinion the second best player on this planet. Sorry fake-ronaldo.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Iniesta "more of an entertainer".....argh! What is wrong with you? Do you not see how moronic that sounds?

How can anyone who watches and plays football not look at Iniesta and think "My god, I wish I could play half as well as him".

It seriously does sound like you're trying to wind us up, but you really do have this opinion of him don't you? Iniesta's contribution to Barca is far more than assists and goal-scoring, he's certainly not a goal-scorer anyway.

And besides Messi, Xavi and Lampard, who else do you think is apparently better than Iniesta?

jamrock

Didn't think particular poster have the same debate about iniesta a few months back or something like that.

He has a very american fee on sports.

X players have more Shots on target than Y player, hence X player must be better.

football is not about that.

Elite-BkD

As for the last comment, I said "in la liga" , enough said ;p

Iniesta is a rare player because "his" end product (ie his goals and assists) is genuinely irrelevant to him, the end product of the team (ie the 3 points) is what he cares about and an overwhelming majority of the times he starts, he plays an important role and has a very significant and positive impact on his teams end product. I don't know if you think a fancy dribble owning 1-3 players doesn't matter unless it directly results in a goal scoring opportunity, but if you do you're way off. Everything a player does matters, every nice touch that results in retaining possession matters, every time he clowns on a player or dribbles someone (or some three, w/e) it changes the confidence of every player in the game. When a player shows that the opposition just can't handle him or take the ball from him, and that he can do virtually whatever he likes, it matters A LOT to everyone on the field even if he never actually scores/assists in his life. The fact is Barcelona don't need him to be assisting or scoring goals for the most part, once the ball is given to a forward their front three can work brilliantly to set each other up, moreso than most forwards in the world. Plus, as you clearly know, there's always Xavi to provide that assist out of the midfield. Iniesta largely contributes intelligent movement to either pressure the opposition / restrict their options on the ball, and provide a passing option for his teammates which is essentially always safe regardless of how much pressure he's under by the opposition. His runs up the field and dribbles are intended to open up space for teammates, which they do brilliantly, and then he puts the ball in the right place. His passing is simple and possession oriented when necessary, and when the timing is right he puts the ball in more dangerous positions. It's worth mentioning that with his intelligence and understanding he is remarkably consistent at making the right decision when he has the ball as well.
At any rate, we may never agree but I have to mention again that he's one of the most obvious starters (behind Xavi and of course Messi) for two of the most successful teams of all time. You want end product? Take a look at what Spain and Barca have achieved lately.

Edit: Just for fun..

"I'm not obsessed with Messi, Iniesta is the danger," Ferguson says. "He's fantastic. He makes the team work. The way he finds passes, his movement and ability to create space is incredible. He's so important for Barcelona."

Last edited:

gingerless

watching him touch the ball is like the most intensive orgasm you can get

btw that sjurinho fuck doesn't label his vids with the songs, i want some of them so bad

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Carefree obiously doesnt watch as many Barcelona games as he claims because if he dud he would know that Iniesta is AWESOME!

Home of Barca Fans