Andres Iniesta

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I can't conclude anything with only one piece of data, but it's an extremely convincing and interesting statistic. How about win/loss charts with Xavi and Messi? :D
My original chart (i actually did a few months ago) was about the Xaviesta relationship and Iniestas different positions, worked into a single chart:

Its fairly interesting, like i was esp. surprised that Iniesta played more on the wing than in the MF, which i wasnt really aware although i watched most matches. But its just some statistics that has to be used with caution ;)

Btw, i used http://www.football-lineups.com/ as source.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
That's a really interesting table. 3 games without them both and 3 defeats :lol: it shows the importance of the Xaviesta midfield partnership though.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
That's a really interesting table. 3 games without them both and 3 defeats :lol: it shows the importance of the Xaviesta midfield partnership though.
I bet those were the last three games or one in the cup. I also bet Messi/Henry/Yaya/Piqué/.... weren't playing as well.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I bet those were the last three games or one in the cup. I also bet Messi/Henry/Yaya/Piqué/.... weren't playing as well.
It were matchdays 36 and 37 prior to the CL final and the CL group match vs Donzek, where indeed pretty much all regulars were missing.

But its showing the flaws of these statistics and that you have to be careful how you interprete them ...

J

justin

Actually it's generally Xavi who looks better when playing alongside Iniesta, rather than the other way around. It's funny how Samuel Etoo is scoring nowhere near the number of goals he was at Barça, how Messi doesn't play as well without Iniesta in the side.

Cesc Fabregas can't get Iniesta out of the Spain team, he wouldn't come close to pushing him out of the Barça side. It's only ignorant London journos who can't figure out why Cesc doesn't play for Spain, the rest fo the world know exactly why and the reasons are called Xavi and Andrés Iniesta. It has nothing to do with team politics. Fabregas is a decent player who looks better than he is because he gets so much space in the EPL, he doesn't have anywhere near the ability to open play, dribble or dictate the game in the way Iniesta does, but obviously you can't get statistics on those aspects of football so they don't count :rolleyes:
Actually Etoo scored many goals because of Messi and Xavi not Iniesta, also it's harder to score goals in Italy because teams are more defensive.

Also you are wrong to say that Fabregas gets so much space in the EPL. There actually less space in the EPL compare to Spain because midfielders in England tend to be more aggressive and close down space more quickly and defences in England are more compact and organised.

Also Fabregas can open up play and dictate the game much better than Iniesta does. Fabregas is the main creative force for Arsenal and all their movements forward go though Fabregas. While Iniesta is only a complimentary player playing a supporting role to Xavi and Messi.

If Xavi gets injured can Barcelona rely on Iniesta to be the main creative force in midfield? No, whereas Fabregas based on his Arsenal performance showed he could be the main midfield creative force in midfield for Barcelona.

Fabregas tends to release passes more quickly than Iniesta, while Iniesta can dwell on the ball and lose it.

Fabregas short passing game is more incisive and intelligent than Iniesta, look at the chances Fabregas creates for Arshavin and Van Persie.

Fabregas does accurate long passes to either spread the play or release the forwards quickly something which Iniesta can't do.

I will rely to the rest when I have time.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Actually Etoo scored many goals because of Messi and Xavi not Iniesta, also it's harder to score goals in Italy because teams are more defensive.

Also you are wrong to say that Fabregas gets so much space in the EPL. There actually less space in the EPL compare to Spain because midfielders in England tend to be more aggressive and close down space more quickly and defences in England are more compact and organised.

Also Fabregas can open up play and dictate the game much better than Iniesta does. Fabregas is the main creative force for Arsenal and all their movements forward go though Fabregas. While Iniesta is only a complimentary player playing a supporting role to Xavi and Messi.

If Xavi gets injured can Barcelona rely on Iniesta to be the main creative force in midfield? No, whereas Fabregas based on his Arsenal performance showed he could be the main midfield creative force in midfield for Barcelona.

Fabregas tends to release passes more quickly than Iniesta, while Iniesta can dwell on the ball and lose it.

Fabregas short passing game is more incisive and intelligent than Iniesta, look at the chances Fabregas creates for Arshavin and Van Persie.

Fabregas does accurate long passes to either spread the play or release the forwards quickly something which Iniesta can't do.

facepalm_statue.jpg

Aasim

Bumbleman
How did i miss this guy?

Justin, where are you from?? UK? You need to watch Iniesta to actually know how he plays. Wikipedia doesn't tell you how well a player performs. and what do you mean about team politics? If it's politics for the reasonFabregas isn't played then why isn't Raul being picked?

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
I need to post this video:
[youtube]h8ef3iw4CTQ[/youtube]

Compact defense-splitting, incisive and intelligent pass. PLUS this is a goal purely created by Iniesta, still Xavi gets one point to his assist tally. This went on for a whole year.

sammy

Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite

My my...seriously justin, how old are you? nevermind....whatever get you through the night

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Perfect example Gnegneri, what Justin has shown is that he has no understanding of how goals are created, only the final pass. You don't have to be a genius about football to know there is much more to creating a goalscoring opportunity than the final ball.

Aasim

Bumbleman
The fact that we play a possession game and work our way to an opening means that every pass is as important as the actual assist. Iniesta is the player who runs with the ball to move the defense and create that opening, plays it to another player who can pick out Eto'o/Zlatan/Messi...

Home of Barca Fans